• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

802SHO 2010 Build

Started by 802SHO, April 30, 2019, 12:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Where did you mount the AC condenser? Iirc it's bolted to the front the stock IC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

802SHO

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on June 04, 2020, 07:17:13 PM
Where did you mount the AC condenser? Iirc it's bolted to the front the stock IC?

The AC condenser is in the way of the IC, so with the GH IC out, you can push the AC condensor into the opening of the core support....which it doesn't really fit...so it gets wedged in there.  Will take some force to pill it back out...and I added a couple stainless steel zip ties to keep it from adjusting its position.  The radiator is fine, that sits into the bottom of the core support and bolts to the top of the core support with clips/bolts.  So the cooling stack...as far as the radiator is concerned...is same place...last.  And the AC condensor gets less airflow rather than the IC.  I still have my PP trans cooler.  So trans temps are nice and cool still.

Also above...Mighty Car Mods put out that intersting video...well the youtube channel Engineering Explained said the problem with that finding is the IC works off convection not radiation...so the reading with airflow matters most and in that case the shiny aluminum IC is more efficient than it painted black.  So not painting it black.  Bought a nitrous IC chiller bar.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

802SHO

On Friday 8/7/20 My son and I drove to New England Dragway to do a full send with the car. I didn't realize that or check to see what if any events were being held other than the fact that is was Street Night. The night before I changed the oil with Royal Purple HPS and motorcraft filter, added some Redline water wetter to my new radiator fluid, packed tools in case I blew a cloupler on the IC, everything I would need to jack the car up, take a wheel off, really any oh s*** moments I tried to bring something I could use to get myself back up and running. Brought my computer to view data logs, a few gallons of 110, my empty 5 gal pale of M1 to refill at the track, tire pressure gauge with air release to quickly drop tire pressure, 4K camcorder and Dragy. I ran the car empty and filled back up with 110.

It was packed, there was a huge line of cars well before you get close to pay to get in....then I checked...oh 603 Diesel Night....great! Track tech took forever....didn't get much time for a cool down from my 3 hour drive. Put 3 bags of ice on it and walked to the fuel shack to fill up my M1 pale that was literally empty and I needed to add some to my car before making my first pass. So much cheaper there. At home I pay 79.99 for 5 gal of M1, at the track I paid $30 to fill it so no brainer right there. Dropped my tire pressure to 28 in the front and headed to get in line. My son and my cousin who lives 30 min from the track took my camcorder to film me. I waited maybe 20 min in line to take my first pass....not bad. But I anticipated longer so I was trying to get my computer situated....and this was a full dick pass, no other seats but my Kirky Driver seat, all door panels off except the driver side and door speakers in the back doors removed. Definitely the lightest my car has even been, although I didn't bother weighing it I was unsure of being able to go. So first pass I was unable to get the log because I turned my car off and when I needed to go I couldn't reach the buttons on the computer sitting on the passenger floor as the device had lost its connection from turning the car off. Then I shallow staged on accident, thought to put it in reverse but he dropped the tree so I started late. Ran an 11.75 on Dragy which actually was 1.5 tenths too fast...that was the most Dragy has ever been off for me...it was actually an 11.90 run and of course I wasn't too happy with that time. I should be able to get into the 1.6 60 ft with my Drag tires as my best with street tires is a 1.72...but no I went 2.0 for a 60ft....like wtf? I had a 15 shot pre IC and 35 shot pre TB...the car felt like it stopped pulling right at the end of that run...which I've felt before with nitrous...never felt that ever when I'm not using nitrous....so I got mad bc I ran 11.89 last year full interior and no nitrous .....so I hot lap it and go back....I also was funneled into the left lane...at this track I've never got a good time in the left lane ever....my buddy who goes there all the time told me a couple years ago...you want the right lane, they use it for private rentals and it always has better prep. So right there I wasn't happy about having to be in the left lane. So second time around I purposely went in the right lane....well aren't they only running left now....and I literally let my car idle for 15 min...IAT2 wouldn't get above 147 but I figured that was trash too. And this isn't the first time I got pissed off and went back and ran faster....not sure how that works haha

I hit a better 60 ft a 1.79 ...I didn't touch nitrous until 3rd gear and this time it didn't stop pulling and ran 11.67. Again not happy about that....considering I ran 11.69 with a 1.86 60 ft last year in August also with full interior on street tires with a 35 shot....so what is going on?

I logged last years 11.69 so I looked at the logs back and forth back and forth so this is what happened or at least is a big part of whah happened. Last year I used a tune with 19 psi with spark capped to 18-20 and shifting at 6200 rpm. This year I'm using 20 psi with 15-16 spark and shifting at 5700. And why? Well again I'm worried about the stock motor and I want to try to use some caution.....but clearly I was faster last year and losing 5 degrees of spark and shifting early even with 1 more psi of boost didn't help. I'm happy to be able to drive home and go back and try again but it's frustrating. I want to play it safe but at the same time I want the 4 grand I spent to make a difference .....and there's always the version of being frustrated with a running car vs being frustrated with a broken car....so there's that. I'd be willing to bet if I ran last years tune and let the porting I had done and better fuel pressure the pumps and drag tires and a littler lighter make up the difference. So this is what you get to deal with when you got a stock motor....Always wondering is this is the end? Hahaha

https://youtu.be/Z7TC5QFlz0M

IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: 802SHO on August 11, 2020, 07:37:35 AM
On Friday 8/7/20 My son and I drove to New England Dragway to do a full send with the car. I didn't realize that or check to see what if any events were being held other than the fact that is was Street Night. The night before I changed the oil with Royal Purple HPS and motorcraft filter, added some Redline water wetter to my new radiator fluid, packed tools in case I blew a cloupler on the IC, everything I would need to jack the car up, take a wheel off, really any oh s*** moments I tried to bring something I could use to get myself back up and running. Brought my computer to view data logs, a few gallons of 110, my empty 5 gal pale of M1 to refill at the track, tire pressure gauge with air release to quickly drop tire pressure, 4K camcorder and Dragy. I ran the car empty and filled back up with 110.

It was packed, there was a huge line of cars well before you get close to pay to get in....then I checked...oh 603 Diesel Night....great! Track tech took forever....didn't get much time for a cool down from my 3 hour drive. Put 3 bags of ice on it and walked to the fuel shack to fill up my M1 pale that was literally empty and I needed to add some to my car before making my first pass. So much cheaper there. At home I pay 79.99 for 5 gal of M1, at the track I paid $30 to fill it so no brainer right there. Dropped my tire pressure to 28 in the front and headed to get in line. My son and my cousin who lives 30 min from the track took my camcorder to film me. I waited maybe 20 min in line to take my first pass....not bad. But I anticipated longer so I was trying to get my computer situated....and this was a full dick pass, no other seats but my Kirky Driver seat, all door panels off except the driver side and door speakers in the back doors removed. Definitely the lightest my car has even been, although I didn't bother weighing it I was unsure of being able to go. So first pass I was unable to get the log because I turned my car off and when I needed to go I couldn't reach the buttons on the computer sitting on the passenger floor as the device had lost its connection from turning the car off. Then I shallow staged on accident, thought to put it in reverse but he dropped the tree so I started late. Ran an 11.75 on Dragy which actually was 1.5 tenths too fast...that was the most Dragy has ever been off for me...it was actually an 11.90 run and of course I wasn't too happy with that time. I should be able to get into the 1.6 60 ft with my Drag tires as my best with street tires is a 1.72...but no I went 2.0 for a 60ft....like wtf? I had a 15 shot pre IC and 35 shot pre TB...the car felt like it stopped pulling right at the end of that run...which I've felt before with nitrous...never felt that ever when I'm not using nitrous....so I got mad bc I ran 11.89 last year full interior and no nitrous .....so I hot lap it and go back....I also was funneled into the left lane...at this track I've never got a good time in the left lane ever....my buddy who goes there all the time told me a couple years ago...you want the right lane, they use it for private rentals and it always has better prep. So right there I wasn't happy about having to be in the left lane. So second time around I purposely went in the right lane....well aren't they only running left now....and I literally let my car idle for 15 min...IAT2 wouldn't get above 147 but I figured that was trash too. And this isn't the first time I got pissed off and went back and ran faster....not sure how that works haha

I hit a better 60 ft a 1.79 ...I didn't touch nitrous until 3rd gear and this time it didn't stop pulling and ran 11.67. Again not happy about that....considering I ran 11.69 with a 1.86 60 ft last year in August also with full interior on street tires with a 35 shot....so what is going on?

