• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

battery terminal

Started by GhostlyGrenade, June 17, 2019, 07:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostlyGrenade

the negative battery terminal connection has to be cleaned for corrosion every month. does anyone else experience this?
Stock motorcraft battery. approx 44k miles.
2015 SHO Darkside paint color, 3 bar, Motorcraft SP542 plugs@0.28, MSD Coils, K&N drop in, Continental Extreme Contact tires 255/45R20, EBC Yellow pads, 170 T-Stat, Redline 5w30, updated to the 2018+ trans mount, E-30 Blend, TUNED by AJPTurbo

ZSHO

It sounds like the battery is on its way out IMO! The stock Motorcraft BXT-65-650 has an average 3 year lifeapan and might want to consider upgrading to the Motorcraft BXT-65-850 or 750 which is more of a heavy duty battery when compared!
Has the Battery saver come on the sync screen! 
The stock battery is unfortunately a weak link on this platform. Z   :(

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

GhostlyGrenade

thanks for the quick response. i was thinking maybe the battery was the cause. maybe because i have to let the car sit for weeks at a time while i am working.
i was thinking someone had an odyssey battery or something like that on here? it was red looking i think. i was curious about how that was working or maybe optima?
2015 SHO Darkside paint color, 3 bar, Motorcraft SP542 plugs@0.28, MSD Coils, K&N drop in, Continental Extreme Contact tires 255/45R20, EBC Yellow pads, 170 T-Stat, Redline 5w30, updated to the 2018+ trans mount, E-30 Blend, TUNED by AJPTurbo

SHOdded

Z has the Odyssey powering the SHO now :)  I am sure he will update soon!

It is far superior to the Optima IMHO.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

The stock MC-650 is a medium-duty rated battery at best and was later replaced under warranty less than 2 years old with an upgraded MC-850 Battery which is more of a heavy duty type battery and should of been introduced and installed from the factory IMO!

The MC-850 is probably the Best bang for your buck Battery IMHO and still was going strong after 3 years of cold winter months.

I later ran into the RED Odyssey extreme series battery which is a beast with boasting power @ twice the cost of an MC-850 & I'm hopeful I will get double the lifespan when compared to both Batterys..

It all boils down to personal preference as both Batterys are a solid alternative when compared to the stock MC-650!

I'm not quite certain if I was sold on the power aspects of the Odyssey extreme battery or just for Aesthetics Lol but overall the Odyssey is in a class of its own and couldn't be happier .  :)

SPEC'S

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,299.5910.html

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G3lWe7WY33aQxS0kf5HhhKjVJ5ld-bkZ/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z4PU77Ln0ZX3OlysvJYPC0hObZ_ar2_k/view?usp=drivesdk

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FiveLeeter918

Mine was the positive terminal that corroded like crazy until the battery finally crapped out. It was the original 2012 battery though, replaced it in December so I guess I got my money's worth...
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

GhostlyGrenade

Well I ordered a new battery as well as the updated rear trans mount. Maybe fix 2 issues on the same day.

GhostlyGrenade

i removed the battery(original motorcraft) and it was swollen on both ends and had cracking around terminals. worked great though.

replacement battery comes in tomorrow as well as the updated transmission torque mount. 130.00 for a motorcraft 65-850 and 50.00 for the trans mount.

GhostlyGrenade

i wanted to update after the install. the bigger ford max battery definitely feels better and sounds like quicker starting. it also eliminated my corrosion problem on the negative terminal. that was caused by cracking near the terminal.
i also updated the rear trans mount to the newer style and left the front mount installed. the car feels about 75% better on the 1-2 shift and probably 90% better on the 2-3 shift. i have noticed no additional NVH. i decided to go this route instead of the Southside Machine Performance mounts that everyone else is using due to warranty concerns as well as i didnt want to add any NVH and i dont really ever hit the strip. mainly just around town fun and some long trips here and there.
this was a very cheap upgrade, around $50 for the mount and maybe 30min to install.

ZSHO

Cool beans! Better than swollen nuts! Z   :D