• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Current go to Brake kit?

Started by lamrith, October 02, 2019, 06:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamrith

Did a quick search and the brake threads are 2+yrs old.  Is there anything new on the brake scene for the SHO?

New tires last year have transformed the car, the 275/40 GMax AS05's have tons of grip to spare.  Off the line, in corners and stopping these tires just refuse to let go.  My brakes I have always felt had great power and good modulation.  They have always felt like they had lot of grip without biting hard on initial touch or squeeling like some of the super high performance setups.

I have had two emergency panic stop situations in the last month and they have me questioning if my brakes are actually up to snuff.  As mentioned above I have not been able to get the tires to lose grip.  Even in a brake pedal to firewall panic situation.  The good news was the car STOPS RIGHT NOW, but I still find myself a bit concerned that after a certain level of braking force they do seem to bite any harder regardless of how hard I push the pedal.  I did NOT hear/feel ABS kick in in either situation, but the brakes seemed unable to lock the wheels for abs to come into play.  The second instance was a 40mph to stop situation and car felt like it stopped in about a car length, but at the end the car felt almost like it rolled to a hard stop rather than screeched to one.  Hard to describe but I hope that it is making sense, but I could feel that the brakes were not overcoming tire traction on the road?  Big tires or not I think the brakes should be able to lock a wheel from turning period?  Normally in a panic and ABS type situation that last 1-2ft the abs gives up and tires will skid a bit, that is not happening with my car.

I do not know if wear wise my car is ready for brakes (will look soon) but I think it is time to look into replacement/upgrades.  This is a stop and go traffic daily driver, not a track car, so while I want power, I am not looking for hard racing pads that squeal until they get hot either :-p
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

SHOdded

You already have a Perf Pkg SHO, so OEM pads or police pads are currently the best bets.  A brake fluid flush could help, use hi temp/racing fluid.  Valvoline full synthetic works pretty well even for autoX so that's something to look into.  Wont work for new car lines that use ULV brake fluid tho.

Have not yet tried EBC Orangestuff, so no comment on that.  Pedal feel isn't the best on the SHO to begin with, so don't go by that.  Maybe bleed the ABS, that can help even if ABS is not used.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

lamrith

Thanks SHODDed!  The car stops hard, just find it surprising in those panics that there was no ABS engagement.  I bought the car used from a dealer, but who knows what pads the PO put on it.  I will have to get in there and check.  This car is not driven hard where I am on the brakes often cornering where I would think boiling is even in the realm, but I will check fluid as well.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

SHOdded

No loss of traction detected, so no ABS.  But yeah, air in the ABS does not necessarily set codes, while causing the symptoms you are mentioning.  Either find a gravel road to do some hard stops, or check Forscan Lite to see if they have that function, or have a shop/dealer do it.  If Forscan does offer it, be prepared to hold the brake pedal down HARD, LOL.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

lamrith

Quote from: SHOdded on October 02, 2019, 06:30:19 PM
No loss of traction detected, so no ABS.  But yeah, air in the ABS does not necessarily set codes, while causing the symptoms you are mentioning.  Either find a gravel road to do some hard stops, or check Forscan Lite to see if they have that function, or have a shop/dealer do it.  If Forscan does offer it, be prepared to hold the brake pedal down HARD, LOL.

Thanks man, I will see what I can find.  I do have forscan so that is an option.

SHOdded

avidmotion

My current go to set up is EBC ROTORS and back to stock PP pads which are made by performance friction with carbon/kevlar semi metallic formulation. Great pads.
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.