• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

AJPTurbo boost regulator mod with EcoPowerParts charge pipes

Started by derfdog15, December 17, 2016, 07:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derfdog15

Quote from: MiWiAu on December 27, 2016, 08:14:29 PM
Quote from: derfdog15 on December 27, 2016, 08:07:19 PM

It is one of the options on the Eco Power Parts piping, the TiAL Q 50 will be used to replace the OEM BOVs. It has been rumoured that the stock BOVs can not handle higher boost levels that upgraded turbos give, but who knows, no real gains/differences have been seen. However, I really love the sound of the Q 50 BOV, and liked the bling option, so I went for it with the hot pipes.

Ahh, okay, duh. :) Forgot the hot pipes have the option to remove stock BOV. Still waiting for the XSport pipes. :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries, and I hope they come to fruition soon, I am starting to become a baby about driving the SHO in winter (IDK why, it handles perfectly) and may look to get an XSport or a newer expedition as a winter car/travel car (so my cats can ride in style lol). The new expeidition is a bit more appealing, since it appears to have the F150 mounting on the ecoboost, and I like the body style a bit more, plus its a bit bigger (and to my knowledge there aren't many mods, if any, specific for it, though F150 ones might work--so I would be able to keep it stock without much work). If I got an XSport, I feel like it would end up just being a bigger version of my SHO, right down to the rims and tires lol.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

StealBlueSho

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 27, 2016, 08:00:11 PM
IMG 3753 looks like you have a giant silver..Ummm member.... Who new AJP was really silver surfer in disguise!!! Looks awesome, the setup that is. But you sold the SHO right? Where are you getting the test subject from?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have not sold my SHO, I still owe ~27k on her in fact! Working on my own car, but this will be the last mod for a while, then I need to put mod money into paying the car off a bit quicker. Once its payed down substantially the list is

1. Coilovers
2. ATP turbos
3. Custom FMIC
4...hopefully upgraded HPFP

As for the image, I was pretty excited picking the pipes up from the welder, but I have heard AJP has quite the way with the ladies so who knows!

Quote from: MiWiAu on December 27, 2016, 08:00:54 PM
Wow, that looks like some nice work! Noob question, but why a BOV in addition to the wastegate on the intake?

It is one of the options on the Eco Power Parts piping, the TiAL Q 50 will be used to replace the OEM BOVs. It has been rumoured that the stock BOVs can not handle higher boost levels that upgraded turbos give, but who knows, no real gains/differences have been seen. However, I really love the sound of the Q 50 BOV, and liked the bling option, so I went for it with the hot pipes.
Damn...Tapatalk got me... I thought AJP posted that... Well...I stand corrected. Great Job on the fab work!! And congrats on the uh.. member good Sir...

derfdog15

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 27, 2016, 08:26:50 PM
IMG 3753 looks like you have a giant silver..Ummm member.... Who new AJP was really silver surfer in disguise!!! Looks awesome, the setup that is. But you sold the SHO right? Where are you getting the test subject from?

I have not sold my SHO, I still owe ~27k on her in fact! Working on my own car, but this will be the last mod for a while, then I need to put mod money into paying the car off a bit quicker. Once its payed down substantially the list is

1. Coilovers
2. ATP turbos
3. Custom FMIC

As for the image, I was pretty excited picking the pipes up from the welder, but I have heard AJP has quite the way with the ladies so who knows!

Wow, that looks like some nice work! Noob question, but why a BOV in addition to the wastegate on the intake?

Damn...Tapatalk got me... I thought AJP posted that... Well...I stand corrected. Great Job on the fab work!! And congrats on the uh.. member good Sir...

All good! I have his graces to do the mod though, so hopefully I do right by him and it comes out perfect.

I'll post a plethora more pics once everything is actually installed, but till then its just a waiting game!
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

ZSHO

1. Coilovers
2. ATP turbos
3. Custom FMIC

I think the Tial-Q 50mm BOV is rated up to 20-psi and awesome progress so far and looking forward to the finishing touches and a great start for 2017. Z  :thumb:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

derfdog15

Got impatient and did a bit of install today. Got the intercooler to throttlebody pipe(TiAL BOV pipe) installed. It also has the wastegate boost regulator! Routed my vacuum lines as well and hooked it all up. Car still has the stock BOVs and most of the stock charge piping, until I get the rest of the pipes installed tomorrow. But as it sits the TiAL Q seems to work well. No test of the boost regulator yet as all I did was rev the car and go back to idle.

AJPTurbo is also sending me a tune revision to include the boost regulator mod along with my downpipes spall I have to do is install and load the tune.

Enjoy the pics! (Included a few of my theottlebody as well to show how clean it is at the moment, 12.5k miles with the stock pic system and no catch cans, I still may get a UPR unit at some point)

MiWiAu

FYI, there's one other 17.8 psi spring combo for the wastegate that's not on the Tial chart (it's a 3 spring combo). Based on the tolerances of the springs in the kit, you could try the 3 spring combo if the 2 springs don't seem to be quite enough. I think for the 15.95 psi, there were three different spring combos you could use to achieve the same theoretical rating.

I'm out of town right now, but I sent Brad a spreadsheet of all the possible combinations, since the Tial chart only shows one possible spring combo for each setting. He'll get you dialed in, no doubt. :)

2013 XSport

derfdog15

Quote from: MiWiAu on December 28, 2016, 05:27:09 PM
FYI, there's one other 17.8 psi spring combo for the wastegate that's not on the Tial chart (it's a 3 spring combo). Based on the tolerances of the springs in the kit, you could try the 3 spring combo if the 2 springs don't seem to be quite enough. I think for the 15.95 psi, there were three different spring combos you could use to achieve the same theoretical rating.

