• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Throttlebody

Started by Randy Stinchcomb, November 17, 2016, 02:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy Stinchcomb

ne1 know the inlet diameter, in mm of the X-Sport 3.5 Eccoboost throttlebody?
Mines not here for me to measure and I wanted to sea if it iz different than an F150, which I have one off.

AJP turbo

What cha going to do with the throttle body?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

Have you seen the size of the charge piping pre intercooler?...if you had a 300mm throttle body with spacer you still have the tiny charge pipes

I give the guy credit  that created the throttle body spacer...they are the scam of the century.... but sometimes you get a cool whistle

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Randy Stinchcomb

Quote from: ZSHO on November 17, 2016, 04:09:40 PM
What R U trying to install a spacer? The F150 Throttle Body is  (73mm). IDK.  Z   http://www.full-race.com/store/ecoboost/f150/bbk-performance-power-plus-throttle-body-73mm.html/

I have a 2015 F150 3.5 Ecco throttlebody and it measures 68.5 mm
No I'm not installing a spacer, what I'm try todo iz sea how different they are, ie: size and connector location.
I sea where they make an aftermarket throttlebody for the F150 but not the Exployer, sea where Im going 😉

SHOdded

I think you will need an adapter at the very least to mount the f150 TB.  I believe someone had explored this option before, possibly in relation to a methanol port.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Randy Stinchcomb

Quote from: SHOdded on November 17, 2016, 07:57:16 PM
I think you will need an adapter at the very least to mount the f150 TB.  I believe someone had explored this option before, possibly in relation to a methanol port.

Could be, funny thing iz I checked Dorman and they show the same part # for both but my dealer says they are different.
Making an adapter iz not a problem😊
I has toolz and my dad was a TV repairman (sum may get that, lol).
FoMoCo has a recall on the F150 throttlebody, so I was able to score a "take-off" from my local Ford dealership.
I'll just have to wait till Saturday and compare to the wifes, damn I hate this getting dark early crap😡

hawkeye93

The bolt spacing is different between the transverse 3.5 and the F150 3.5 throttle bodies.  I bought a Snow F150 meth kit, which came with a meth injection plate, and it wouldn't bolt up at all.
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

kpad09

I remember reading on the Ecoboost Enthusiast facebook page of an upgraded throttlebody that fits the transverse 3.5 made by BBK. Apparently the one from the 2010-2014 Mustang fits.
2014 Taurus SHO non PP, 3Bar Map, 6510 NGK's gapped to .30, 170 degree thermo

AJP turbo

Quote from: kpad09 on November 24, 2016, 12:11:27 PM
I remember reading on the Ecoboost Enthusiast facebook page of an upgraded throttlebody that fits the transverse 3.5 made by BBK. Apparently the one from the 2010-2014 Mustang fits.

Is the TB a known restriction?...many tables in the tune go along the throttle body on drive by wire cars and especially ones that use tq based throttle control...ever read about tuning problems and limp mode with mustangs and throttle bodies?

Throttle bodies help with N/A and supercharger cars because they suck through....turbos blow through so are affected less by small Tb

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Never heard of the TBs on these cars being a restriction.  May be pre-computer/pre-mapping logic.  You CAN however improve the airflow capacity, but you can improve airflow QUALITY by dimpling it.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

kpad09

Quote from: AJP turbo on November 24, 2016, 01:23:09 PM
Quote from: kpad09 on November 24, 2016, 12:11:27 PM

Is the TB a known restriction?...many tables in the tune go along the throttle body on drive by wire cars and especially ones that use tq based throttle control...ever read about tuning problems and limp mode with mustangs and throttle bodies?

Throttle bodies help with N/A and supercharger cars because they suck through....turbos blow through so are affected less by small Tb

I have no idea if the throttle body is an actual restriction, I would assume to make a difference at the throttle body you would have to got to larger piping all the way through. I have a lot to learn about these cars, just got my first ecoboost this summer. When I'm not working it seems I spend time reading up on these things haha.
2014 Taurus SHO non PP, 3Bar Map, 6510 NGK's gapped to .30, 170 degree thermo

J-Will

Quote from: SHOdded on November 24, 2016, 01:25:56 PM
Never heard of the TBs on these cars being a restriction.  May be pre-computer/pre-mapping logic.  You CAN however improve the airflow capacity, but you can improve airflow QUALITY by dimpling it.
I think Unleashed was looking in to dimpling the TB. I haven't heard much from him on this, though I imagine the R&D would be pretty expensive to build/test different patterns and quantify some sort of increase (performance, efficiency, amount, etc).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

Randy Stinchcomb

[/quote]

[/quote]

Simple Not True

bpd1151

There was a SHO owner (forum name was/is FirstSHO Mike) who was the 1st to break the 11 sec. barrier, who had a one off larger TB and he reported that other than a slight improvement in throttle response, the larger TB was of zero benefit time wise at the track.

Based on that experience alone, I would say your efforts are likely to result in a similar experience, and would really question the effort(s) put forth in seeking to gain anything from this endeavor.

What may apply to other platforms, simply has proven (in a general sense) to not hold true when it comes to the EB platform as a whole.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk