• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Information on Ecoboost engines

Started by SHOdded, July 21, 2014, 05:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Super Six Motorsports - Cyclone 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.5 Duratech and 3.7L Ti-VCT V6 Engine Tech

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/_pdf/cyclone-tech-v2.pdf

Feel free to add similarly descriptive articles about our EB engines in this thread.  TIA!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

EcoPowerParts

I was looking at the heads picture and those must be 3.7 as there's no provision for the DI pump (square lobe) seen in this picture
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

wasinger3000

Love that view. Those are some beefy head gaskets.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

shoman04

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on July 21, 2014, 05:14:04 PM
I was looking at the heads picture and those must be 3.7 as there's no provision for the DI pump (square lobe) seen in this picture

Ha 4dr base on this?

"EcoBoost engine has already been
proven to provide exceptional durability in the 365-400
HP range with Ford's factory tuning expertise, we can
expect adequate durability at power levels around 500
HP or so with upper rev limits at 6500-7000"

Is 6000max rpm just a reb-limit That Ford put on our stock engine or the after market have to up grade the engine to get 6500-7000 out of it?
2011 KONA BLU SHO,Livernois Tune,AIRAID CAI,DYNOMAX MUFFLEs,Newest member of the 12sec CLUB 12.669sec @ 107mph    2011 Ford Taurus SHO: 12.669 @ 105.050 MPH NEW FOR 2013LMS down-pipe,Magnaflow X-pipe,and Custom 2.5"exhaust pipe!! Meth and stage 5 next to be install!!!!!! METH DYNO TUNE today 405AWHP!!!WOW LMS track day 12.4209sec   :mike1:

SHOdded

F150 3.5L Ecoboost Engine Specs (courtesy of F150hub.com):

3.5L EcoBoost V-6
Ford EcoBoost Specs
Ford EcoBoost Engine

Ford introduced the 3.5L EcoBoost V-6 to the F-150 pickup line for the 2011 model year. The engine uses twin, parallel mounted turbochargers, which more than compensate for the engine's relatively small displacement. At 213 cid, the EcoBoost outperforms the standard 5.0L V-8 in both horsepower and torque, while providing a significant increase in fuel economy. The engine is rated at a maximum 365 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque, and maintains 90% of peak torque from 1,700 rpm to 5,000 rpm. Four wheel drive models can achieve up to 21 mpg on the highway, while two wheel drive pickups are rated at a slightly higher 22 mpg. Direct injection, similar to that used in diesel engines, allows for a 10:1 compression ratio and the use of regular, low octane gasoline without the risk of detonation.

The engine's performance characteristics prove that forced induction can be a replacement for displacement - power when you need it, and fuel economy when you don't. While there was some skepticism when the engine debuted, its popularity can be deemed a success for Ford, who has employed extensive resources in the development of the EcoBoost engine family platform. You wouldn't expect the EcoBoost to be the backbone of the F-150 engine lineup, but that's exactly what it is; the EcoBoost carries the F-150's highest tow ratings, and is the engine Ford highly recommends for the tougest tasks. There have been little problems with the EcoBoost, save for some incidents in which condensation build up in the intercooler has caused driveability concerns (stalling, bucking, loss of power). These cases are believe to be isolated incidents, and are generally not of concern to owners. With the EcoBoost, Ford has proven that you can indeed get more from less. The sucess of the 3.5L EcoBoost has led Ford to develop a smaller 2.7L version for the 2015 F-150, which aims to increase fuel economy without making significant sacrifices in performance.

3.5L EcoBoost Specs

Engine:                     3.5L EcoBoost
Configuration:              60° V-6
Displacement:               3.5 liters, 213 cubic inches
Block Material:             Aluminum
Cylinder Heads:             Aluminum
Bore:                       3.64 inches
Stroke:                     3.41 inches
Compression Ratio:          10.0 : 1
Aspiration:                 Twin parallel mounted turbochargers,
                            max. 12 psi boost (Borg Warner K03
                            for truck version, Garrett GT15 for
                            other applications).
Valvetrain:                 Dual overhead cam (DOHC), Direct
                            Acting Mechanical Buckets (DAMB).
Fuel System:                High pressure direct injection. Fuel
                            pressures ranging from 200 - 2150 psi.
Horsepower:                 365 hp @ 5,000 rpm
Torque:                     420 lb-ft @ 2,500 rpm

