• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Air ride suspension.. Opinions needed!

Started by bigmoneycloser, March 27, 2014, 08:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmoneycloser

Ok
So this has come to topic again for me.
Since the big brake kit won't allow me to run my spare tire Ever....

We could mount a 5 gallon tank and two compressors in the well and after deadening the compressor sound won't be that bad.. Since it only runs 60 seconds at a time and only when needed..

I know about the flex running air.
Was curious if anyone else has experience or opinions on it? Other than cool factor..

Good, bad, performance, comfort..
All the feedback I have gotten is that it will be better in all aspects...
Thx guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

QuickSilver

With your rims and H&R springs, the ride height of your ESport looks about perfect to me, why would you want to go lower? Isn't that the primary reason to go with an air suspension? I see cars with air parked, dumped all the way down and  sitting on the frame rails, It looks cool on a 63 Impala but an Explorer ???
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

bigmoneycloser

That's part of my question too.
The air would allow me to ride higher when I'm just cruising or want more travel and then low for more aggressive driving and then the ability to drop it to the ground..

2014 Explorer Sport 401A
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

SHOdded

bmc's looking to do a run at the track, maybe it will help to have a lowered suspension there?  Not sure how air compares to springs/coilovers.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

DJE624

I'm with Quicksilver.  I like how it sits now.

BiGMaC

OK... here's my opinion... 

You have H&R lowering springs on your ride which looks stellar at that height.  You do something beside drag racing 99.999% of the time your driving it.  If the H&R's give you the ride you want, and your not going too invest in Meth and NOS for all out performance where a little more lowering may mean a faster trap speed, I'd say spend the money on another mod......your like me,..... always working out a new mod..... so I know there's another one coming.

I  do agree the "cool factor" is there... but my son has front airs on his F150... and so is the nuisance factor every time he starts it.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Lanson

Problem right now is the need to custom-make everything on the front struts.  This will be easier with coilovers, which could be then done up with some airbags or something. 

As you know, the 2013+ setups (my Flex, your Explorer) use a different strut mounting method up front, and the aftermarket hasn't caught up yet.

FYI, the spare tire well is where my subwoofers go.  It is a very nice place if you want to utilize it. 

I just carry one of my full size wheels and tires like luggage in a bag when I go on trips.  Works well and raises the confidence factor that if we have a flat tire, we're not forced to limp for a few miles praying someone is open to fix or replace a 22" tire.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

bigmoneycloser

Yeah, the set up will be custom made for my truck but they said it's no big deal and no more expensive then a pre done set up as this is how most of their kits get started.
I'm still on the fence about it...
I really think the air will be COOL.... The management system allows for 3 presets and ability to set an auto up/down and start/shut down.. Plus individual control. Along with self leveling and control via iPhone wifi...

Airs up in seconds and tanks fill in less than 60 seconds...

Any other input welcome.. Still on the fence..

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

SwampRat

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on March 27, 2014, 02:47:21 PM
Yeah, the set up will be custom made for my truck but they said it's no big deal and no more expensive then a pre done set up as this is how most of their kits get started.
I'm still on the fence about it...
I really think the air will be COOL.... The management system allows for 3 presets and ability to set an auto up/down and start/shut down.. Plus individual control. Along with self leveling and control via iPhone wifi...

Airs up in seconds and tanks fill in less than 60 seconds...

Any other input welcome.. Still on the fence..

Half the fun of MODDING is that not everything comes off the shelf ...

CUSTOM one of's are WAY COOL ..... GO FOR IT !
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

bigmoneycloser

Lol
I really want to do it..
I'm just having an internal struggle with whether or not I will really take advantage of it.. Or even like it...
Still considering..lol

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

mjhpadi

It may be "cool" but I think you are looking at a major expense without any real benefit...how many times would you really need/want to adjust ride height, unless you are showing the system to someone? Your truck looks great now, and I'm not sure about weight, but you would be adding some weight with the air ride system.  If you think the expense is worth it, it would be neat, but I just don't see you using it enough to justify the expense, but hey, that's just me...
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

bigmoneycloser

This is also part of my "internal" battle... Lol

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

Lanson

How much are we talking about?

I've been considering this, but I'm hearing numbers into the many-thousands.  I had thought about doing this with a hideaway tank or pair of tanks, behind the bumper area.  Can't use the spare tire well in my case.

Kiwee (a Flex member) did his 09 Flex on bags, and it cost a LOT.  He first had to have custom coilovers made, and then those fronts were cut up and bags installed.  Then the phone-controlled ride height system, which is awesome.  He can lay down to the subframe I think.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

bigmoneycloser

I'm waiting on an exact number.
But should be between $4k-$5k parts labor.... And layin on the ground..
2014 Explorer Sport 401A

Lanson

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on March 27, 2014, 06:11:07 PM
I'm waiting on an exact number.
But should be between $4k-$5k parts labor.... And layin on the ground..

Ehhh, think I'll wait for coilovers.  Those will be under 1/4 of that, and may actually end up riding better.  I'd rather spread that money out on audio and such.  But by all means, rock it if you got it.