• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Transmission leaking 2016 PP SHO

Started by StealBlueSho, October 21, 2019, 06:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Noticed a couple drops of transmission fluid on the floor of the garage last week... couldn't find a leak...

Well yesterday I found a couple more... had time today to jack the car up..  sure enough I found a very small amount of fluid accumulating right here..

Matt Robinson suggested I check the bolts holding the two halves of the trans together... starting from front where there was not leak to the rear... I found the 3 rear bolts pictured here were loose enough that I could tighten them by hand with a standard open ended wrench...

So I torqued them down as tight as I could by hand as I couldn't get the front ones to move. Figured it was close enough without having the torque specs available..

Interestingly enough those bolts are also closest to the upgraded torque mount. If you take away the give somewhere it's got to put pressure somewhere else... I'm wondering if the lack of movement available on the new mounts transferred enough vibrations/movement to cause the bolts to loosen... and what else maybe effected?

Gonna give it a few days and see... I know when the car is warm it doesn't leak... aka the case expands enough to makeup for the slight lack of pressure from the loose bolts..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Chris_Flex

I had the same issue with my flex over a year ago took it into the dealer(under warranty) they first tried to tighten the bolts and leak came right back the next day, they had to remove the transmission and take the case apart and re seal it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost
BC Coilovers
Trans mounts
Unleashed e30 Tune

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Chris_Flex on October 21, 2019, 06:57:02 PM
I had the same issue with my flex over a year ago took it into the dealer(under warranty) they first tried to tighten the bolts and leak came right back the next day, they had to remove the transmission and take the case apart and re seal it

Interesting... well.. I am within the warranty period on mine.. so if it comes back we will see if they will cover it... keeping my fingers crossed.

SHOdded

Did either of you have the trans overfilled at any point?  You know, the pint of protection ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Chris_Flex

Quote from: SHOdded on October 22, 2019, 12:02:57 AM
Did either of you have the trans overfilled at any point?  You know, the pint of protection ...
No, I also didn't have the upgraded trans mounts installed either

2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost
BC Coilovers
Trans mounts
Unleashed e30 Tune

ZSHO

Quote from: Chris_Flex on October 21, 2019, 06:57:02 PM

I hope that rear 02 sensor is not to close for comfort! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

I always keep my trans a pint overfull.. you thinking excess pressure?

SM105K

Interesting.  I have had my mounts for about 2k miles now.  Everything seems to be happy in my car.  I changed the oil and trans fluid swapped two weeks ago and didnt see anything.  However, I will stay vigilant about this.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SM105K on October 22, 2019, 09:59:06 AM
Interesting.  I have had my mounts for about 2k miles now.  Everything seems to be happy in my car.  I changed the oil and trans fluid swapped two weeks ago and didnt see anything.  However, I will stay vigilant about this.

I have had mine on for 4k miles with a couple dyno sessions, a crap load of datalogs, and a few track runs. Could totally be un-related.. but just seems odd that the loose bolts were the ones closest to where the mount is screwed into the trans.

If I drove the car daily then I would probably never notice until it got really bad as it doesn't leak when its warm.

SM105K

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on October 22, 2019, 09:57:02 AM

I don't think these trans need the extra pint.  I think that is a folk tale told by LMS.  That is where I first heard about it from others.  I added a pint to mine and it still failed.  Over filling a trans even with a pint does not sound like a good idea to me anymore.  My new trans (even with the extreme fluid maintenance schedule) will only get the Ford's recommendation on volume for fluid.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SM105K on October 22, 2019, 10:03:45 AM
Quote from: StealBlueSHO on October 22, 2019, 09:57:02 AM

I don't think these trans need the extra pint.  I think that is a folk tale told by LMS.  That is where I first heard about it from others.  I added a pint to mine and it still failed.  Over filling a trans even with a pint does not sound like a good idea to me anymore.  My new trans (even with the extreme fluid maintenance schedule) will only get the Ford's recommendation on volume for fluid.

Matt Robinson recommends a pint over as well.. Additionally from what I understand, the police package vehicles also run a pint over full. LMS recommended it based on Fords recommendation from the police units from what I understand.

Not sure @BPD1151 can confirm this?

I am just hoping I caught it in time to save the seal so its doesn't need to be pulled... if it has to be pulled then I guess here is to hoping my mod friendly dealer overlooks.. well... everything lol..  and perhaps will work with me on slapping in the GH Torque Converter if the trans has to be dropped.

802SHO

I'm leaning towards those loose bolts.  If there weren't any loose bolts then my mind would be wondering.  I had a trans leak for the last two winters as the car sits...its just the clamps where I have the PP cooler...i was not tightening them enough.  Tightened the crap out of them....no leak.
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

SHOdded

I sure hope so.  Gen V seems to have more issues with the drivetrain than Gen IV, for whatever reason.

StinkinLinkin13

Add me to this list... Saw this on my 16 MKS about a month ago. Wasn't 100% sure at the time it was trans fluid. Cleaned it up and checked it again yesterday. Looks like its in approx the same place as SBS near the firewall.. Definitely the silicone seal of the case has broken somewhere in that area... Idk for sure if the torque mounts are to blame but it is plausible.. I'm sure they didn't help. Thankfully Lincoln drivetrain coverage is to 70k miles. Wished they just slap a new trans in there... 😂

PS... I didn't check for any loose bolts in the area but I know at this point it's futile. Regardless... its gotta come out.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -