• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

F150 Boost pressure feels limited

Started by Defhd10, March 01, 2020, 05:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SM105K

Quote from: Defhd10 on March 05, 2020, 12:03:27 PM
Quote from: SM105K on March 05, 2020, 11:44:32 AM
On your original post you said that the custom tune was also limited to 7 psi and that the datalogs revealed no issues.  Who reviewed the datalogs?  Did your tuner say there was not issues with the logs? 

I would like to know what your waste gate duty cycle is doing, along with your commanded/desired boost vs actual boost is doing at the very least.     
I am tuned through unleashed tuning. I sent Torrie 3 logs of when the boost was being limited,  and he sent a revision. I tried the revision and still no change. I flashed back to stock and noticed it was still doing the same.  I mentioned to him it did the same stock and he said it is not the tune then which i agree with. I really hate to keep bothing him about it because i know hes limited on what he can do on his end. Im able to log but i dont understand it like others are able to. If someone can send me a config, id be more then happy to log and have someone read it.

You can send me a couple of datalogs.  Just send me what you sent Torrie.  I have a bunch of different configs that I can look at.

Strongmantaylor@gmail.com
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Defhd10

Quote from: SM105K on March 05, 2020, 12:52:50 PM
On your original post you said that the custom tune was also limited to 7 psi and that the datalogs revealed no issues.  Who reviewed the datalogs?  Did your tuner say there was not issues with the logs? 

I would like to know what your waste gate duty cycle is doing, along with your commanded/desired boost vs actual boost is doing at the very least.     
I am tuned through unleashed tuning. I sent Torrie 3 logs of when the boost was being limited,  and he sent a revision. I tried the revision and still no change. I flashed back to stock and noticed it was still doing the same.  I mentioned to him it did the same stock and he said it is not the tune then which i agree with. I really hate to keep bothing him about it because i know hes limited on what he can do on his end. Im able to log but i dont understand it like others are able to. If someone can send me a config, id be more then happy to log and have someone read it.

You can send me a couple of datalogs.  Just send me what you sent Torrie.  I have a bunch of different configs that I can look at.

Thanks. Just please know im not trying to point the finger at anyones tune or blame anyone. The truck does do this stock as well so i dont believe its a tuning issue. Just dont want anyone to get the wrong idea.

SM105K

Quote from: Defhd10 on March 05, 2020, 01:16:38 PM
Quote from: SM105K on March 05, 2020, 12:52:50 PM

Thanks. Just please know im not trying to point the finger at anyones tune or blame anyone. The truck does do this stock as well so i dont believe its a tuning issue. Just dont want anyone to get the wrong idea.

I understand.  I just want to see what is being commanded vs actual.  That will give me an idea what is going to on.  If it is commanding 14 psi and only making 7 to 10 psi, then we know something is off in theory.  Could be a boost leak, software issue, ect...
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SHOdded

Wouldn't be surprised if Ford is buying time to find the real solution.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Defhd10

Quote from: SHOdded on March 05, 2020, 02:13:23 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Ford is buying time to find the real solution.
Well my dad has the exact same truck as me down to every option except color and he has had the recall done as well. His runs perfect. He can pull the same hills i do and his will hold 6th where mine drops to 5th. His is stock tuned an never has seen a tune, but his truck stock is running better then mine.  I cant figure it out. I dont know if its a mechanical problem, software problem, etc.  Something is holding back power.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

derfdog15

Do you have any codes or otherwise? When I toasted something in the SHO (never found out what) I was getting an underboost condition code, as it would only make 4PSI. I chased a lot other than physically checking turbos and never found anything.

Are you able to put the truck in M to make it hold gear? Would be interesting to see boost with it rev'd out and holding.

You mentioned exhaust, was that done before or after the issue presented? Could be an exhaust pressure issue if it was done afterwards.

Additionally, what tuner do you have (actual device)? The SCT X4 has a CAM reset option, and the TCM can be reset bu doing a fill battery disconnect for ~40 minutes to an hour and then reconnecting. There is a sequence to learn it properly regarding how long to idle, how long to run AC, etc. but I don't know the specifics of it. I would do a KAM reset (you can do that from the SCT X4 device too) and then battery for a full reset.

Additionally, I would check with ford if they moved shift points, or adjusted anything else regarding shifts.

