• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Downpipes for Flex/SHO/Explorer V6 Ecoboost/Lincoln MKT/MKS

Started by EcoPowerParts, February 15, 2013, 02:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

Sorry for the delay guys, the first set of production pipes needed some massaging for perfect fitting, the jigs are being updated as well. Dyno possibly tomorrow morning, PPE has been spending all day updating the pipe layout.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

EcoPowerParts

Updated pictures of the pipes:

www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

Fa-SHO

2013 SHO w/PP, x-pipe, dynomax mufflers, k&n drop-in filter, 170* t-stat, 3-bar MAP, LMS tune
1/8th: 8.71 @ 84 mph (factory stock)
1/8th: 8.18 @ 84 mph (above mods)
1/4: 12.80 @ 107 mph (above mods)

bnoon

Some pictures of my install this weekend. I ended up breaking one stud on the front turbo housing. Luckily it broke with about 3/8" sticking out, so I ground it off a touch to true it up, started a nut, welded it to the stud, and got it to pop free. The amazing part was I had exhaust studs from my old '99 Contour 3 liter swap and one of those worked perfectly!

I did have one fitment issue with the rear pipe not clearing the axle bearing mount on the passenger side of the engine. There's enough room that this pipe should be able to be moved rearward and corrected by the manufacturer. I can't believe I didn't take a picture of this but will do so to help the guys correct this before any more pipes go out. All I had to do was pop it with a ball peen hammer a few times to get enough clearance for the pipe to slip into place, but I would have liked it more if I didn't have to do this obviously.

bnoon

More pictures. The one with the shop light, I was trying to show where the O2 sensor clip was on the lower edge of the head on the passenger's side. Can't quite see it in the picture, but it's there. Believe it or not, that was the hardest thing for me to get done.

bnoon

Forgot to mention first driving impressions. Good increase in power, no change in exhaust note, though there is a slight whistle now. Those with an intake probably will not notice that though since an intake probably makes more whistle anyway. Spools a few hundred rpm sooner too, giving those 255\45\20 Hancooks more than they can handle.

EcoPowerParts

Nice pics! Weird you had to clearance, I know of 2 others that didn't have to so it must have been a difference in either the car - some guy had the same issue with the Livenois pipes on his SHO or a small difference in the downpipe manufacturing. Paul and I looked for that bearing on my car according to SHO pictures and couldn't find it.
www.ecopowerparts.com -

bnoon

After the rear one makes the second bend to run parallel with the axle shaft, that is where the bearing housing is located. The pipe has easily a couple inches clearance on the firewall side to be moved that direction, at least on the Flex it does. Not sure about the SHO.

EcoBrick Bob

Is the early buy price still in effect?

I tried to find out on PPE site but there is no price listed, just the two options and the $100. up front charge.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

bnoon

Found the broken stud in my jacket pocket this morning. Broken one left, magic one right... I say magic because I had tried 5 times to weld other nuts to the stud and they all kept breaking the weld. Then I got the bright idea to cut an "X" into the stud, then put the nut on, then pounded a stainless steel nail into the middle of the "X" to flare it as much as I could, then pounded the crap out of the end of the stud with a ball peen hammer, THEN welded it. When it finally came out, I ran inside to show my girlfriend and said "Taaaaa daaahhh!!!"  :biggrin:

PopolZ

Went to a muffler shop... getting the downpipes installed and a custom 3rd cat + resonator delete   :-[

Should be done on Monday :D
2010 Ford Taurus SHO, non-PP, Steel Blue #243 of 301 - Custom tune by Torrie@Unleashed, PPE non-catted downpipes, custom 3rd cat & resonator delete, water/meth injection, HKS SSQV3 BOV and Carbotech AX6 brake pads.

1991 Nissan Skyline GTR, Pearl Black Metallic - a few goodies

bnoon

Just to let everyone know, unless you have an overtightened nut on the from the factory like mine did, this is a VERY easy install. Even with the trouble I had, it was barely over a 3 hour job. No special tools, just a couple sockets with long extensions and a couple wrenches. With no issues you could easily do this in under 2 hours on stands in your driveway.

EcoBrick Bob

I contacted PPE Engineering by e-mail when I couldn't find a price on their site for either set of downpipes.  The 20% discount is no longer available, except for one lucky person who will do a before and after Dyno check, but I still don't know what the new price is.

Based on my NESHO mid-pipe, I am sure that downpipes will gain you some extra HP, but how much is still unknown, and will the NESHO mid-pipe help more, help less, or hurt the downpipe increase.

Also wondering how much extra sound, and if there's any drone issue.
My NESHO pipe sounds good outside and in the front 2 rows, but is annoying in the third row.

Guess we need more data.  I have decided to wait.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: EcoBrick Bob on April 24, 2013, 12:00:59 PM
I contacted PPE Engineering by e-mail when I couldn't find a price on their site for either set of downpipes.  The 20% discount is no longer available, except for one lucky person who will do a before and after Dyno check, but I still don't know what the new price is.

Based on my NESHO mid-pipe, I am sure that downpipes will gain you some extra HP, but how much is still unknown, and will the NESHO mid-pipe help more, help less, or hurt the downpipe increase.

Also wondering how much extra sound, and if there's any drone issue.
My NESHO pipe sounds good outside and in the front 2 rows, but is annoying in the third row.

Guess we need more data.  I have decided to wait.
The price for catted pipes is $1000 the price for non-catted pipes are $850.
I did not notice an increase in sound with my catted downpipes and stock exhaust, just more power.
www.ecopowerparts.com -

bnoon

I went with catless pipes and there still no drone, but I still have the stock exhaust beyond these pipes.