I'm out of town right now, but I sent Brad a spreadsheet of all the possible combinations, since the Tial chart only shows one possible spring combo for each setting. He'll get you dialed in, no doubt. :)

You ROCK! I looked at the chart and thought there may be a few other options left out, they seem to go in set steps.

Feel free to post that spreadsheet up at some point, but for now I am hoping this will work as needed. I am excited to run around with solid fuel pressure and minimal boost spikes!

StealBlueSho

I think the issue is the diameter of the springs right? You can't use two springs of the same diameter since the wastegate has one grove per spring diameter.. so while looking at the spring chart helps, you need to make sure that the spring combination will actually fit in the wastegate.

IE.. in theory the blue spring is not listed but has a rated psi of 8.7 which is discovered by subtracting the yellow psi out of the 15.95psi (blue/yellow)combination which is listed at 7.25 to give you what the blue spring is... However you may not be able to use the blue spring with the red spring to achieve 14.5psi since I believe the diameter of the springs will not allow them to work together.

derfdog15

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 28, 2016, 05:42:17 PM

I think the issue is the diameter of the springs right? You can't use two springs of the same diameter since the wastegate has one grove per spring diameter.. so while looking at the spring chart helps, you need to make sure that the spring combination will actually fit in the wastegate.

IE.. in theory the blue spring is not listed but has a rated psi of 8.7 which is discovered by subtracting the yellow psi out of the 15.95psi (blue/yellow)combination which is listed at 7.25 to give you what the blue spring is... However you may not be able to use the blue spring with the red spring to achieve 14.5psi since I believe the diameter of the springs will not allow them to work together.

I believe the black and white are the largest size, blue and red in the middle, and yellow and green the smallest. So like you said, you can only combine one from each size.

https://www.maperformance.com/products/tial-sport-replacement-mvr-mvs-wastegate-springs-mvr-mvs?gclid=CPfN9un4l9ECFQeewAod6CAObg

MiWiAu

Quote from: derfdog15 on December 28, 2016, 05:38:24 PM

You ROCK! I looked at the chart and thought there may be a few other options left out, they seem to go in set steps.

Feel free to post that spreadsheet up at some point, but for now I am hoping this will work as needed. I am excited to run around with solid fuel pressure and minimal boost spikes!
Sure thing! I'll be home tomorrow evening and can post it up tomorrow.

Mine was acting strange. I was initially only running 14psi of boost and the 15.95 and both 17.8 psi spring combos both resulted in the gate hanging open on shifts and my duty cycle would climb to 90-100%. Pretty atypical, I gather, from what Brad has seen on the SHO. He has ways to dial it in when you get close with your spring settings, and we were suspecting that maybe some of my springs were mismarked (unconfirmed). We eventually found a spring combo and boost setting that worked well.

I got really good at changing gate springs as well. Less than 8 minutes to remove the gate, change the springs, and reinstall. :)

2013 XSport

StealBlueSho

Point is, don't bank on wastegate spring combinations by the spring chart alone, there is a reason for them developing the chart..

During Brad and my testing I needed around a 16.5 - 17 or so spring rate which is not available via the spring combinations.. verified when I called TiAL.. so that's when I threw on a manual boost controller..

MiWiAu

Yeah, you can use up to three springs (small, medium, and large diameter) in any combination, but you can't use two of the same diameter. My kit came with 2 springs of each diameter.

When I put together my spring chart, I took this into account. There were two options for the 17.4 springs and I think there were 3 options for the 15.95 setting.

Some of the other duplicates, if memory serves, were well below or above what is likely to be your required set point.

I also considered a manual boost controller early on, but Brad was able to dial it in with the tune.

2013 XSport

derfdog15

Quote from: MiWiAu on December 28, 2016, 08:05:54 PM
Yeah, you can use up to three springs (small, medium, and large diameter) in any combination, but you can't use two of the same diameter. My kit came with 2 springs of each diameter.

When I put together my spring chart, I took this into account. There were two options for the 17.4 springs and I think there were 3 options for the 15.95 setting.

Some of the other duplicates, if memory serves, were well below or above what is likely to be your required set point.

I also considered a manual boost controller early on, but Brad was able to dial it in with the tune.

I am hoping to stay away from the MBC route on this car, if possible, but if needed I am open to it. I think we will be able to dial it in without need for the MBC though. I have one for my mustang turbo build that I am on the fence about using, so there is one readily available, but I think with the 15psi commanded we should be ok with the 17.4 wastegate setting.

AJP turbo

Yeah derf we will get it dialed in without a mbc but steal blue is super meticulous and is proficient with turbo components and reading datalogs and i think he was hell bent on running exactly what boost level he preferred with the spring pack he preferred and was comfortable fine tuning and tweaking and doing the trial and error with the mbc

He didnt mind so i didnt mind but normally id prefer to keep it simple for the end user and i want to avoid the extra mechanical device and you dont have a real good point of reference when you roll the knob on a mbc

When i can see and easily change desired tip(boost) in the tune to make a particular spring work and send you on your way

But yeah an mbc can get you in between springs if you are really wanting to run a specific boost level

But honestly steal blue is a sick individual who gets off on testing wastegate spring rates and most likely suffers multiple types of OCD lol
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

MiWiAu

And I thought I was being a pain in the ass. I feel better now. LOL

2013 XSport