2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Defhd10

Quote from: derfdog15 on March 06, 2020, 08:50:36 AM
Do you have any codes or otherwise? When I toasted something in the SHO (never found out what) I was getting an underboost condition code, as it would only make 4PSI. I chased a lot other than physically checking turbos and never found anything.

Are you able to put the truck in M to make it hold gear? Would be interesting to see boost with it rev'd out and holding.

You mentioned exhaust, was that done before or after the issue presented? Could be an exhaust pressure issue if it was done afterwards.

Additionally, what tuner do you have (actual device)? The SCT X4 has a CAM reset option, and the TCM can be reset bu doing a fill battery disconnect for ~40 minutes to an hour and then reconnecting. There is a sequence to learn it properly regarding how long to idle, how long to run AC, etc. but I don't know the specifics of it. I would do a KAM reset (you can do that from the SCT X4 device too) and then battery for a full reset.

Additionally, I would check with ford if they moved shift points, or adjusted anything else regarding shifts.
No codes at all through all of this. I really wish it would throw a code so i could maybe get another idea. I have tried the manual mode. Again only allowing 7lbs max and will drop as climbing the hill. Exhaust has been on the truck now for over 5 years without any issues so i dont believe thats the problem. I have an sct x4. I have done multiple kam resets with no change after doing so. I will have to disconnect the battery today for an hour and see what happens. The ford dealer claims that shifts couldve been changed, but theyre not fully sure.  Again like i said my dad has had the same recall, and his runs perfect. I even checked his strategy with the x4 and his strategy is the same as mine.

derfdog15

My next thought is the boost control solenoid. Its a $30 part that routes to each turbo, for the reference IIRC. There is a chance it is failing, but could also just be a part that gets thrown at the truck with no benefit. Up to you if its worth it to take a $30 gamble. If you're dad is OK with it, you may be able to swap the part and see if the issue switches trucks.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

Defhd10

Quote from: derfdog15 on March 06, 2020, 02:14:55 PM
My next thought is the boost control solenoid. Its a $30 part that routes to each turbo, for the reference IIRC. There is a chance it is failing, but could also just be a part that gets thrown at the truck with no benefit. Up to you if its worth it to take a $30 gamble. If you're dad is OK with it, you may be able to swap the part and see if the issue switches trucks.
Yup ive tried his solenoid along with a brand new one. No change. I tried all his map sensors in mine. No change. Tried his bov along with a brand new one. No change. Even tried all his coil packs out of curiosity.  No change. I put 10lbs of pressure into the vaccum lines going to each wastegate to see if i had a leak. No leaks as it held the pressure no problem. Either this problem is so deep i cant find it or im overlooking the obvious.   

derfdog15

I guess the next question would be regarding the logs is the truck making the power its asking for? If the truck is meeting the demands of what it is asking for, then the issue would lay somewhere with the change in calibration.

ZSHO

I noticed on your initial post you mentioned new actuator's! Stock or aftermarket! If so do you have an updated revised Tune to accommodate the new Actuators! TOL. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Defhd10

Quote from: derfdog15 on March 06, 2020, 02:46:11 PM
I guess the next question would be regarding the logs is the truck making the power its asking for? If the truck is meeting the demands of what it is asking for, then the issue would lay somewhere with the change in calibration.
This im unsure of. Still waiting on another member looking into this to let me know. It does it both stock and tuned though.

Defhd10

Quote from: ZSHO on March 06, 2020, 04:05:12 PM
I noticed on your initial post you mentioned new actuator's! Stock or aftermarket! If so do you have an updated revised Tune to accommodate the new Actuators! TOL. Z
Stock replacement actuators from full race. They were set to the same specs as the originals the came off the truck. I can put pressure to them and they start to open and are fully extended with what specs are called for on the f150.

Defhd10

So ive had some logs read by a couple different people. All saying the truck is making the power it should and everything looks normal. I dont get it. When accelerating from a stop, the boost is "choppy", i can feel the truck surge until once up to speed.  Sometimes when shifting gears i see a huge spike in boost, sometimes 10lbs then settling back down. And once up to speed the boost will not climb any higher then 7lbs. This is the same on both the stock file and tune file.  Im at a complete loss. I have no idea what could be causing this. Everything ive done or tried has made no difference what so ever. I was told it could possibly be bad fuel, but ive ran about 3 full tanks of fuel through this thing since the problems started with no change. If anyone else has any suggestions im open to anything.