• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Methanol Leak.... Fixed!

Started by bpd1151, June 05, 2018, 11:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpd1151

Much to my dismay, I've been dealing with a leak from OEM washer reservoir for the last few months, in an on again, off again fashion.

I noticed back in February/March of this year, when I swapped out my Alky-Controls pump, that I was leaking meth from the low tank sensor on the OEM Washer Tank.

Not wanting to swap out the entire reservoir (all one piece, including the sensor, etc.) I foolishly began my attempts at using various caulk/sealing products.

Boy was that dumb.

Repeatedly jacking up the car, applying whatever goop product, then lowering car and allowing the appropriate 24hr. or so drying/curing time. Then filling up the tank partially, only to discover the leaking still occurring. Gggrrrr.

This went on for several weeks, whenever time permitted, and using x, y, z products.

NONE OF THEM WORKED!

Crunch time, so I began searching. 2018 Ford National's was quickly approaching. I finally found that stupid little rubber grommet that surrounds the low tank sensor itself, and plugs the hole.

Only problem was, NO ONE STOCKS THE PART! Literally.

So, I was unable to get it in time for the aforementioned event, which forced me to behave and drive like a "normal" person for each 11hr trip back -n- forth to/from Carlisle.

Boy did that sure suck. Especially given the amount of cars that wanted to play.

Anyhow, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND ORDERING AHEAD OF TIME! the following parts:

The "Level Sensor Grommet". Part number: 7T4Z-16K624-AA which can be had for anywhere between $3 to $5 each.

As well as the optional "Low Tank Sensor" (does NOT come supplied with above grommet). Part number: 7T4Z-17B649-AA which can be had for anywhere between $8 to $10 each.

See/Refer to the pics below. In the diagram, they are labeled as number(s) 14 and 15 respectively.

Now I purchased the sensor as well, because the car is now 8 years old. At about year 4 of ownership, I had the misfortune of colliding with the mother of all raccoons, which took out my lower front spoiler, and damaged the entire lower channel/lip of the front bumper cover. I noticed when replacing those two items, that my OEM Washer Reservoir was leaking in the same spot as described in this thread.

So at that time, I simply chose to purchase the entire assembled reservoir unit, not knowing that these individual parts existed within the database.

So it's been almost another 4yrs, so the grommet seems to be lasting around that average (3 to 4 years).

Hopefully this saves some of you not only the headaches of trying to fix this, but more importantly the EXPENSE of fixing it.

Do not bother spending the money on aftermarket glues, adhesives, etc. no matter how much they claim they'll work. THEY DON'T!!!. This I assure each of you.

Happy motoring!

SHOdded

Thanks for the writeup, and glad you now have a working solution :thumb:

Whenever I need to locate parts that normal dealer sites won't show, I go to fordpartsgiant.com, so much better, except they don't have the diagrams.  For parts related to the washer, for instance,
https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts-list/2010-ford-taurus/windshield-washer.html?Filter=(38591;30734;43021)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

X2- Nice writeup info! So essentially you were able to gain access through the wheel well!! Glad you were able to isolate the leak! Thanks again.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

bpd1151

Quote from: ZSHO on June 05, 2018, 06:40:08 PM
X2 Nice writup info! So essentially you were able to gain access through the wheel well! Thanks again.  Z
One can either access the area described by either.....

A.) Via the wheel well liner

-or-
B.) The smaller under belly ban by either removing it entirely, or just loosening the passenger side to expose the same area.

Either, or.

ZSHO

I usually search on Ebay by part number and sometimes they do provide PICS of the actual physical part just to get an idea on exactly whats included,under new/other parts for sale .  Z   :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Scott4957

Good info, I need to get in there and hopefully replace the pump. Running meth seems to have killed my window washer pump, but the low tank sensor works LOL. Any idea if that pump is easy to replace, I assume its part of the tank and can be purchased. I'll never install meth in the washer tank again!
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned