• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Cylinder layout

Started by Black Dream, May 02, 2020, 10:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Dream

I was having a discussion on Facebook about how the cylinders were labeled and what was bank 1 and bank 2 in our '10 MKS Eco. The majority opinion was the back 3 were 1, 2 and 3 from passenger side and the front were 4, 5 and 6.  I've replaced 2 coil packs and used the 1,3,5 back and 2,4,6 front layout to successfully make the repairs. There's limited info online to confirm but I found this diagram which supports my belief it's correct. What say ye EcoBoost gurus?

Also which is bank 1 and bank 2?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

2010 MKS Eco, Airaid, SCT X4, Unleashed, SP542 plugs, 3 bar MAP and current daily.

2006 Pontiac GTO M6, 1 of 101 exactly like her, bone stock, lost to flood 5/19, gone but not forgotten....

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Black Dream on May 02, 2020, 10:33:22 AM
I was having a discussion on Facebook about how the cylinders were labeled and what was bank 1 and bank 2 in our '10 MKS Eco. The majority opinion was the back 3 were 1, 2 and 3 from passenger side and the front were 4, 5 and 6.  I've replaced 2 coil packs and used the 1,3,5 back and 2,4,6 front layout to successfully make the repairs. There's limited info online to confirm but I found this diagram which supports my belief it's correct. What say ye EcoBoost gurus?

Also which is bank 1 and bank 2?

Firing order or cylinder number? That diagram is the firing order.

Cylinder numbering would 123 left to right on the bank 1 and 456 left to right on bank 2 if you are looking at the motor from the front of the car.

Bank 1 is the bank with cylinder 1 closest to the fire wall.

Black Dream

Cylinder order was my main question but your answer is intriguing. I've had 2 cylinder misfire codes in the last 7 months a couple of months apart, one P0305 and 0302 with the car running rough. I replaced the coil pack in the back right which is cylinder #3 thinking it was #5 in the first repair and it fixed the 0305 issue. Then I replaced the front left cp assuming it was cylinder 2 and it fixed the 0302 issue.  Am I missing something here?

2010 MKS Eco, Airaid, SCT X4, Unleashed, SP542 plugs, 3 bar MAP and current daily.

2006 Pontiac GTO M6, 1 of 101 exactly like her, bone stock, lost to flood 5/19, gone but not forgotten....

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Black Dream on May 02, 2020, 11:19:27 AM
Cylinder order was my main question but your answer is intriguing. I've had 2 cylinder misfire codes in the last 7 months a couple of months apart, one P0305 and 0302 with the car running rough. I replaced the coil pack in the back right which is cylinder #3 thinking it was #5 in the first repair and it fixed the 0305 issue. Then I replaced the front left cp assuming it was cylinder 2 and it fixed the 0302 issue.  Am I missing something here?

Right from the ford troubleshooting manual(one of them anyway!!!)

"Ford F150 P0305 Definition

P0305 is a cylinder specific misfire code, which means that Cylinder 5 is misfiring and causing it. An important thing to understand when finding the location of Cylinder 5 is that it's going to be the fifth cylinder in the firing order. It won't be the fifth cylinder that you might see when looking at the engine."

SHOdded

Coils were clean and dry?  An oil leak was the first possibility that came to mind.  Also the codes are likely to return after some time.  How long has it been since you changed the coils?

On an offtopic note, how old is the battery in your MKS?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Black Dream

StealBlue nailed it. I had no idea the codes followed the firing order, not the cylinder numbering.

And even at 109k miles my motor's super clean. No leaks anywhere and the battery is only 6 months old, a Duracell. Thanks for the help fellas.

SHOdded

Fingers crossed problem solved :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Black Dream

I haven't had an issue with either since.

SHOdded

351Blueblood

Code reader  states which cly in block is misfiring. Not the the firing order.

Black Dream

Very curious to see more responses from the masses.

SHOdded

ridered74

Quote from: Black Dream on May 11, 2020, 12:01:19 PM
Very curious to see more responses from the masses.

Last summer when my injector hung open it called out cylinder 2 as the misfire. The firewall middle cylinder is the one that was soaked with gas.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET