• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

How-to optimize drag results

Started by steve142857, October 06, 2013, 08:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airbornemaikai

I've been running a 16% blend with 91 non ethanol and e85. No matter how many times I explain to the attendant exactly to the penny the amount of gas I want they always ask me why. I calculate it to the penny so that way I don't have to worry about accidentally squeezing over at the pump
2014 Explorer Sport
LMS 91 Tune with 3 Bar Map
160º Evenflo T-stat, 0.30 Motorcraft plugs
LMS DP W/HI-Flow Cats, LMS Corsa Cat-Back
Airaid 401-260

Josephm

12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

Airbornemaikai

2014 Explorer Sport
LMS 91 Tune with 3 Bar Map
160º Evenflo T-stat, 0.30 Motorcraft plugs
LMS DP W/HI-Flow Cats, LMS Corsa Cat-Back
Airaid 401-260

SHOnUup

Quote from: Airbornemaikai on October 24, 2014, 09:22:33 PM
I've been running a 16% blend with 91 non ethanol and e85. No matter how many times I explain to the attendant exactly to the penny the amount of gas I want they always ask me why. I calculate it to the penny so that way I don't have to worry about accidentally squeezing over at the pump
They look at me weird too when I say I'll take $3.58 on pump whatever...don't know if it's a man this guy's broke look or is he insane look. Lol

Now that I'm sure to top off each time to keep the mix right, my other weird look getter is gone. As I'd come in purchase a few things and ask for total, then quickly do the math in my head to equal an even amount. The puzzled look when doing this turns to a wow look when they add the odd gas request and it's say $50 even...long lost art of math.

Rich
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

pejohnson

Should I take the under belly shield off?  I know at high speeds people have experienced hood vibration. Not sure if would happen or not at the strip. Thought by removing it might help with engine temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

SHOnUup

Quote from: pejohnson on October 25, 2014, 12:30:20 PM
Should I take the under belly shield off?  I know at high speeds people have experienced hood vibration. Not sure if would happen or not at the strip. Thought by removing it might help with engine temps.

Good question. Maybe extra drag would be created by removing this. Some have removed the plastic strip along the back of the hood where it meets the windshield. Might be a better option to avoid extra drag and the possible hood shake.

Rich

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOdded

I would back Rich's comment about the plastic strip.  Getting rid of heat effectively will probably be a better approach for the drag strip.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Larrylu

Quote from: SHOnUup on October 25, 2014, 12:34:44 PM
Quote from: pejohnson on October 25, 2014, 12:30:20 PM

Good question. Maybe extra drag would be created by removing this. Some have removed the plastic strip along the back of the hood where it meets the windshield. Might be a better option to avoid extra drag and the possible hood shake.

Rich

Removal of the rubber seal at the back of the hood/firewall has been a good experience for me. No noticeable water intrusion at all and coupled with the engine cover removal, I have achieved a real measurable IAT2 temp drop. 
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

pejohnson

Interesting. I may give that a try. Thanks.

13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

ZSHO

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029KC2U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ordered some heat shield tape and installed it around the intake and with the combination of removing the cowl cover that Rich pointed out and engine cover will see a drop in IAT temp's cause our car's are so sealed top to bottom and limiting the engine to breathe,will check with torque if any drop in IAT'S.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOnUup

Would like to defer the above mentioned credit to Larry, (thx though) as I'm pretty sure he was the one with this clever idea.

Rich

dappie99

Taking my to local 1/8 mile track again this weekend. Great tips!

lamrith

So newby to the SHO and AWD launching here, hoping to get a little clarification on the boost brake launch.

As soon as you go green and let off brake do you plant the throttle or roll into it at same time you let off brake?

I know when I have been trying to datalog if I just mat it, it tends to spin allot more than rolling into it.  That is usually colder road vs prepped track though.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

derfdog15

Quote from: lamrith on April 17, 2017, 01:19:08 PM
So newby to the SHO and AWD launching here, hoping to get a little clarification on the boost brake launch.

As soon as you go green and let off brake do you plant the throttle or roll into it at same time you let off brake?

I know when I have been trying to datalog if I just mat it, it tends to spin allot more than rolling into it.  That is usually colder road vs prepped track though.

I got better results by putting it to the floor when launching, I would brake boost between 2000-2200 RPM, and on the 3rd yellow, let out of the brake and simultaneously floor it. This got pretty good reaction times, and nice 60' times with all season tires (1.7-1.9).
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

TopherSho

Quote from: lamrith on April 17, 2017, 01:19:08 PM

--avoid gravel, dirt, water at all costs.
--slowly drive into the box, and super creep to get the second stage light lit without rolling any further into it.
--brake hard
--push the gas so the rpm is 1900-2000 (for me).  keep it STEADY at that rpm.  The SOONER you can start this the better as you are low speed spooling the compressor.  With the compressor already spinning you have taken some of the inertia penalty away from the launch.
--wait for light number 3 on the full tree to light up.. this is 500ms between each light.  so,  yellow, yellow, yellow and go! BEFORE green.  100% stab\murder the gas pedal while releasing the brake.  do this simultaneously and as lightning fast as you can.
--hang on

** LANE ETIQUETTE!  *remember* 
-Know where the exit is... this is critical to not getting thrown off the track.  If the exit is on your LEFT,  and you are in the RIGHT lane. DO NOT CROSS THE LANES until the left car has exited FULLY.  And if the exit is on the RIGHT, and you are in the left lane do not cross the right lane until the right lane has fully exited.
-make eye contact with the lightman when lining up. its polite. and you will be able to communicate more.
-bring pants.
-bring shoes, no sandles
-bring a HELMET,  SNELL SA2010 or better (and yes there expensive-ish), Not a SNEL M2010 helmet although some tracks do not inspect that close, but if they do a M rated helmet is not the same as a SA rated helmet. 

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction