• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2.0 control pack discontinued

Started by aprilfools, May 04, 2019, 11:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aprilfools

Knock on wood, I hope the reliability I've seen in the first 400 miles continues. Time will tell. I know haven't been easy on it, it's just to addicting to not let it spool!

I think the driveline on the other hand is another story. Again, time will tell.

I'll update as time goes on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Macgyver

aprilfools

Car total weight is around 1400-1500. With driver passenger and gear 1800ish. I plan to have the car weighed soon to get exact numbers as the next stage is suspension work so I need those numbers.

The horsepower on this I really have no idea due to the mixed parts. The 2.0 with the 2.0 control pack was advertised as 252. The 2.3 with the 2.3 control pack was advertised at 310. Not sure where my Frankenstein falls into this category. One of the issues I faced was my boost would fall off dramatically after 15psi then rebuild. I couldn't figure out why but you could watch the gauge and feel it. After some thought and listening while driving I came up with a theory on the wastegate. I put 2 turns on the wastegate spring and wahala, holds 18lbs of boost now consistently. 2.3 ecu boost output on a 2.0 wastegate was my only thought or theory for increasing the spring to hold more pressure as it seemed to "pop off" to soon.

So I really have no idea what the actual HP numbers are. I would like to eventually know but I'd say it would be more for my own curiosity than anything else. 

Macgyver

That has got to be a rocket and the turbo surge must be impressive for what it is.

SHOdded

Serious eyecandy that walks the talk.  Very cool!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

aprilfools

Thanks guys

That's one of the other surprising things in this package,  there is virtually no turbo lag and it builds boost insanely fast. Definitely a slight improvement over the ole air cooled VW that was previously in it!

BEEFKING69

Any updates on how this is holding out?

aprilfools

Quote from: BEEFKING69 on December 14, 2019, 11:54:24 PM
So far it has been excellent and have had no major issues. It is winter here now so its parked until spring. I have some projects planned for it this winter but it will be ready in the spring to run again.

I did fire it up 2 weeks ago, it hadn't ran in over a month and it was cold out. Hit the button and it rolled over about 4 times and set there idling. It was good to hear the turbo whistle,  cant wait until spring! I'll update more once spring hits and I get some more miles on it.

Happy new year!

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

GeorgiaFlattie

Quote from: aprilfools on December 30, 2019, 09:18:16 AM
So far it has been excellent and have had no major issues. It is winter here now so its parked until spring. I have some projects planned for it this winter but it will be ready in the spring to run again.

I did fire it up 2 weeks ago, it hadn't ran in over a month and it was cold out. Hit the button and it rolled over about 4 times and set there idling. It was good to hear the turbo whistle,  cant wait until spring! I'll update more once spring hits and I get some more miles on it.

Happy new year!

Still running well with no major issues from using the 2.3 control pack on a 2.0 engine? Did you make any other changes other than adjusting the spring on the wastegate?

I'm considering swapping a 2.0 or 2.3 into a Willys. The 2.0 has plenty of power for my needs and is about $1000 cheaper than the 2.3 around here so being able to save some cash is always nice.

aprilfools

Quote from: GeorgiaFlattie on October 29, 2020, 02:09:55 PM
Quote from: aprilfools on December 30, 2019, 09:18:16 AM

Happy new year!

Still running well with no major issues from using the 2.3 control pack on a 2.0 engine? Did you make any other changes other than adjusting the spring on the wastegate?

I'm considering swapping a 2.0 or 2.3 into a Willys. The 2.0 has plenty of power for my needs and is about $1000 cheaper than the 2.3 around here so being able to save some cash is always nice.
Still going strong and has proven to be very reliable. I put an hour meter on this the day it fired and as of now it has 72 hours of run time using all these parts. May not seem like a lot but she gets ran pretty hard at times and driven for recreation.

I have pulled the stock wastegate actuator and put on a turbosmart wastegate. HUGE improvements over stock. Noticable improvements coming on boost quicker and holding it. This package builds boost quickly and I see 20lbs of boost on intial hit and it settles at 18lbs and holds it through the gears. I have a boost gauge and a tablet running off the obd2 port and both match. I can only assume the 2.3 brain is letting me see these boost numbers as the 2.0 I  believe is at 17 stock.

The tablet is mounted in the car and I am using Torque Pro on it with a bluetooth adapter. Works great, I can monitor the entire engine on the fly. I had an intake sensor that was broken and I didnt know it. It through a code and in 10 minutes I was able to diagnose it and replaced, problem solved. That definitely is worth having for trouble shooting and monitoring. 

I have one thing I cannot figure out that I have had since day one and I have not been able to solve it and I have changed many things trying. It has not hurt runnability at all so I have learn to live with it as I have put on all these hours with it. I get a po88 code which is fuel rail pressure to high. The code indicator light is on but it starts, runs and drives perfectly. I can reset the code with torque fire it and it's off. Drive easy and it stays off. Roll into it building boost and it will come on, but again runs fine. I can watch the rail pressure and I can see it increase but not real sure where the limit is to trigger it. I am guessing again it has something to do with the programming for the 2.0 vs 2.3. I have changed all kinds of things in my return thinking it was there but nothing changed it. Its been awhile since I graphed it in torque to remember the numbers I get but I can do that next time I run it and report back what I see.

But overall I could not happier with this set up. I can Sunday cruise with this or let it eat and it puts a smile on your face. Very drivable to say the least. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again knowing what I know now. I was so lost when I started all this. Hopefully Ford hasn't figured this out and made some change that wont let a new pack fire one of these engines. You nailed it to, I see so many 2.0 engines for sale priced insanely cheap for this kind of swap and fun. I know where there is a complete engine for $550. Hard not to go get it for a spare! The are great engines in a nice small package.

Hope this helps.