• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

For those looking for something different for a 2nd (or 3rd) car

Started by FoMoCoSHO, May 26, 2020, 03:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

Find a lightly used CMAX hybrid Titanium and take it for a spin...

Now I know a couple here have driven base models and I own both...you just can't compare them as they're completely different cars. I test drove an SE and was pretty underwhelmed. Bought one for one of the kids. We were both blown away when she brought home my Titanium.

PROS

Mid 7 second 0-60

Bulletproof drivetrain.

CVT puts you where the power is when you punch it

40+MPG (best tank to date 47.5) I run Shell V-power 93 with a couple gallons of corn exclusively. Pennzoil 0-20 Ultra-platinum

Incredible view out the front. Combine that with the fixed clear roof panel option and it feels gigantic inside. I feel less cramped vs SHO/MKS. May not seem as big to a larger person and could be mind trick of the outward view and roof.

Stereo is fantastic (better than both GenV SHOs and GenIV THX in Lincoln)

Cargo hatch is versatile and swallows tons of crap.

Kick motion opens hatch when hands are full.

Hybrid INFO display

Gauge package

Quiet

Easy in tight parking situations.

Handles well. Compared to the "Big Girls" it feels like a Go-Kart. I think a wheel and tire mod could enhance pretty drastically.

Longevity...Time on gas engine racks up slowly due to hybrid/electric modes. CVT rock solid. Hybrid system is solid and proved well in NYC taxi use. Lots of high mileage escapes. Ford uses the battery very conservatively. (Actual range in use is 30%-70%)

They are a huge bargain in the used world now.

Prius drivers always want to race. They fail to realize they are about 50 ponies short, lol

CONS

Engine is a little buzzy, but I find this to be the case with all 2.0 Fords. When in hybrid or electric mode its a non issue.

No AWD (That said it handles inclement weather well and I've yet to not get up my steep driveway)

No Ecoboost. (Epower and CVT help negate off the line)

Plug in version eats up cargo area and adds weight. (Mine is not and I probably wouldn't buy one)

Unsure about tuning. Need to shoot Brad $100 bucks to access license. Between battery and gas engine I'd guess there's 30-40 Hp available possibly at expense of battery longevity.

MAF not MAP based

Exterior styling not my fav but I care less about that these days. I love the interior and the outward view.

City mileage better than highway (could be con if you drive on HWY often)

Longer trips always get better MPG (Once again, usage dependent)

In winter conditions and full electric mode modulating the pedal off the line can be tricky at first. Switching from ECO to regular mode makes the CVT behave more like a normal trans which helps linearity and you can also lock out the electric by shifting into low which also gives the benefit of max charging/engine braking. I've just gotten used to it. If its really ugly I lock it in low.

Now I know what some will be thinking and the flame suit is engaged. That being said I've never been a fan of hybrids in general and never in a million years thought I would own one. Everyone who knows me is shocked I bought one and even more shocked how much I enjoy driving it. Life circumstances forced me to be a little more flexible in certain areas and this is one instance that it turned out really well.

FoMoCoSHO

Not Cmax specifically related but of huge importance when driving any electric/hybrid is that much more care is needed in parking lots and residential roads especially if there aren't sidewalks. Walkers, joggers, bike riders, kids, and animals cannot hear you until you are right up on them.

FoMoCoSHO

There is another CON if you are a DIY type...

The packaging is slick but looks like a nightmare for anything but the most minor maintenance. Even changing the air filter even looks to be a serious PITA since its on top of the engine tucked back under the cowl.

jman

Man, I am embarrassed to say that I didn't know that car existed. I had to google what a C-Max was.
I've seen them on the road but always thought they were another version of a Focus or Fiesta.

2010 - Unleashed Tune - Corsa Exhaust - 275/40-R20 - H&R Springs

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: jman on May 27, 2020, 09:43:54 AM
Man, I am embarrassed to say that I didn't know that car existed. I had to google what a C-Max was.
I've seen them on the road but always thought they were another version of a Focus or Fiesta.
I would say marketing probably isn't Ford's strong suit.

The Cmax is actually worse than the SHO when it comes to "What is that?"

Lol

SHOdded

So this is the true reason for the noisemaker's existence  eh :D :P

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 26, 2020, 11:23:21 PM
There is another CON if you are a DIY type...

The packaging is slick but looks like a nightmare for anything but the most minor maintenance. Even changing the air filter even looks to be a serious PITA since its on top of the engine tucked back under the cowl.

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!