• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" SHO and Flex convert to vent to atmosphere with factory blow off valves

Started by EcoPowerParts, May 08, 2013, 03:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metroplex

Can anyone confirm our BOVS only open upon throttle closure? I was reading some recirculating BOVS will open slightly under vacuum since it is intended to be recirculating.

So there aren't any gains on the dyno? Would VTA help reduce hot air going back into the system? What about decrease in boost, it n would be the same as stock?
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

FearlessAZ

Finally got around to doing this a few days ago. I love it! Instructions were spot on. Did have a little difficulty with the rear clamps but was able to rotate and remove them with some channel locks.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

SHOdded

Quote from: FearlessAZ on January 16, 2017, 08:36:07 AM
Finally got around to doing this a few days ago. I love it! Instructions were spot on. Did have a little difficulty with the rear clamps but was able to rotate and remove them with some channel locks.
Sound clips!!!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Quote from: FearlessAZ on January 16, 2017, 08:36:07 AM
I recall when doing mine a few yrs back that the rear clamp was facing the firewall making the procedure that much harder for removal and guess ford did it for a reason, enjoy. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FearlessAZ

That is basically how both mine were. The front took less than 5 minutes. The back one took probably a good 20-30 minutes and an urban dictionary on modern curse words.

I will try to see if I can get video tomorrow. She has been sitting the last couple of weeks (trying not to put so many miles on her and driving about once a week). I will be taking her out to watch Barrett Jackson tomorrow and there is plenty of open road and highway during that drive.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

MiWiAu

Quote from: ZSHO on January 16, 2017, 09:04:11 AM
I recall when doing mine a few yrs back that the rear clamp was facing the firewall making the procedure that much harder for removal and guess ford did it for a reason, enjoy. Z
I highly doubt it was done to make field removal more difficult; more for production expediency.

Most likely reason being that it made off-line subassembly much quicker as the operator would have a much easier time installing the clamp in that orientation.

I got a set of these and had my rear BOV mod done in less than 5 minutes: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F5JM0O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_CeoFybAZA24VP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

SHOdded

Quote from: FearlessAZ on January 16, 2017, 09:16:20 AM
The back one took probably a good 20-30 minutes and an urban dictionary on modern curse words.
LOL!  Enjoy the show, and bring us back pics/vids from the event!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

metroplex

Quote from: MiWiAu on January 16, 2017, 10:06:06 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on January 16, 2017, 09:04:11 AM
I highly doubt it was done to make field removal more difficult; more for production expediency.

Most likely reason being that it made off-line subassembly much quicker as the operator would have a much easier time installing the clamp in that orientation.

I got a set of these and had my rear BOV mod done in less than 5 minutes: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F5JM0O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_CeoFybAZA24VP

That tool was awesome. I used this today and the rear clamps came off in literally 5 seconds, easier than the front clamp near the airbox.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

derfdog15

I was going to go VTA before I did the charge pipes, but couldn't get the back clamp off, so i just waited till I did the charge pipes, and ended up having to twist the chargepipe to be able to get to the clamp.

Nice to see that there is a tool to make it easier for others.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

timbo

Quote from: metroplex on December 26, 2016, 08:20:46 AM
Can anyone confirm our BOVS only open upon throttle closure? I was reading some recirculating BOVS will open slightly under vacuum since it is intended to be recirculating.

So there aren't any gains on the dyno? Would VTA help reduce hot air going back into the system? What about decrease in boost, it n would be the same as stock?
I think I mentioned this in another forum.  Was curious about this also.  Are we sure these are BOVs and not BPVs?  Great if so, but if they are BPVs, I don't recommend leaving them completely open.  Throwing some filters on will help.
2011 SHO PP - Mild mods and 13+ Brakes
2018 Explorer Sport - Stock

MiWiAu

Quote from: timbo on February 13, 2017, 11:50:49 PM
Quote from: metroplex on December 26, 2016, 08:20:46 AM
I think I mentioned this in another forum.  Was curious about this also.  Are we sure these are BOVs and not BPVs?  Great if so, but if they are BPVs, I don't recommend leaving them completely open.  Throwing some filters on will help.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm off base, but I was under the impression that a BOV and a BPV function in much the same way to relieve pressure on throttle closure under boost. The difference being that a BOV can exit to atmosphere vs a BPV which recirculates the air into the intake. I believe the BPV is important in MAF applications where the air has already been metered, where a BOV would screw up MAF readings (because you are dumping pre-metered air).

In either case, though, I don't think air flow reverses through a BOV or BPV (from the intake to charge pipe) when under vacuum.

Since the EcoBoost uses a MAP sensor to meter air, a BOV to ATM anywhere prior to the intake manifold will not screw up  readings, and I don't believe there are any issues with VTA ingesting unfiltered air, since the direction of flow is always "out" because they're only actuating when under boost, not vacuum.

2013 XSport

ZSHO

FWIW ended up using a K&N vent filter a while back which worked quite well in not letting dirt build up accumulate inside the BOV. Z
K&N 62-1370  21.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029WXTA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: ZSHO on February 16, 2017, 11:08:15 AM
FWIW ended up using a K&N vent filter a while back which worked quite well in not letting dirt build up accumulate inside the BOV. Z
K&N 62-1370  21.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029WXTA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
did it change the sound at all? wouldn't mind something to quiet mine down a bit.

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

ZSHO

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on February 16, 2017, 11:41:44 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on February 16, 2017, 11:08:15 AM
K&N 62-1370  21.99
did it change the sound at all? wouldn't mind something to quiet mine down a bit.

I don't recall as this was over two years ago and only for a short period of time and went back to stock.
IMO would purchase one and see if you notice any changes in sound. Z