• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 SHO Throttle Body Adjustment Screw Leaking?

Started by FiveLeeter918, June 12, 2019, 11:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiveLeeter918

Been chasing a boost leak for the last few weeks, and last night I did a positive pressure test with soapy water at 12 psi and found that the adjustment screw on top of the throttle body is leaking like crazy, hundreds of bubbles a second.

Does anyone know if you can just replace this screw or if I have to replace the entire throttle body? I ordered a BBK unit to replace it for other reasons, but it's currently 3 weeks in on an unknown backorder time frame. If I can epoxy the damn screw to get it to stop leaking temporarily I might, but if I can just replace the screw that would be great too.
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

SHOdded

Adjustment screw?  Didn't know these ETBs had one.  Kindly post a pic with the part highlighted :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FiveLeeter918

maybe its not, but whatever this screw is here.
- Lee

glock-coma

Would a leak that small actually make a difference at engine speed?
Not sure the AFR or desired boost would be affected
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

glock-coma

That is probably a positive stop so the throttle blade can't go past 90°

If you remove/replace it, it could affect the operation.
You could alway just use some non hardening Teflon sealant or Teflon tape 
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

FiveLeeter918

honestly not sure, but it's the only thing I can find and In currently seeing a 4 psi difference between TIP desired and actual and my LTFTs are at 28% currently.
- Lee

FiveLeeter918

- Lee

FiveLeeter918

it's actually leaking between. the steel housing and the brass insert. thought about epoxying the top and reclining the threads but was wanting to check if it was leaking for another reason first.
- Lee

SaveMelMac

American muscle makes a TB under their house brand SR performance, looks to be a reboxed bbk. Little bit cheaper and they have them in stock if you don't want to wait.

4sfed

I have a thought (in a long list of bad ones); that screw might have a rubber o ring on it. If you unscrew it (and THAT might be the bad idea), you might be able to replace the o ring.

I say that it might be a bad idea, because I don't know what's on the other end of that screw, or what that screw does.
2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

FiveLeeter918

So quick update, I grabbed my 10mm wrench, put it on there and crack, the "bolt" snapped in half. Turns out it was dry rotted plastic and there was a spring inside that flew up, hit the hood, and was subsequently sacrificed to the car gods.

30 wraps of electrical tape later to seal, car is still driving fine, BBK throttle body will be here Monday.

oye...
- Lee

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FiveLeeter918

So my BBK throttle body came in yesterday, haven't had a chance to install it yet but I opened it to inspect and for those curious, the piece that broke does appear to just be the throttle blade stop on the motor gears. Which has me really curious as to how fubared my throttle body was since for air to leak from there it would have to get from the throttle bore into the motor cavity first, then get bast the teflon seal on the plunger itself.

Ah well, at least we'll get it fixed tonight.
- Lee

SHOdded