• Despite being a high compression, forced induction engine, the direct injection fuel system allows the EcoBoost to run on 87 octane, regular unleaded gasoline.
• The EcoBoost maintains 90% peak torque between 1,700 - 5,000 rpm (90% of 420 lb-ft is 378 lb-ft). Such flat torque curves are extremely uncommon of a production gas engine.
• Properly equipped, an EcoBoost powered F150 can tow up to 11,300 lbs, the maximum tow rating for any 2011 - 2014 model F-150. In fact, Ford is actually recommending the EcoBoost for those who require the ability to tow frequently as it is more efficient than the available V-8 engines.
• Direct injection systems spray pressurized fuel directly into the combustion chamber rather than into the intake ports (the traditional injection method). A more precise delivery of fuel is accomplished by injecting directly into the combustion chamber, eliminating the chances of detonation (knocking) and increasing efficiency, performance, fuel economy, & lowering emissions.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

F150 2.7L Ecoboost Engine Specs (courtesy of F150hub.com):

2.7L EcoBoost
2015 2.7L EcoBoost F-150 Specs
2.7L EcoBoost V-6

The sucess of Ford's 3.5L EcoBoost undoubtedly played a key role in the development of the smaller, 2.7L EcoBoost. While part of the V-6 EcoBoost engine family, the 2.7L shares very little its larger sibling. Like the 2015 F-150 itself, the 2.7L EcoBoost pushes the envelope of innovation, once againing proving that forced induction can adequately offset the inherently lower performance characteristics of a small displacement engine. A CGI engine block, composite intake manifold, and aluminum cylinder heads build upon the aluminum bodied weight savings without compromising structural integrity. Water cooled exhaust manifolds protect the the turbochargers when all 325 ponies are released, while variable intake and exhaust valve timing ensure efficient combustion events. With the 375 lb-ft of torque, a properly equipped F-150 with the 2.7L EcoBoost will be rated to tow up to 8,500 lbs and safely haul more than 2,000 lbs of payload in the bed. Obviously less capable than the 365 hp 3.5L EcoBoost, the 2.7L holds its own considering it measures a mere 164 cubic inches of displacement. The 2.7L EcoBoost will not be the obvious choice for the truck buyer who needs maximum tow ratings, but it will provide a more efficient option for individuals who need the ability to lug mild loads around, but desire a more efficient engine for everyday use. Ford has yet to release fuel economy ratings for the new mill, but the new and improved, light weight F-150 is expected to impress us all. Additionally, the engine comes with a start-stop function; when the truck is brought to a stop, the engine is turned off. When the brake pedal is released, the engine rapidly restarts; the function is disabled when towing or using four wheel drive. 

2.7L EcoBoost Specs

Engine:                    2.7L EcoBoost
Displacement:              2.7 liters, 164 cid
Configuration:             60 ° V-6
Block Material:            Compact graphite iron (CGI)
Cylinder Heads:            Aluminum
Bore:                      3.27 inches
Stroke:                    3.27 inches
Compression Ratio:         10.0 : 1
Aspiration:                Twin parallel mounted turbochargers, intercooled
Valvetrain:                Dual overhead cam (DOHC), roller finger followers,
                           variable exhaust and intake camshaft timing.
Fuel System:               High pressure direct injection.
Horsepower:                325 hp @ 5,750 rpm
Torque:                    375 lb-ft @ 3,000 rpm

2.7L EcoBoost Details & Features:

• Fractured main bearing caps, individual piston cooling jets, offset I beam connecting rods.
• Top mounted, easy service cartridge style oil filter.
• Aluminum cylinder heads with integrated, water cooled exhaust manifolds.
• Composite intake manifold, variable intake and exhaust camshaft timing.
• CGI engine block is cast from the same material as Ford's 6.7L Power Stroke turbodiesel.
• Operates on regular 87 octane gasoline.
• Direct injection eliminates the risk of detonation (ping/knocking) under extreme load and pressure.
• Start stop system turns the engine off when brought to a stop and rapidly restarts the engine as necessary.
• Production takes place at Ford's Lima Engine Plant in Lima, Ohio.

SHOdded

2015 Ford F150 Tech Specs (courtesy of Ford)

E85 builtin for non-EB engines only :(

BiGMaC

Does Ford actually recommend regular gas (89 octane) for these engines in the F150.... Including the 3.5 EB?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

They are all DESIGNED to run on 87 octane, not sure on actual RECOMMENDED octane.

EDIT:   the OM for 2015 F150 recommends 87 octane for the eb engines.

brian.t.flynn.9

It states maximum performance on 93 premium unleaded. I noticed a huge MPG drop off with 87 regular. I typically run Sunoco 91 in my EB Flex.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

AJP turbo

Quote from: brian.t.flynn.9 on September 26, 2015, 03:53:48 PM
. I noticed a huge MPG drop off with 87 regular.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Thats not likely...your percieved mpg dropoff was most likely due to inconsistent testing..the max performance from using high octane fuel is from more aggressive spark curves allowed by the knock sensor tuning that exists within the factory tune
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

midnightSun

Quote from: shoman04 on July 21, 2014, 10:02:11 PM
Is 6000max rpm just a reb-limit That Ford put on our stock engine or the after market have to up grade the engine to get 6500-7000 out of it?

