• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU and Engine Oil Change...

Started by Ecoboost_xsport, July 25, 2020, 01:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecoboost_xsport

Got the engine as well as the PTU oil done.

Engine Oil: Pretty straight forward, just showing you guys the switch I made from el cheapo middle of the road Pennzoil stuff to some better Amsoil fluid and filter...

Oil filter is about 33% larger than that cheap service station filter I had on there...btw, I WILL be changing that filter sooner than 25,000 miles, lol.

Onto the PTU.  I am still experimenting with beefing up the PTU I have on my bench, but in the meantime, I am still running my original one and decided to do the drain plug and vent tube extension mod.

This PTU fluid is coming from somewhere. Top of the vent tube and vent tube hose was clean, so wondering if it is leaking from somewhere else.

I like the idea of having the drain on the lowest point to get all of it out, so I bypassed the existing drain port and just added the bottom one.   I was only able to drain out 12 ounces...so 6 ounces disappeared somewhere.  When I drilled the hole for the bottom drain, I stuck a paperclip in there (bent like and "L") and spun it around to see if any grease or sludge would be on it as maybe those 6 ounces converted to "grease", but, to my surprise, came out clean.  IDK...weird.  I never had an oily spot on my driveway.

Drain plug installed...matched my RDU drain plug.  Also put heatshrink around it to keep the cap from ever spinning off.

Love the v-bands...so easy, LOL:

With removal of the front downpipe, I could very easily get to the top vent.  By feel of course, but very easy to reach.  Added the hose and was able to get this clamp on tight:

Used this tool to tighten it blind.  Was pretty easy actually:

Bottom end buttoned up:

Removal of the vent cap and placed this barbed fitting for filling only:

For the PTU, I went with some Amsoil 75W140 Severe Gear lube.  Since I only needed 18 ounces, and there's 32 in the quart pack, I poured out 14 ounces and storing it in another bottle for later:

IV bag-style fill job:

Hole was punctured in bottom of pouch. Even so, it really did take quite awhile.  I let it hang there in the hot sun so it got very viscous, I'm sure, but still took a few hours to drain.  On the new PTU, I will be adding a second fill line next to the vent port.  This will keep from fighting the air coming up.

Installed vent cap, zip tied it off to the side and all done!

SM105K

"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Macgyver

Yes once again. Super well done !!!

WinPlaceSHO

I love that it looks like it's getting an IV drip of Amsoil!
Black 2018 SHO Non-PP | GH e30/AO Tune | PPE Catted Downpipes | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mount | SP-542's | 170 Tstat | 3 bar | H&R Springs | XDI-35 | Badges removed  | Chrome delete | GH IC | EPP CAI | Noisemaker delete | MSD coils

Macgyver

Funny how the Ford Edge ST/Sport 2.7 liter TT and F150 and Fusion and Lincoln is a similar platform but they have totally different Oil changes.

It uses a cartridge filter and the oil pan is composite with a plastic drain plug.

https://youtu.be/CIP9SuNfQSc

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: Macgyver on August 04, 2020, 09:50:10 PM
Funny how the Ford Edge ST/Sport 2.7 liter TT and F150 and Fusion and Lincoln is a similar platform but they have totally different Oil changes.

It uses a cartridge filter and the oil pan is composite with a plastic drain plug.

https://youtu.be/CIP9SuNfQSc

The 2.7 and 3.5 are completely different engine platforms that share almost nothing besides being a V6.  The 2.7 is based on the Ford Nano engine family, while the 3.5 is of the Cyclone (duratec) engine family.

There is very little in common between the 2 engine families except maybe the DI fuel delivery technology as well as the variable cam timing. Not a surprise that they would have different  oil pans and filters...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

TopherSho

I think he means the actual 2.7L available for the F150 ;)       /me runs away!/
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: TopherSho on August 06, 2020, 10:35:28 AM
I think he means the actual 2.7L available for the F150 ;)       /me runs away!/
Ahhhhhh, I see...yeah, I must've misinterpreted the comment...this being a thread about the 3.5 ecoboost drivetrain and all...

My mistake...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Macgyver

Yeah it was just a shocker when I went to dump the oil and it was a whole new process to me.