• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

F150 Boost pressure feels limited

Started by Defhd10, March 01, 2020, 05:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

I remember a while back that compressor surge was mentioned on an F150 ... IF IRC lol.  Still could be a boost leak or a defective spring leading to control issues.  Have not heard of hoses popping off the F150, more on the SHOs, but that could always be.

Long read, but may be some treasures in here
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,4958.0.html
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

FWIW- I noticed there are 3 Spring rates available for the wastegate actuators! I'm assuming you went with the Oem replacement.
BTW do you have any PICS of the engine bay to share!  Z

Wastegate Spring - Low Boost (100% OEM replacement)

Wastegate Spring - Mid Boost (custom tuning recommended)

Wastegate Spring - High Boost (extreme applications)

https://www.full-race.com/store/ecoboost/f150-2015-2019/f150-big-turbo-2015-2019/2011-2016-f150-ecoboost-3-5l-wastegate-actuator/

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Defhd10

Quote from: ZSHO on March 10, 2020, 09:21:25 AM
FWIW- I noticed there are 3 Spring rates available for the wastegate actuators! I'm assuming you went with the Oem replacement.
BTW do you have any PICS of the engine bay to share!  Z

Wastegate Spring - Low Boost (100% OEM replacement)

Wastegate Spring - Mid Boost (custom tuning recommended)

Wastegate Spring - High Boost (extreme applications)

https://www.full-race.com/store/ecoboost/f150-2015-2019/f150-big-turbo-2015-2019/2011-2016-f150-ecoboost-3-5l-wastegate-actuator/
Correct oem low boost actuators. I even put the old ones back on thinking maybe i got sent the wrong ones. Still no change.

Defhd10

derfdog15

Have you tried to swap the MAP sensors? Sorry if this was already stated? Could be that you are measuring a certain level of boost, which is not the actual level of boost being made. Just something that comes to mind.

Additionally, if it is surging, then that is indicative of an issue with wastegate, or the boost control solenoid, if not turbos or an actual over pressurization within the intake, or some larger underlying problem.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Defhd10

Quote from: derfdog15 on March 10, 2020, 10:40:33 AM
Have you tried to swap the MAP sensors? Sorry if this was already stated? Could be that you are measuring a certain level of boost, which is not the actual level of boost being made. Just something that comes to mind.

Additionally, if it is surging, then that is indicative of an issue with wastegate, or the boost control solenoid, if not turbos or an actual over pressurization within the intake, or some larger underlying problem.
Tried cleaning the sensors, then replaced the sensors.  No change. replaced the watstegate solenoid with not change. Tried 2 sets of oem actuators set to oem specs with no change. I dont feel its turbos because it runs just fine at wot. I thought for sure i would throw a code yesterday while towing because it was an absolute dog but it did not. I did another boost leak test to see if i had missed anything the first time and again didnt find anything. I just dont understand.

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Defhd10

Quote from: ZSHO on March 10, 2020, 02:43:58 PM
Quote from: Defhd10 on March 10, 2020, 09:38:26 AM
Pic of engine
The map sensor was left loose intentionally correct?  Z
If your talking about the one on top of the intake manifold yes. All f150s only come with one bolt holding it down.

SM105K

Quote from: Defhd10 on March 10, 2020, 05:09:27 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on March 10, 2020, 02:43:58 PM
Quote from: Defhd10 on March 10, 2020, 09:38:26 AM
Pic of engine
The map sensor was left loose intentionally correct?  Z
If your talking about the one on top of the intake manifold yes. All f150s only come with one bolt holding it down.

Z is eluding that the MAP sensor in your picture looks like it is not secure.  Our MAP sensors on the SHO only have one bolt as well. 
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SHOdded

Perhaps the source of the confusion ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Defhd10

I see what you guys are saying. But there are 2 holes on that side of the map. The bolt is in the rear hole and the sensor is secure.

Defhd10

Does anyone think this could be a pcm glitch?  From what ive found, the truck wouldnt have started if the flash would have been missing something.  But remember this is happening both stock and tuned. Boost will climb and basically cap its self right at 7 lbs. But if i do a wide open throttle run, it will build full boost, 12-14 lbs or whatever it is. Could there be something missing from the recall flash thats not telling the computer what to do?  Or could i have a turbo on its way out?  I wouldnt think i would be able to make full boost at wot if a turbo was going bad. I dont have any smoke from exhaust, no high pitched sound of the compressor hitting the housing or a check engine light for low boost. So this makes me feel like the computer is only telling it to allow 7lbs. But a tune should change this and allow for much more, but it does not.

TopherSho

Quote from: Defhd10 on March 11, 2020, 02:07:26 PM
Does anyone think this could be a pcm glitch?  From what ive found, the truck wouldnt have started if the flash would have been missing something.  But remember this is happening both stock and tuned. Boost will climb and basically cap its self right at 7 lbs. But if i do a wide open throttle run, it will build full boost, 12-14 lbs or whatever it is. Could there be something missing from the recall flash thats not telling the computer what to do?  Or could i have a turbo on its way out?  I wouldnt think i would be able to make full boost at wot if a turbo was going bad. I dont have any smoke from exhaust, no high pitched sound of the compressor hitting the housing or a check engine light for low boost. So this makes me feel like the computer is only telling it to allow 7lbs. But a tune should change this and allow for much more, but it does not.

Hmm sounds like to need to find/drive a same year truck with the old firmware and check it out in the handheld.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SHOdded

I definitely think it is software (or maybe PCM) related, since your Dad has basically the same truck with no issues.  You COULD swap PCMs like derf suggested earlier, but IDK how nicely it would play with PATS and other modules on your F150.