I logged last years 11.69 so I looked at the logs back and forth back and forth so this is what happened or at least is a big part of whah happened. Last year I used a tune with 19 psi with spark capped to 18-20 and shifting at 6200 rpm. This year I'm using 20 psi with 15-16 spark and shifting at 5700. And why? Well again I'm worried about the stock motor and I want to try to use some caution.....but clearly I was faster last year and losing 5 degrees of spark and shifting early even with 1 more psi of boost didn't help. I'm happy to be able to drive home and go back and try again but it's frustrating. I want to play it safe but at the same time I want the 4 grand I spent to make a difference .....and there's always the version of being frustrated with a running car vs being frustrated with a broken car....so there's that. I'd be willing to bet if I ran last years tune and let the porting I had done and better fuel pressure the pumps and drag tires and a littler lighter make up the difference. So this is what you get to deal with when you got a stock motor....Always wondering is this is the end? Hahaha

Sounds like it was less than stellar at the track which sucks when you are hoping to get a good ET...

With all the changes you have done, I would have been surprised if your first track event yielded desired results. Takes tweaking to get there for sure! It will get better, just need some adjustments. And you need to take the diaper off and let her eat to red line :-) 500 rpms is a significant amount of the power band...

If you look at the dyno sheets with upgraded turbos, that last 1000 rpms is all power. So you are handicapping yourself with shifting early. Stock turbos drop like hot rock high up in the RPMS...

Next time hopefully will result in a different outcome!

802SHO

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on August 11, 2020, 08:04:32 AM

Sounds like it was less than stellar at the track which sucks when you are hoping to get a good ET...

With all the changes you have done, I would have been surprised if your first track event yielded desired results. Takes tweaking to get there for sure! It will get better, just need some adjustments. And you need to take the diaper off and let her eat to red line :-) 500 rpms is a significant amount of the power band...

If you look at the dyno sheets with upgraded turbos, that last 1000 rpms is all power. So you are handicapping yourself with shifting early. Stock turbos drop like hot rock high up in the RPMS...

Take the diaper off hahahaha I appreciate that well spoken yet very true statement!!  To be honest I didn't realize it was tuned that way.  Like mentioned last year it was 19 psi 18-20 spark which I believe is conservative spark and the knock sensors go flat at WOT bc they aren't allowed to add timing...I'm sure they want to....so I felt that was siding with caution last year.  This year we went 20 psi and on my part I assumed it was 18-20 spark and no changes to rpm....it wasn't until I studied the logs I found the spark at 15-16 and 5700 shifting.  Which is why I think even if I ran 19 psi again and back to 20 spark and 6200 I would be maybe a 10th or 2 faster from my new mods and still be siding with caution.  So we'll see.  But it was interesting for sure that I hit lapped it and idled for so long....held off on nitrous until 3rd and ran faster. 

I still had a good time bc I just needed to see where I was at.  It did suck driving 3 hours to be there for 3 hours then drive back and only get two runs in....track prep I'm sure wasn't as good by the time I went.  All part of the game I suppose.  As per typical fashion I'll be faster as I go....which is how it's always been for me.  So long as September goes well look for a stellar performance early to mid October when DA flirts with -2000 ft.  The DA was about 1000ft there.  So also still really good. 

StealBlueSho

Quote from: 802SHO on August 11, 2020, 08:35:51 AM

Take the diaper off hahahaha I appreciate that well spoken yet very true statement!!  To be honest I didn't realize it was tuned that way.  Like mentioned last year it was 19 psi 18-20 spark which I believe is conservative spark and the knock sensors go flat at WOT bc they aren't allowed to add timing...I'm sure they want to....so I felt that was siding with caution last year.  This year we went 20 psi and on my part I assumed it was 18-20 spark and no changes to rpm....it wasn't until I studied the logs I found the spark at 15-16 and 5700 shifting.  Which is why I think even if I ran 19 psi again and back to 20 spark and 6200 I would be maybe a 10th or 2 faster from my new mods and still be siding with caution.  So we'll see.  But it was interesting for sure that I hit lapped it and idled for so long....held off on nitrous until 3rd and ran faster. 

I still had a good time bc I just needed to see where I was at.  It did suck driving 3 hours to be there for 3 hours then drive back and only get two runs in....track prep I'm sure wasn't as good by the time I went.  All part of the game I suppose.  As per typical fashion I'll be faster as I go....which is how it's always been for me.  So long as September goes well look for a stellar performance early to mid October when DA flirts with -2000 ft.  The DA was about 1000ft there.  So also still really good. 

Glad it was fun over all!!!

I'm betting the 5700 shift was an accident... I have run into that almost every time I did a major modification that resulted in a significant increase in power.. both Matt and Brad mention it's a torque limiter that causes it...

I have faith it will all get worked out!

