• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Power per mod discussion

Started by EcoPowerParts, August 03, 2013, 11:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

Quote from: 68_GT on December 07, 2013, 12:44:32 AM
Quote from: 4DRHTRD on December 06, 2013, 11:43:03 PM
Quote from: QuickSilver on November 23, 2013, 12:38:35 PM
Great thread Mike, I  :salute: to your experience and insight on the Ecoboost platform, heck you're the guy that told me about this forum from that other forum(that just has SUV's ;) , thanks for that! When I look at the platform as a whole and consider what  mods to undertake, IMO the intercooler upgrade should be a much higher priority on your  list.  I built a few of these same IC's from J Yard Mitsu Eclipse cores because they are compact, thick, and have great flow  potential when adding two or more together. I built this one for another project but I'm gonna use it on Quicksilver after modding the outlet to opposite side and increasing to 3". By the looks of the stock unit, just the IC upgrade alone is gonna be worth good quality power.  Do you know of anyone who did just the IC alone with B2B testing? I'll do the seat of the pants test but that's pretty un-empirical and way subjective... 
You guys in the explorers have a "regular" intercooler, the other transverse motors do not and it would be a HUGE undertaking to upgrade the stocker.

why is that? nothing but the size of the stocker will fit in the location, or becasue there is not one made as a direct replacement upgrade ? That would be nice to swap in a new intercooler for a meth like power increase.

Bigmac the killer chillers on the SVTPerformance seemed to be a decent upgrade is there something like that for our cars ? those a/c to intercooler kits are cooling off a heat exchanger / water / coolant intercooler system so it's not like ours though.

thanks

68... I could have sworn Killer Chiller made one for the SHO.. sure I saw it somewhere... maybe it was one of those other systems.  I just think about lost performance when it's likely 160o+ air going in to my "cold" air intake all summer here.

DJ... good point, nothing that moves is free as far as energy... where does it balance?  Maybe someone here has one and can answer the question. AC off, sure!  Would it help to cool them before the hole-shot or in a road race... not sure.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

68_GT

on the Mustang Cobras they run new a/c lines fromthe compresor to a box the intercooler water / coolant flows through to cool the liquid from the cold a/c lines that's it. A/c compressor should still work the same at shut off at wide open throttle anyway. You're just benefitting from something your car is already doing. I'd like to see the kit for the SHO if you come across it.

I couldn't find anything on a ecoboost vehicle for killer chiller but there's lots of info on those kits on a heat exchanger system here...http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/969055-killer-chiller-gen-3-drag-kit-install-complete-pics.html
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

BiGMaC

So they must be using the return ac coolant after the expansion valve in the cabin?  Wonder if the intermittent cycling makes much difference?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

68_GT

beats me I just don't see how this could do anyting for our intercooler systems since we are air to air. I think it would have to be completely reworked with parts that don't exist.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

SHOdded

Hopefully QuickSilver's IC redesign idea will bear fruit.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Frozen Taurus

I gotta second the idea on an IC upgrade, most IC cores are rated for only so many CFM and you guys running higher boost levels and upgraded turbo's are flowing quite a bit more air. When you over run the CFM rating for an IC core you get a PSI drop from the inlet side vs the outlet ...what if an IC upgrade netted you more PSI entering the motor?
2011 Tuxedo Black SHO non PP, K&N drop in, TCE Big Brake Kit, Megan Racing Coilovers
My other car is a 447 awhp Talon

EcoPowerParts

Killer chiller won't work it's for water to air ic, we have air to air. The sho/flex intercooler is in a bad spot, wedged between the radiator and the condenser and its very thin. I've looked at it with Geoff from full race and we decided it would be next to impossible to upgrade. The only feasible option I could think of was to replace factory ic with a heat exchanger for a water to air ic. The actual intercooler would go where the stock air box is. The price would be at least $1500 but I would bet be worth 40 hp on upgraded turbos due to better efficiency and less pressure drop.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

68_GT

the F150 ecoboost has a lerger intercooler right ? I guess there's no way to fit it in and plumb it up ?

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: 68_GT on December 10, 2013, 11:41:01 AM
the F150 ecoboost has a lerger intercooler right ? I guess there's no way to fit it in and plumb it up ?
No way possible, there's no room, it's 1" thick...
www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

DJE624

Review on 2010-2012 SHO Down Pipes from LMS website.

"Second best bang for the buck powerwise. I picked up around 12hp to the wheels. Sound is great as well. Beautifully done downpipes!"

I was hoping it would have been more like 20-25 WHP.

EcoPowerParts

I picked up 20HP on my PPE catted pipes, should be about the same.
www.ecopowerparts.com -

bpd1151

Since I was literally THE 1st to run completely catless, I wish now in hindsight, I would've had her dyno'd before/after install.....

As it stands now, I have no clue what I picked up. I don't think it really mattered much until I went and had my tune file revised anyhow. In order to truly benefit from this mod that is.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: bpd1151 on December 10, 2013, 02:25:23 PM
Since I was literally THE 1st to run completely catless, I wish now in hindsight, I would've had her dyno'd before/after install.....

As it stands now, I have no clue what I picked up. I don't think it really mattered much until I went and had my tune file revised anyhow. In order to truly benefit from this mod that is.
I definitely picked up HP with no change in tune, it's due to the less restriction on the turbos. I was able to run .2 faster and 2mph faster in back to back testing at the track with the only change of uncorking my cutout. My open cutout and downpipes made the exact same power on the dyno.
www.ecopowerparts.com -

wasinger3000

Ill try to keep this short. Im new here. Not new to ford or ecoboost. Just new to the SHO. I traded my 13' stang in for a 13' SHO and now im looking for some more power... Kinda miss my 0-60 in 3.9...

So my question is this, Ive read around here for a few days and noticed that the LMS tune may have a few bugs to work out. Im not sure if the Unleashed tune is the same way. Is it a good idea to wait for a revised tune to come out? Or is it safe to just get a tune now and go with it. Id rather not have issues on a new car.

Also do these cars gain anything from a K&N drop in? Seeing how the aftermarket intakes aren't anything more than a hot air intake.

Thanks in advance!
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

DJE624

Intake question first.  Since I've been hot on it.  I really don't think you will see any noticeable gains on any intake or filter.  The drop in will let it breath easier and K&N claims 1-4 HP.  You won't notice that.  The K&N Typhoon and AirRaid claim about 12-14 HP.  You might feel that BUT allowing hot engine air in will negate that.  The AirRaid is sealed better but won't give you the "noise" like the Typhoon will. 

As far as the tune goes, there have been some reports of stuttering and maybe starving the engine at high rpms.  LMS is continuing to work on that.  ivofe just got a newer tune from LMS and is going to be testing it.  We'll see what he says.  I don't know what version he got.  V7 was the last I heard of.  That one seemed to help relieve the problems.

If you decide to go with an Unleashed tune and want to get the maximum out of it you will have to data log so Torrie can tweak it for you. Some of the guys have done this and have had fine results.  I am to lazy to data log so I just go with the LMS canned/custom tunes.