• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

F150 Boost pressure feels limited

Started by Defhd10, March 01, 2020, 05:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Defhd10

What all controls boost?  I know you have the wastegates, wastegate actuators, wastegate solenoid, map sensors, blow off valve, obviously the pcm, what else?  I know fuel, temperature, and alot of other variables take affect, but being limited to the same amount of boost all the time in different conditions just seems so odd. Is there something so simple im overlooking?  Im more then likely going to pull my downpipe and look at the wastegate itself. I dont know what else to check.

Defhd10

So i pulled all my piping today to take a look at my turbos. I only checked the compressor side and not the turbine side. Everything looks good. No movement in the shaft and they both spin freely. The last two possibilities i can think of are eather the wastegate flap in one of the turbos is not seating and letting gasses by, or it is electrical. Whether its a sensor or the pcm itself something isnt allowing for the increase in pressure.

Defhd10

Things seem to be getting worse. Boost will surge with almost every shift, and from 1st to about 4th gear the boost is very choppy. Had an evening last week where i began to accelerate at the bottom of a hill and it felt like naturally aspirated engine. Boost was only at 2 lbs with probably 50% throttle input. I had to keep putting the pedal closer to the floor till it finally spooled to 7 lbs. Still no lights or codes.

SHOdded

Have you had it reflashed yet to revert to the old pre-fix OEM tune?

If you have a backup of the OEM tune from when you initially tuned the vehicle, you could try loading that in.  Confirm with your tuner first.  May even be able to get an OEM tune from your tuner if you have that strategy code.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Defhd10

Quote from: SHOdded on March 22, 2020, 04:34:43 AM
Have you had it reflashed yet to revert to the old pre-fix OEM tune?

If you have a backup of the OEM tune from when you initially tuned the vehicle, you could try loading that in.  Confirm with your tuner first.  May even be able to get an OEM tune from your tuner if you have that strategy code.
No i dont have a backup of the old strategy stock tune. I went to dealer number 2 and asked them if they could flash an as built file then put the updated one back in and they told me it wasnt possible. Once updated it cant be reversed. I said thats fine but can you force the same new file through and again they said no, once the latest file is in it wont accept it again.

SHOdded

Lip service, not surprising.  U can use Forscan for windows w extended license to flash the as built yourself, but and that should work.

Or ask your tuner to build you an oem file from when u originally bought the tune.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Defhd10

Okay i have a new question regarding this problem. About a week before this began, i had the condensation issue. My wagner intercooler was loaded with water and i got a misfire on cylinder 6. I unded up putting my stock intercooler back on for the time being. My question is could the condensation and misfire possibly caused this? Im trying to remember how the truck ran after taking care of the condensation. Im pretty sure it was still doing the surging between shifts back then as well. Also ive noticed my turbos dont sound right at all. My cousin even said they sould way louder which i agree with. But visually inspecting the compressor side of them they seem fine. Is it possible all that condensation over time could have created this problem? I have checked the stock intercooler for water since then and it is dry. Plugs were changed as well. Would a misfire cause enough damage to something to create this problem?

SHOdded

If it was LSPI, not misfire, it could definitely do some serious harm.  But all that water leads me immediately to some type of hydrolocking thought.  Maybe I am totally offbase on this.  IF the water caused decarboning, it could have damaged the turbo(s), cat(s), etc.

I would start with borescoping the cylinders if you think that is a concern.  I would think tho that SOME type of code would be thrown SOMEwhere in the system.  Usually when the PCM is at fault, that is when no codes show up.  Happened to gen 1 & 2 SHOs all the time.  Why I think you may be on the right track with tune issues.

Never thought about drilling the intercooler?  Seems to be a popular option with the F150 folks.  Or applying the TSB to it ...

TopherSho

Scanning back I do not see any datalogs .. im curious what the DSD boost is and actaul boost is combined with the wastegate %% and actual-throttle + Throttle position ...

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Defhd10

Quote from: SHOdded on March 23, 2020, 06:35:08 PM
If it was LSPI, not misfire, it could definitely do some serious harm.  But all that water leads me immediately to some type of hydrolocking thought.  Maybe I am totally offbase on this.  IF the water caused decarboning, it could have damaged the turbo(s), cat(s), etc.

I would start with borescoping the cylinders if you think that is a concern.  I would think tho that SOME type of code would be thrown SOMEwhere in the system.  Usually when the PCM is at fault, that is when no codes show up.  Happened to gen 1 & 2 SHOs all the time.  Why I think you may be on the right track with tune issues.

Never thought about drilling the intercooler?  Seems to be a popular option with the F150 folks.  Or applying the TSB to it ...
No codes at all. Atleast not yet like i said kinda seems like its been getting worse though. All this happened within like 2 weeks of one another so thats kinda why im not sure which it could be. I had the condensation issue first, fixed that and 4 days later had the recall reflash done. Truck felt sluggish but just thought it was from being back on the stock tune. 2 days after the recall i got the tune back on and thats where i noticed the boost issue. Flashed back to stock and noticed the issue persisted. So it very well could have started after the misfire and i just really didnt notice it.

Defhd10

Quote from: TopherSho on March 23, 2020, 07:40:49 PM
Scanning back I do not see any datalogs .. im curious what the DSD boost is and actaul boost is combined with the wastegate %% and actual-throttle + Throttle position ...
I have a few datalogs i could send if need be. Im not sure they have all of what youd be looking for, but the few people that did look at them are telling me the trucks making the power its calling for.

TopherSho

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

Defhd10

TopherSho

Defhd10

Quote from: TopherSho on March 24, 2020, 12:21:07 AM
Have you launched in 4wd ...
Negative. Ive never launched in 4wd. Or ever did a boosted launch at all.