• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

F150 Boost pressure feels limited

Started by Defhd10, March 01, 2020, 05:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Defhd10

Hello everyone. Ive posted this on a few other forums and havent had much luck so figured id share this here as well for any advice.

I have a 2013 f150 with 63500 miles. I have a s&b drop in filter and a full race resonated exhaust.

A few weeks ago I got the recall notice for the transmission downshift to 1st gear. Ive never experienced the sudden downshift but decided to get the recall flash done. After getting the truck back something doesnt seem right. The truck feels very sluggish now. What sticks out most to me is the boost. I monitor parameters with an edge insight cts2. Prior to the flash i could easily build/hold up to 12 pounds of boost. Now after the flash the boost seems to be limited to 7 pounds under the same driving conditions. Only way i see the 12 pounds is if i run wide open throttle. But for normal driving and pulling grades, the boost will only climb to 7 pounds and will not increase, making the truck need to downshift where as it never needed to before.

I fully understand these vehicles are torque based and boost is never consistent,  but clearly something is not right in this case. Also i have well over 1000 miles after the flash so i dont believe it is just the truck "learning."

Things i have done so far to try and find a fix include: new plugs, new map sensors, new ebov, new wastegate solenoid, new wastegate actuators set to correct specs, a different throttle body, boost leak tested with no leaks, pressurized all vacuum lines and found no leaks. Also intercooler is dry with no condensation. All this with no improvement leaves me to believe something happened during the flash and the problem lies within the pcm limiting something.

If anyone has any advice on what to check or look for please let me know. I will add that i do have a custom tune for the truck, but boost was limited to 7 pounds on it as well, and datalogging revealed no issues.  Sorry for such a long post.  Thank you!

ZSHO

I would check your waste-gate hoses for premature wear and tear and verify they are indeed intact..
Have you tried performing a PCM Memory reset by removing ground and negative on battery terminal to re-learn values! What Boost pressure (psi) are you seeing in stock tune! BTW Welcome aboard. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Defhd10

Quote from: ZSHO on March 01, 2020, 06:02:06 PM
I would check your waste-gate hoses for premature wear and tear and verify they are intact..
Have you tried performing a PCM'S Memory reset by removing ground and negative on battery terminal to re-learn values! What Boost pressure (psi) are you seeing in stock tune! BTW Welcome aboard! Z

Thanks for the welcome!  Wastegate hoses are good. I unhooked the t fitting that attaches to the wastegate solenoid and put in 10lbs of pressure to each wastegate. The hoses and actuators held the pressure with no leaks. A pcm reset was done along with a throttle reset and neither made any difference. Stock pressure will max at 12psi, which i will see at WOT. When not wot i only am seeing 7psi. I used to be able to pull a hill 6th gear torque converter locked and build up to 10 or 11lbs before needing to downshift. Now it will only build and hold 7lbs and constantly needs to downshift to maintain speed. Even after a downshift it wont increase pressure.

SHOdded

check the actuator at the turbos to see if the c clip is perhaps loose.  that has happened on the SHO turbos.  it's hard to look inside the turbo to see if the linkage is on the verge of breaking without actually removing the turbo from the vehicle, but that is a possibility as well.  not familiar with the f150, but plenty of 2.0s have had that linkage break and the pressure continually vented.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Defhd10

Quote from: SHOdded on March 01, 2020, 07:19:08 PM
check the actuator at the turbos to see if the c clip is perhaps loose.  that has happened on the SHO turbos.  it's hard to look inside the turbo to see if the linkage is on the verge of breaking without actually removing the turbo from the vehicle, but that is a possibility as well.  not familiar with the f150, but plenty of 2.0s have had that linkage break and the pressure continually vented.

C clip is intact and the 2 nuts are tight on both turbos. It could be possible that the linkage itself could be going bad. Just seems very odd that this issue appeared right after a reflash. Could it be possible for the issue to be in the software and not the hardware?

SHOdded

absolutely.  this is not uncommon, especially if the file is flawed.  sometimes the fix is to change tuners (no joke).  have you sent your log file in for review by the tuner?  they should be able to adjust what they need to on their end, or suggest what you need to inspect on yours.

if the vehicle is running on a stock/oem file, any updates by the dealer have potential to change the strategy code, which in turn means you have to have your tune updated if you are running a tune.

If you have not already, pull the neg battery cable for 40+ minutes to reset the KAM (or use the jumper method shown by FordTechMakuloco on his YT channel).  Let the vehicle relearn, see if that changes anything.  You may even need to reset the TCM (not part of the KAM reset) via either Forscan or a high level scan tool.  If the settings in the TCM are not updating to the current PCM KAM adaptations, that could be the issue right there.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Defhd10

Quote from: SHOdded on March 01, 2020, 08:23:36 PM
absolutely.  this is not uncommon, especially if the file is flawed.  sometimes the fix is to change tuners (no joke).  have you sent your log file in for review by the tuner?  they should be able to adjust what they need to on their end, or suggest what you need to inspect on yours.

if the vehicle is running on a stock/oem file, any updates by the dealer have potential to change the strategy code, which in turn means you have to have your tune updated if you are running a tune.

If you have not already, pull the neg battery cable for 40+ minutes to reset the KAM (or use the jumper method shown by FordTechMakuloco on his YT channel).  Let the vehicle relearn, see if that changes anything.  You may even need to reset the TCM (not part of the KAM reset) via either Forscan or a high level scan tool.  If the settings in the TCM are not updating to the current PCM KAM adaptations, that could be the issue right there.
Thank you for the tip i may have to look into the tcm. One thing i guess i didnt mention is i am currently on the stock tune. I did have the custom tune written for the new strategy, and did a datalog and sent to the tuner. They said there didnt appear to be anything wrong. The truck runs the same way on both the stock and custom tune. Of course the custom tune feels much better but is still being limited  to 7lbs for some reason.  So could it be a glitch in the factory tune causing the issue both stock and tuned?

SHOdded

Shouldn't be.  Possible the tuner does not have experience with this new strategy.  But I would try clearing the PCM's KAM and TCM's adaptive tables by brute force first.

Defhd10

Quote from: SHOdded on March 02, 2020, 02:12:56 AM
Shouldn't be.  Possible the tuner does not have experience with this new strategy.  But I would try clearing the PCM's KAM and TCM's adaptive tables by brute force first.
Thank you  i will try that.

Defhd10

So this morning i perform a KAM reset. I did not see a TCM reset option in forscan so i was unable to do that. Even with the KAM reset it made no difference. 7lbs is all i can get unless wot.

SHOdded

The tuning device may allow you to reset the TCM.  If in doubt, ask the tuner.

Defhd10

I know its highly unlikely the issue lies within the stock tune, but i think i am going to have the dealer flash it again just so i can rule the possibility out. I know anything can happen at any moment, but it seems very odd to me that i had not one single issue prior to the recall, but am now having issues directly after the recall. Coincidence maybe i dont know. Like i said ive pretty much touched everything boost related other then physically removing the turbos and checking them. But if its the pcm telling eveything what to do, could it be a glitch in the pcm itself.  Following along other threads on different forums, it seems pretty mixed on the outcome of the recall. Alot have no issues but others are having problems afterwards as well. None seem to have the same problem i am though, not that i have found anyway. 

Defhd10

Well i had the dealer flash it again this morning and of course no change.  Anyone have any other suggestions on what to check or look for?  I am completely out of ideas.

SM105K

On your original post you said that the custom tune was also limited to 7 psi and that the datalogs revealed no issues.  Who reviewed the datalogs?  Did your tuner say there was not issues with the logs? 

I would like to know what your waste gate duty cycle is doing, along with your commanded/desired boost vs actual boost is doing at the very least.       
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Defhd10

Quote from: SM105K on March 05, 2020, 11:44:32 AM
On your original post you said that the custom tune was also limited to 7 psi and that the datalogs revealed no issues.  Who reviewed the datalogs?  Did your tuner say there was not issues with the logs? 

I would like to know what your waste gate duty cycle is doing, along with your commanded/desired boost vs actual boost is doing at the very least.     
I am tuned through unleashed tuning. I sent Torrie 3 logs of when the boost was being limited,  and he sent a revision. I tried the revision and still no change. I flashed back to stock and noticed it was still doing the same.  I mentioned to him it did the same stock and he said it is not the tune then which i agree with. I really hate to keep bothing him about it because i know hes limited on what he can do on his end. Im able to log but i dont understand it like others are able to. If someone can send me a config, id be more then happy to log and have someone read it.