• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Parts for sync 3 upgrade

Started by Agentlongwood, June 17, 2019, 06:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

I was thinking about doing the sync 3 upgrade, so I could rock Android Auto.  But searching online I could only find kits that were 2 thousand dollars... That sounds a bit ridiculous.  Do my search skills just suck?  Or is that about the going rate? 
(To my knowledge you need the screen, control module, connector cable, GPS antenna, and USB hub/adapter/mount)
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

ecoboostsho

Quote from: Agentlongwood on June 17, 2019, 06:29:13 PM
I was thinking about doing the sync 3 upgrade, so I could rock Android Auto.  But searching online I could only find kits that were 2 thousand dollars... That sounds a bit ridiculous.  Do my search skills just suck?  Or is that about the going rate? 
(To my knowledge you need the screen, control module, connector cable, GPS antenna, and USB hub/adapter/mount)
That is the going rate for a kit. I did mine for about $200 I think of I remember correctly but you have to get lucky and track down a wrecked 2017+ vehicle (Taurus or Explorer), get the USB hub from Ford, a generic GPS antenna and then be willing/able to program with Forscan. The last part can be tricky but I had a member on here help me or I believe you can pay someone around a $100 to program it with the appropriate as built data. Anyway it can definitely be done cheaper but of any of that isn't up your alley then the $2000 kit is always an option. If you look online search on LKQ online (I think that is what it's called). If you want one with built in Nav it is harder to find. I didn't care since O wanted to do Android auto myself...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

Agentlongwood

Awesome, Thank you.  Would a wrecked 2016 MKS also be an option?  I know they came with sync 3, and I want to say they were supposed to be upgradable to android auto... but not sure about the last bit.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

ecoboostsho

Quote from: Agentlongwood on June 17, 2019, 07:27:53 PM
Awesome, Thank you.  Would a wrecked 2016 MKS also be an option?  I know they came with sync 3, and I want to say they were supposed to be upgradable to android auto... but not sure about the last bit.
If it has sync 3 then I would think so...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

LostnEye

Yes, the Taurus and MKS got SYNC3 in 2016. You need to update the SYNC software to at least 2.2 or 2.3 IIRC.

As ecoboostsho said you should be able to do it for a few hundred by getting a used APIM(SYNC computer) and screen. The $2000 kits are all new parts ready to plug and play from a vendor. I do recommend the 4Dtech USD hub adapter as the connected changed a few times so you will most likely need at least a harness pigtail that would be spliced, the harness with keep it plug and play. Other than that it's not that hard just a pain to get the dash apart.
2013 Tuxedo Black/Mayan Grey PP, GH AO, GH IC, H&Rs, AD mounts

ZSHO

I had the pleasure performing this DIY a couple of times a few years ago when adding a new APIM & Lock-pick and the install procedure was pretty much straight-forward while advising extra precaution with the fragile plastic clip pieces..
The instrument cluster was the hardest part of this procedure and found adjusting the steering wheel (outwards) and in the Up Position to be ideal in order for removal and install..

I would do it again tomorrow! Lol.

BTW- Don't worry about all the Body and U Codes which is normal after the R&R process and simply reset it with a basic OBD Scanner or programmer! Best of luck. Z  :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|