802SHO

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on August 11, 2020, 08:39:38 AM

I'm betting the 5700 shift was an accident... I have run into that almost every time I did a major modification that resulted in a significant increase in power.. both Matt and Brad mention it's a torque limiter that causes it...

I talked to Brad about it.  He purposely did that bc he's read recently high rpm stresses things exponentially.  He said things have gone boom with 20 psi 20 spark and 6200 rpm.  And even if you have no knock things can fail from a pure power perspective.  I'm willing to risk it with a similar tune from last year since I've already taken it to that level.  And a huge plus is my fuel pressure this year.  Last year I would make 2400 psi and maintain....but playing with nitrous it would dip to about 1100 but recover and actually in the log from last year the 11.69 it dipped a few times .....this year even with nitrous it makes 2800 and doesn't skip a beat so that's a huge step out of danger zone

GotGrip?

Are you running 91/93 or e30?
2016 SHO Non-PP, GH/AJP E30 Tune,3Bar MAP, K&N Typoon, EPP Noisemaker Delete, H&R Springs, ZEDD SL5 19x9.5, PS Drilled/Slotted rotors, TreadStone TR8C FMIC, SSM Trans Mounts, TCE Custom Catted DPs, FMIC Sprayer, XDI35

Current Dyno: 421/503 (pre-dp/XDI)

802SHO

Quote from: GotGrip? on August 11, 2020, 02:11:34 PM
Are you running 91/93 or e30?
I run 93 and meth.  On the way to the track I ran it empty about 10 miles to E and switched to 110 octane

StealBlueSho

Quote from: 802SHO on August 11, 2020, 01:23:45 PM
Quote from: StealBlueSHO on August 11, 2020, 08:39:38 AM

I talked to Brad about it.  He purposely did that bc he's read recently high rpm stresses things exponentially.  He said things have gone boom with 20 psi 20 spark and 6200 rpm.  And even if you have no knock things can fail from a pure power perspective.  I'm willing to risk it with a similar tune from last year since I've already taken it to that level.  And a huge plus is my fuel pressure this year.  Last year I would make 2400 psi and maintain....but playing with nitrous it would dip to about 1100 but recover and actually in the log from last year the 11.69 it dipped a few times .....this year even with nitrous it makes 2800 and doesn't skip a beat so that's a huge step out of danger zone

Gotcha, well if it was intentional then ya, your knee capping yourself lol...

Sounds like a motor build might be around the corner :-)

Macgyver

What about Nitrous after the 1-2 shift ? Is the gear too short to make the best of it ?

I think your 60' is "slow" for what you want/expect from the SHO. Isnt the rule of thumb. Fast 60' is better for the SHO 1/4 even if you trap less top end ?

802SHO

Quote from: Macgyver on August 12, 2020, 12:42:11 AM
What about Nitrous after the 1-2 shift ? Is the gear too short to make the best of it ?

I think your 60' is "slow" for what you want/expect from the SHO. Isnt the rule of thumb. Fast 60' is better for the SHO 1/4 even if you trap less top end ?
For my first time with the radials yes my 60 ft wasn't good at all.  I need to get those tires to hook and I should be in the upper 1.6 range with them.  Being that it was at night and my first time having two jets so two buttons...I couldn't see them very well, was trying to feel for them and get my hand in a comfortable position, I hit the pre IC 15 shot jet first while in 1st and then added the 35 shot pre TB after shifting into 2nd and it didn't hook I think I spun....also I tried this with TC on, something I've been messing with recently it seems to help keep the car faster with TC on most of the time I've tried it.  So second hot lap where I should have been slower as now I got everything hot and put the phenolic spacer to the test.....I wondered if I even needed nitrous at all bc I shouldn't for an 11.9.  And I've always used TC off at the track previously so I figured I would just do what I always do and leave TC off for the next pass, and not touch nitrous until 3rd.  I still spun a little in first but cut the 2.0 60 ft to a 1.79 which I definitely shouldn't need radials for....but I have no idea if track prep was all that good to begin with getting there so late and in the usually worse prepped left lane.  So idk.  I feel confident I'll snag a 1.6 60 ft before the season is over up here

Macgyver

You have everything you need. You just gotta tweak it as people have said. I feel confident that once you are comfortable and can get your 1.6ish 60ft you will get the numbers you want.

SM105K

Andrew what tire pressure are you running the radials at?
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

802SHO

Quote from: SM105K on August 13, 2020, 10:34:02 AM
Andrew what tire pressure are you running the radials at?
I tried 28 psi at the track