It might be the stock valve springs float at higher rpm? I see http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/_pdf/SSM2013Cyclonecatrev1Cams.pdf has heaver springs offered. The HPFP is driven off RPM so the faster the engine turns the more fuel it should deliver in a linear fashion. I don't have any clue how fast the internals can spin before something fails, but I'd bet 9k or higher. 
From my reading our little turbos have a hard time making boost up top so those would need to be replaced as well. 

Hope someone has more real world data to supply then my guessing.
"I'm 30 min away, i'll be there in 10"
2016 Explorer Sport 3bar 93 tune.
Continental ZRY summer tires.
I pull a 30' race trailer with this little SUV at times.
2x Regional Champ!

WillB

Quote from: SHOdded on September 26, 2015, 05:17:25 AM
F150 2.7L Ecoboost Engine Specs (courtesy of F150hub.com):

2.7L EcoBoost
2015 2.7L EcoBoost F-150 Specs
2.7L EcoBoost V-6

The sucess of Ford's 3.5L EcoBoost undoubtedly played a key role in the development of the smaller, 2.7L EcoBoost. While part of the V-6 EcoBoost engine family, the 2.7L shares very little its larger sibling. Like the 2015 F-150 itself, the 2.7L EcoBoost pushes the envelope of innovation, once againing proving that forced induction can adequately offset the inherently lower performance characteristics of a small displacement engine. A CGI engine block, composite intake manifold, and aluminum cylinder heads build upon the aluminum bodied weight savings without compromising structural integrity. Water cooled exhaust manifolds protect the the turbochargers when all 325 ponies are released, while variable intake and exhaust valve timing ensure efficient combustion events. With the 375 lb-ft of torque, a properly equipped F-150 with the 2.7L EcoBoost will be rated to tow up to 8,500 lbs and safely haul more than 2,000 lbs of payload in the bed. Obviously less capable than the 365 hp 3.5L EcoBoost, the 2.7L holds its own considering it measures a mere 164 cubic inches of displacement. The 2.7L EcoBoost will not be the obvious choice for the truck buyer who needs maximum tow ratings, but it will provide a more efficient option for individuals who need the ability to lug mild loads around, but desire a more efficient engine for everyday use. Ford has yet to release fuel economy ratings for the new mill, but the new and improved, light weight F-150 is expected to impress us all. Additionally, the engine comes with a start-stop function; when the truck is brought to a stop, the engine is turned off. When the brake pedal is released, the engine rapidly restarts; the function is disabled when towing or using four wheel drive. 

2.7L EcoBoost Specs

Engine:                    2.7L EcoBoost
Displacement:              2.7 liters, 164 cid
Configuration:             60 ° V-6
Block Material:            Compact graphite iron (CGI)
Cylinder Heads:            Aluminum
Bore:                      3.27 inches
Stroke:                    3.27 inches
Compression Ratio:         10.0 : 1
Aspiration:                Twin parallel mounted turbochargers, intercooled
Valvetrain:                Dual overhead cam (DOHC), roller finger followers,
                           variable exhaust and intake camshaft timing.
Fuel System:               High pressure direct injection.
Horsepower:                325 hp @ 5,750 rpm
Torque:                    375 lb-ft @ 3,000 rpm

2.7L EcoBoost Details & Features:

• Fractured main bearing caps, individual piston cooling jets, offset I beam connecting rods.
• Top mounted, easy service cartridge style oil filter.
• Aluminum cylinder heads with integrated, water cooled exhaust manifolds.
• Composite intake manifold, variable intake and exhaust camshaft timing.
• CGI engine block is cast from the same material as Ford's 6.7L Power Stroke turbodiesel.
• Operates on regular 87 octane gasoline.
• Direct injection eliminates the risk of detonation (ping/knocking) under extreme load and pressure.
• Start stop system turns the engine off when brought to a stop and rapidly restarts the engine as necessary.
• Production takes place at Ford's Lima Engine Plant in Lima, Ohio.

This is the engine that I want in my next truck.
Willb

Current truck: 2011 GMC 1500 CC 4x4 4.8L  - My last GM

Next truck: F150 SCrew 4x4 2.7EB.

SHOdded

They have introduced the 2nd generation 3.5 EB now, it has both DI and PFI setups.  So it should be a massively impressive performer.