• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU Failure types

Started by lamrith, April 19, 2018, 06:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

PP & non-PP fluid capacity is the same.  The PTU fluid is indirectly cooled by the cooler/coolant, the fluid itself does not (under normal circumstances :) ) leave the PTU.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

802SHO

Interesting.  I've been fascinated recently with using co2 to cool the intercooler.  I wonder what else can be cooled.
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

6500rpm

Quote from: 802SHO on July 29, 2019, 04:52:04 PM
Interesting.  I've been fascinated recently with using co2 to cool the intercooler.  I wonder what else can be cooled.
My experience with CO2 comes from 10 years of playing for a promotional paintball team in the 90's/2000's. The problem is when you dump a lot of CO2 quickly it changes states from a liquid in the tank to a solid (dry ice). With the markers it lead to extreme pressure drops, loss of velocity which is why high pressure nitrogen systems came into play. I don't know if you could have a tank that was big enough to spray any length of time without causing this.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

802SHO

I just quickly read something else entirely about using No2 or Co2 to cool the intercooler.  Saying residual gases can get into the intake and Co2 leading to power loss that way or No2 causing an untuned for increase in power.....seems like there's always a snag with these type of things. 

Well I think the most cost effective direction to go would be to attack the downpipes with a thermal coating....and then top it off with an exhaust wrap....now I bet that would dramatically reduce the heat and naturally not transfer to the PTU.  Better than nothing

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/zyc-10004?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjw1f_pBRAEEiwApp0JKJ2hjk7HUe22BqSxfR1agAscarSiw6LUA5Pc0z0TKIKbY1vRBphgbhoCRKUQAvD_BwE
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.

SM105K

Quote from: 802SHO on July 30, 2019, 05:32:02 AM
I just quickly read something else entirely about using No2 or Co2 to cool the intercooler.  Saying residual gases can get into the intake and Co2 leading to power loss that way or No2 causing an untuned for increase in power.....seems like there's always a snag with these type of things. 

Well I think the most cost effective direction to go would be to attack the downpipes with a thermal coating....and then top it off with an exhaust wrap....now I bet that would dramatically reduce the heat and naturally not transfer to the PTU.  Better than nothing

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/zyc-10004?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjw1f_pBRAEEiwApp0JKJ2hjk7HUe22BqSxfR1agAscarSiw6LUA5Pc0z0TKIKbY1vRBphgbhoCRKUQAvD_BwE

If you want to cool the charge air, you need to use a small shot of nitrous with a dry shot fogger. If you have the fuel capabilities that will be your best bet.  It tanks the intake temp which increases air density, which in turns gives the ability to burn more fuel because of the chemical reaction and increased oxygen levels, and the result more POWA. I would run it directly post turbo.  There are numerous disagreements about this regarding pre and post turbo, but I have had success directly POST turbo.   

When I first put my blower on my 5.0 Fox Body Mustang, it did not have intercooler. To cool the charge air, we tapped a fogger post SC head with a .026 jet (very small) and the car picked up 58 rear wheel hp.   
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

802SHO

Quote from: SM105K on July 30, 2019, 10:27:45 AM

If you want to cool the charge air, you need to use a small shot of nitrous with a dry shot fogger. If you have the fuel capabilities that will be your best bet.  It tanks the intake temp which increases air density, which in turns gives the ability to burn more fuel because of the chemical reaction and increased oxygen levels, and the result more POWA. I would run it directly post turbo.  There are numerous disagreements about this regarding pre and post turbo, but I have had success directly POST turbo.   

When I first put my blower on my 5.0 Fox Body Mustang, it did not have intercooler. To cool the charge air, we tapped a fogger post SC head with a .026 jet (very small) and the car picked up 58 rear wheel hp.

I like this idea.  Tiny nozzle and a super cool charge....and by default make a little more powa....how "little" we shall see.

Blacked out Taurus approaches the staging lights at the Dragstrip....purges the No2 lines.....jaws drop

SM105K

Quote from: 802SHO on July 30, 2019, 12:47:15 PM
Quote from: SM105K on July 30, 2019, 10:27:45 AM

I like this idea.  Tiny nozzle and a super cool charge....and by default make a little more powa....how "little" we shall see.

Blacked out Taurus approaches the staging lights at the Dragstrip....purges the No2 lines.....jaws drop

The great thing about nitrous is the chemical cooling effect that is has.  If you have the fuel safe, it creates a cold atmosphere regardless of outside temp.  It is really worth its weight in gold in areas where it is stupid hot.....like where I live. 
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

802SHO

You also have a lot of experience with nitrous too.  Your knowledge is much appreciated and I think Nitrous gets a bad rap bc ppl don't do their homework and misuse it...then turn around and talk a bunch of crap about it.  Like with methonal.  It works extremely well and is relatively safe if it's set up properly and used accordingly.

SM105K

Quote from: 802SHO on July 30, 2019, 01:10:29 PM
You also have a lot of experience with nitrous too.  Your knowledge is much appreciated and I think Nitrous gets a bad rap bc ppl don't do their homework and misuse it...then turn around and talk a bunch of crap about it.  Like with methonal.  It works extremely well and is relatively safe if it's set up properly and used accordingly.

Nitrous is safe if used properly. I have had it on numerous applications and have never melted down a motor.  Worst was a melted ground strap and a blown head gasket, both my fault.  I had a 186 hp to the wheel motor, live for years on two kits both pilled at over 150 hp and 175 hp.  It was safe.

Before the naysayers come out of the wood work...

We are not using it as a direct power adder.  We are using it as a chemical intercooler/atmosphere conditioner.  Yes more fuel will need to be added, but for the cooling effects the fuel adage will be minimal.  If the car has a proper fuel system in place, there is little to worry about, and the performance gains esp on a FI set up are astounding.     

SHOdded

Neigh Neigh Neigh I Say Say Say ... :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shoNoff

The biggest problem with nitrous is the people using it. They watched Paul walker and think that's how it's supposed to work. I've used it on many small block fords. Never once hurt a motor because of it.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

802SHO

When I hear Nitrous all I think about is living one quarter mile at a time!  Ride or Die! 

SM105K

Quote from: 802SHO on July 30, 2019, 03:25:37 PM
When I hear Nitrous all I think about is living one quarter mile at a time!  Ride or Die!

In my race against time.....I can't stop....

shoNoff

2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile