• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Check engine flashing, fuel smell, limp mode, and now no start

Started by wraitherx, September 25, 2019, 09:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wraitherx

So looking for some guidance in where to look. Was driving home when the car all of a sudden went into limp mode and the check engine light started to flash. Now from previous experience this was a tell tale sign of a sever or multiple misfire. I was about 5 miles from home and decided to take it slow... coming to a stop and it would almost feel as if the car was about to die. So decided to have my buddy pick me up with his trailer and trail it the rest of the way home. Get home and check for codes and nothing. I mean nothing!  Tried to restart the car and nothing. Acted as if the battery was dead and then when it did crank it just kept cranking and then I smelled fuel. So for now I pulled the negative terminal off to see if the problem reoccurs and then I'll go from there and hopefully a code pops up. Just seeing if anyone's experienced this or thoughts on the issue.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

SHOdded

Fuel injector(s) leaking enough to get into the cats.  Mode $06 data helps pinpoint when no codes are yet set.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

wraitherx

Here's the codes
P0306
P0304
P0300
P00c6
P0087

Now the first three codes I had already assumed. The second two after researching has yet to find something to pinpoint to although a majority seem to think the 4th code is indicative of an injector. Car is bone stock other than drop in and was planning to change plugs next week. Thoughts?
2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

SHOdded

You need to plan on changing injectors instead LOL.  But the codes seem to at least point to the LPFP and/or the FPCM instead of the injectors.  Yours is ripe to be the FPCM since there has been a recall on gen 5 modules, you would have to check owner.ford.com to see if your SHO is on the list.  Fairly inexpensive and easy to replace yourself in any case.

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,4974
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6600

But the LPFP could also be suspect as noted in the thread above ^^^ and there was a recall for that as well on gen 5 SHOs.
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3836.msg84448.html#msg84448
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

wraitherx

I've got about 65k on the odo. I do remember bringing in the car for a battery change and they did the recall. I'll have to double check that though.

After looking with my vin the only thing I have left
Is that extended warranty for the APIM

2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

SHOdded

if its not the FPCM, then we are down to the more-work type of stuff :(

wraitherx

That's what I'm leaning more towards. I'm gonna pull the 3 and 6 plug here shortly to see if they are soaked in fuel which would lead me to believe injectors. Will report back after for future readings of other effected owners.

2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

SHOdded

wraitherx

So pulled the plug out and sure enough it was smelling like fuel. Smelled down into the plug hole as well and a strong odor of fuel. Looks like I'll need to replace the fuel injectors on both cylinders.

2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

StinkinLinkin13

Fuel injector stuck open... Causes fuel rail pressure drop. Went through the same thing earlier this year. Pull the plugs and you will hear and see the fuel injection spraying into the cylinder even with just ignition on. Avoid cranking to prevent hydrolocking... When the injector is stuck open in constantly sprays with key on until the fuel pressure is lost. Even after keyd off it will continue to dump fuel into the cylinder.

Edit for post at same time... Replace them all while your there. Pay a little more now. Avoid headache later.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

wraitherx

@SL13, thanks for the reply!  And for Z and Shodded as well.

That was more on the lines I was thinking. I was due to change my plugs out next week and my oil as well and now it looks like I'll be doing more than that. SMH.

So I'll be replacing all 6 at the same time. Anything I need to watch out for or tips?  I've got the FSM from my 2010 and would assume that it's pretty much the same but if you know the torque values of the manifold bolts that would be great. Also, are they reusable or TTY?  I'm more than likely going to document through the entirety to have for future reference for anyone.

Side note, it's funny how when you want to do one thing another thing, like this, comes up. I just got my wheels back from powder coating and was going to finish putting them together when I got home until this happened. So now they are in the back burner. This money was supposed to go for my suspension and tires but not anymore

2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

SHOdded

Deebeaux had posted a series of videos when he did his injectors, you will find them very helpful. 
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6357
Youtube playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2X2Yq_kpqily-1H_6GEbYKocqJFSEagK

I had also posted the factory procedure somewhere but it is better to access Nick's online link here
http://www.nicksmustangranch.com/Service_Manuals/2014/2014_Taurus/Service%20Manual.htm

Nova

Quote from: wraitherx on September 26, 2019, 11:08:37 AM
@SL13, thanks for the reply!  And for Z and Shodded as well.

That was more on the lines I was thinking. I was due to change my plugs out next week and my oil as well and now it looks like I'll be doing more than that. SMH.

So I'll be replacing all 6 at the same time. Anything I need to watch out for or tips?  I've got the FSM from my 2010 and would assume that it's pretty much the same but if you know the torque values of the manifold bolts that would be great. Also, are they reusable or TTY?  I'm more than likely going to document through the entirety to have for future reference for anyone.

Side note, it's funny how when you want to do one thing another thing, like this, comes up. I just got my wheels back from powder coating and was going to finish putting them together when I got home until this happened. So now they are in the back burner. This money was supposed to go for my suspension and tires but not anymore

OOOO I can't wait to see those on your car, what are the specs of those?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

StinkinLinkin13

No problem. I know that feeling. When my injector crapped out I literally was doing my second pull with my brand new HPFP on a freshly installed E30 tune. My only advice is be patient take your time and install quality oem parts. You will need new fuel rail bolts, injector retainers/clips, small wire ties etc... I believe they come in a kit with o-rings. Also the intake manifold gasket kit. Those coolant seals were a PIA to remove from the manifold in my case. They just kept tearing in pieces. (I believe one coolant seal was sold separately from the kit. Verify.) Separating the upper manifold from the head was fun too. Just stuck by the seals... It seemed like I missed a bolt there for a while but it was just the seals acting like a strong adhesive. Good luck!
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -