• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New SHO owner with problems

Started by My15SHO, June 29, 2020, 12:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My15SHO

I picked up a CPO 2015 SHO beginning of May, it had 52k miles. It had about 1 sec rattle on startup. When i researched the car i read alot about the rattle and about how noisy these engines are in general. After driving it for a month it set a P0020 code and dropped it off at the dealer. Just got a call they are gonna do a tear down of the engine to check timing chain. Phasers, etc. Wasnt expecting to utilize the CPO warranty so soon but hopefully if it's a fairly common issue it'll be addressed and fixed.

FiveLeeter918

hmm P0020 is typically a wiring issue on the camshaft actuator. but maybe they saw something concerning... good luck and hopefully this doesn't sour your taste for the platform...
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

My15SHO

I created the appt due to the light and code showing, but when i dropped it off and did the walk around with the service tech i hammered the fact that it had the rattle on startup, he then on his own brought up phazers and timing chain issues. I am glad though that the wiring possibly set the code which allowed me to document the rattle.

SM105K

Hopefully Ford fixes it properly.  I would suggest running a quality synthetic oil in 5w30 for the duration of your ownership. I perfer Castrol Edge in the gold bottles. Also depending on your driving style I would change it every 3k miles if you do alot of stop and go driving or hard driving, or every 5k miles if you are mixed driving (freeway and city) or it your drive it normal.  I would not follow the oil change life indicator.

You can get 6 quarts of Castrol Edge and a Motorcraft oil filter at Walmart for $42 bucks.  $42 dollars for cheap insurance is a no brainer to me.   
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

StealBlueSho

P0020 can be wiring or it can a symptom of a stretched chain, phasers, etc..

Good news is its covered under the CPO warranty! Let us know how it goes!

My15SHO

The service guy did warn me that Ford parts are on back order, he's had someone in a loaner for two months waiting for parts from Ford, phasers in particular. Service history records show the car had regular oil changes at two different dealerships, i assume they use whatever Ford calls for. I did buy some new plugs to swap out, figure 52k miles has been a good run on the originals.

FiveLeeter918

Quote from: My15SHO on June 29, 2020, 05:09:26 PM
The service guy did warn me that Ford parts are on back order, he's had someone in a loaner for two months waiting for parts from Ford, phasers in particular. Service history records show the car had regular oil changes at two different dealerships, i assume they use whatever Ford calls for. I did buy some new plugs to swap out, figure 52k miles has been a good run on the originals.

Yep, they literally have 2 international warehouses with unique components that are shut down due to COVID with no one allowed in the building...
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

My15SHO

Dealer called again today, told me they were continuing with another 8 hours of labor, but i keep getting warned that if they find something that isnt covered by the CPO that i would be on the hook for the labor costs. I told the guy today that I looked over the CPO coverage and I don't see how there's anything that wouldn't be covered. Phasers are covered under the original emissions through 60k, everything else lubricated is covered by the CPO, even something like a solenoid would be CPO. I mean honestly aside from dropping the oil pan and finding a marble or something stupid like that and blaming it on that I don't see what they can come up with

My15SHO

Quote from: FiveLeeter918 on June 29, 2020, 01:18:07 PM
hmm P0020 is typically a wiring issue on the camshaft actuator. but maybe they saw something concerning... good luck and hopefully this doesn't sour your taste for the platform...
I guess im reserving judgement on that. I got to drive a car for 2000 miles and now it sits being dismantled piece by piece without any clue to an outcome. The guilt trip has been pretty lame though. They certify a car which is basically them vouching for the mechanical integrity of the car, then six weeks later that same car magically might have something that the CPO doesnt cover.

802SHO

Good luck but I don't like the sound of them being so quick to jump on it....perhaps they already knew about the problem...and making it known in advance if they find something not covered you're hit.....just not a good scenario but hopefully that's just me being pessimistic. 

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

My15SHO

Quote from: 802SHO on July 05, 2020, 07:25:06 PM
Good luck but I don't like the sound of them being so quick to jump on it....perhaps they already knew about the problem...and making it known in advance if they find something not covered you're hit.....just not a good scenario but hopefully that's just me being pessimistic. 

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Its gone from puzzling to annoying. Still no word on what is wrong or needs fixed. The check engine light comes on, i take it....two weeks later and nothing? There cant possibly be anything that isnt covered by the CPO

My15SHO

Four weeks later now and im told a new long block was approved and being installed. Apparently the list of repairs grew to a point where a replacement was an easier/cheaper solution.

SM105K

Quote from: My15SHO on July 15, 2020, 02:34:37 PM
Four weeks later now and im told a new long block was approved and being installed. Apparently the list of repairs grew to a point where a replacement was an easier/cheaper solution.

That is good news.  New powerplants are fun.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

My15SHO

It will be fun.....eventually. Last thing i'll want to do after not having my car for a month is baby a new engine. Barely got to enjoy it as it was. Spent more time and miles in a loaner than the SHO.

TopherSho

When I received my new block that was already 'run in' I still found lots of shiny bits in my oil at 125 miles.  I would strongly recommend changing the oil at 25 miles (wish i had done mine sooner) and filtering it through paper towels or white shop rages to inspect the amount and size of shaving that will come off.

then again at 75 miles (75 total engine miles) ..

Mine had shinny bits for 2 oil changes.  The third oil change i had was nominal ..

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction