• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Installed DiCunzolo gen2 torque mounts

Started by Agentlongwood, May 14, 2019, 10:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

I just installed these babies last night... and let me tell you... if you are running the factory exhaust, installing them is a right pain in the butt.  The front mount was cake.  Took maybe 3 minutes.  The problem is the rear bolt on the rear mount.  When you start backing the bolt out it contacts the flange in the middle of the factory downpipe.  The factory torque mounts have enough give that you can wiggle it out.  However the upgraded mounts have very little give, so you can't put the bolt back in.  It's Juuuuuust barely in the way enough to prevent the bolt from going in.  I tried pushing the exhaust out of the way but it didn't have enough give.  And it was the middle of the night, by myself so I had nobody to help try to rock the motor itself to move the stupid exhaust.  So I made it work, in a way that I'm not exactly proud of, lol.  I tried to insert the bolt and pushed as hard as I could.  The bolt was inserted like a half inch, and at a funny angle.  But I wedged it hard enough that the threads snagged the non-threaded edge of the mounting point.  The head of the bolt being held against the exhaust flange, I just turned it ever so carefully and the threads pulled it in till the head of the bolt worked its way along the side of the flange.  Once it popped past it, the bolt was free to wiggle the rest of the way through, and insert normally.  Lots of swearing... LOTS.  If you're running downpipes, it's probably a total non-issue, since that flange in the middle doesn't exist. 

As for the mounts themselves:  They work beautifully.  Everything is held in place, rock solid.  Launches felt REALLY good, and really consistent.  I wouldn't say it made the car launch better than the best launch it's ever had... but now every single time feels about equivalent to the best launch it's ever had, instead of being hit or miss.  Shifts felt much better.  I still get some shudder on the 1-2 shift after at full throttle after a hard launch, but it is reduced.  It feels like it takes a ton of "slop" out of the drivetrain.  I drove for about 20 miles and 5 or 6 launches.  At first the NVH was really bad, but it toned down a bit after a few miles.  The maker of the mounts says they tone down of first 1000 miles or so, I believe.  It's still noticeably worse, but getting more tolerable.  At part throttle, under certain conditions it makes something inside my dash buzz.  It feels like it makes the exhaust a little louder, but I think it's just engine noise being transmitted into the cabin.  I think it sounds pretty damn good.  It barely moves at all when you put it in park, which I love.  No more rolling forward after parking.  One of the coolest things is that if you're just bebopping around at part throttle and you just blip it, the whole car moves.  Instead of just seeing the tach blip up and back down without feeling any speed change.  Now even the tiny things like that you feel the whole car surge.  It's awesome. 
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

SM105K

"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Jordan

Literally tied with the gearhead upgraded intercooler in terms of my favorite mod for these cars! That bolt you mentioned it still a pain with upgraded dps but I was able to get a small ratchet in there and full force break the bolt loose.
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

ecoboostsho

Agreed that I really like the connection to the car now. I didn't have any issues with the bolt although I agree it was tight. I had an offset ratcheting wrench that fit perfectly.

As an install note you should be keeping that third "arm" that extends up on the rear mount. I emailed Tony directly and while his instructions didn't call it out you want it in there.  You will need to file or cut off the three little protrusions and then bolt it up to the new torque strut.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

Agentlongwood

Quote from: ecoboostsho on May 14, 2019, 04:29:54 PM
I didn't have any issues with the bolt although I agree it was tight. I had an offset ratcheting wrench that fit perfectly.

Hmm, that wasn't the issue I had.  I could get a wrench on the bolt no problem.  But as I backed it out, the bolt itself was contacting the exhaust.  Not the wrench or socket.  Made it a nightmare to get that bolt back in, since the flange in the exhaust was blocking the bolt from inserting into the mount.

I did leave that arm in place... but how big a deal would it be if I didn't file off those 3 little prongs... hypothetically...
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

ecoboostsho

Quote from: Agentlongwood on May 14, 2019, 05:16:40 PM
Quote from: ecoboostsho on May 14, 2019, 04:29:54 PM
I didn't have any issues with the bolt although I agree it was tight. I had an offset ratcheting wrench that fit perfectly.

Hmm, that wasn't the issue I had.  I could get a wrench on the bolt no problem.  But as I backed it out, the bolt itself was contacting the exhaust.  Not the wrench or socket.  Made it a nightmare to get that bolt back in, since the flange in the exhaust was blocking the bolt from inserting into the mount.

I did leave that arm in place... but how big a deal would it be if I didn't file off those 3 little prongs... hypothetically...
Oh I see what you mean. Your exhaust must be in a slightly different place because mine just cleared enough to back it all the way out.

I don't think it's a huge deal to leave the tabs on? You are just using that arm as a lever to prevent rotation so the tabs aren't taking any direct force. I'm sure the bolt is a much better grade of metal and it's just providing the force to keep the arm in place

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

FiveLeeter918

with Stainless Works offroad downpipes I was able to install mine during an oil change. Didn't have any clearance issues, but I feel for you guys that do, those downpipes are rigid af.
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

jus2quik

Stock exhaust,less than 10 minute install
Basic beginner mods :GH tune,3Bar MAP,colder plugs,Drop in filter,160 Tstat

avidmotion

Without going to facebook, is there contact info for these parts?
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

shoNoff

Quote from: avidmotion on November 08, 2019, 01:59:41 AM

I don't have Facebook. I just emailed him when I got mine. Tonyuep@aol.com. He seems like a great guy and I'd deal with him again for sure.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

fordfanstan

Quote from: avidmotion on November 08, 2019, 01:59:41 AM

I was hesitant, I don't like dealing with someone only available through FB or an old AOL email, but with so many positive reviews on this forum, I took the chance. Tony had them in stock and after a quick Paypal purchase I had them in less than a week. The parts look good. I have yet to install. I'm happy I took the chance though.

Leadfoot

I don't have a FB account but emailed tonyuep@aol.com today, sent the paypal friends and family payment and got a UPS tracking number for the delivery on Tuesday.
Straight forward and hassle free.
2018 Taurus SHO White, non pp (ACC) 20/35% tint, ceramic coating, hot pipes, PPE catted down pipes, GH Auto tune, 170 degree t-Stat. Anthony DiCunzolo gen 2 rear mount.