• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Fuel Injectors - Anyone replaced them?

Started by ridered74, June 10, 2019, 10:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridered74

Just wondering how bad of a job it is. The place I took it to gave me what I consider an F you quote, so I'm considering taking it on myself. I haven't found much on it as far as anyone doing their own, wondering if there are any special tools required or any hidden perils.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

SHOdded

Deebeaux had done this himself some time ago and posted videos as he went along.  More timeconsuming than difficult.

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,8549.msg128704.html#msg128704
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

5ohSHO

I changed the injectors on my P.I. and it wasn't that bad of a job. I don't remember needing any special tools. Maybe used a pick set for the injector clips. I would also be sure to look into the thermostat opening in the intake manifold before pulling it off to see how much coolant is still in there. I opened the radiator drain on my car before starting but there was still enough coolant in the intake coolant ports that if I would have pulled it off then coolant would have probably went into the intake valve ports or just made a big mess. I used a hand pump to suck the coolant out. The fuel rails and injector harnesses are a bit of a tight fit to get out and back in also. I would also replace the intake manifold seals while it is out. In my opinion if you are used to turning wrenches then it shouldn't be that bad. The job took me about half a day to complete if I remember correctly.

ridered74

Think I'm gonna have to give it a shot.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

ridered74

Ended up chickening out. Found a good shop that replaced all six injectors for a grand less than what I was quoted from the first place. Picked it up today and she's running great again. It was a rough 3 weeks without it.