• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Life As SM105K

Started by SM105K, June 03, 2019, 09:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SM105K

Okay guys, I am going to start posting some of new and old stories here.  I have quite a bit of them.  I will also explained what I learned, and how I applied those to my day to day street operations. Along the way I will explain each of my cars that stand out in my head. 

This is how I got my start into the wild streets of Mexico.

I have had three Fox Bodies. An 1988 Coupe the one in this story, 1989 Convertible (Two kit car), and a 1982 Capi. Along the way I picked up a 1993 SHO (my daily and she robbed me every chance she got).  Two Thunderbird SC's (one was built and a solid 13.4 car).  Then for past 8 years I have had two Twin Turbo E85 Camaro's. 

I used to street race a lot all through So Cal.  I know and have raced with and against some of the big hitters that you have seen on Street Outlaws when they raced the Cali guys.  I have been to numerous Compton Christmas Shootouts, and have won a money race on the World Famous 135th and Main. 

I purchased my 88 coupe and prompty overheated it and blew a head gasket.  When I was in there, I put an X cam, shorties, and full exhaust.  Put a drag radial on it and went to run the world.  First race a turbo Honda beat me.  I then put a wet nitrous kit on the car.  NX said do not put anything over a 150 shot it with a stock fuel
pump.  What do they know?  LOL.  Yep 100 shot was good all day.  Went back and beat the turbo Honda.  Pilled it to 150 and she was riding.  Pilled her to 175, and boom another head gasket.  Damn it. Fixed the HG, and back it down to a 125 shot. 

I was holding my own against the world....until I raced a older guy in a El Camino with a "396" in it.  I had taken my Mustang to the track and it went 12.80 and left pretty hard on the street.  I locked in a race with this guy for a couple of hundred dollars and he beat me by about half a car.  This is where the story gets good.  The guy in the El Camino says, that was close and you were pulling me on the big end want to run double or nothing?  I though about it, and before I opened my mouth another older gentlemen grabbed me and said no he doesn't.  Little did I know the El Camino had a 496 with two kits of nitrous that made over 800hp to the tire. It was a bottom 10 second car on a small drag radial on one kit.  He was just playing with me on motor.   

The guy that pulled me out of the double or nothing race ended up telling me the rules to street racing and has been a good friend of mine for over 17 years now. He is the guy that I would purchase my Convertible from.  Here are the rules that were passed to me.  1. Be weary about racing anyone that is 10 years older then you esp if they ask for the race.  Most of the time they have been there and done that and make more money. 2. If you lose a close race and you know there isn't much room for improvement, never re-race for double or nothing.  Most likely it is a trap and they are sandbagging you. 3. Never bet money you are not comfortable losing.  That's it.  Those rules have helped me win a lot of money over the years and saved me a bunch of money over the years.

I left a large car show here in AZ in the SHO and new ST with a loud blow off valve started messing with me.  It was a car full of kids, and the driver was looking to show off.  I rolled down my window at about a 20 mph roll and to told him, "no RS no care".  He laughed and said come on, and I told him to just "go".  I let him get out about five cars on me and reeled him quickly, and then yanked him.  The next stop light, he was like WTF?  I said, "it's just a Taurus, and to pull into the next parking lot". He showed me his ST, I showed him the SHO, and that I actually had a ST as my daily.  He just got quiet as his friends laughed.  I told him about the story with the Elco and then passed along the rules. They were pretty cool kids, and actually asked a lot of good questions.

I try to act like my friend and pass that knowledge along to the younger gearheads.  Riding high and mighty in a new ST with your buddies is great, I remember those days.  However, getting your s*** pushed in by my family car is something your friends will never let you forget about it.  I still catch crap from my friend about the Elco 17 years later.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SM105K

First up is my 1989 GT Convertible.  I purchased it off the gentleman who taught me the rules of the street.  The car actually won Fast Ford Street couple of years in a row. Had a 408, PT 76, and a Powerglide.  Car went 9.80 at 138 ish. Motor got hurt, and the car sat in the side yard for a year.  He was building a 1970 240 Z with a ZZ383 and a build 700r4.  It was the perfect street car.  Light, good power, and the IRS the car hooked really well.  We made alot of money with the car in a 4 year period. One day I was screwing around and said, let me buy it (The Convertible Roller).  He agreed.

The car had 12 point cage, weld in sub frame connectors, battle boxes, full adjustable 4 link, lakewood 50/50 drag shocks, anti roll bar, k member, full adjustable QA1 coilvers, caster and cambers plates, battery relocation kit, and flaming river manual rack.  It weighed 3800lbs with me in it.  After the drive train swap, I blew up the stock 5 speed, and put in a Turbo Coupe 5 speed with a Centerforce Cluth.  1st and 2nd gear were short, 3rd gear was long.  Car had 3.73's in the 8.8 rear end.   On the motor it made 186 hp and ran 15.00s at 86 mph all day with a 1.90 sixty.  On a 275 drag radial if you didn't leave at 5k it would bog. Timing was down for the nitrous, X cam, everything controlled by an Anderson PMS. In final form the car had two kits and they were run manually controlled by me.  One on the shifter, and one on the steering wheel.   

On the first kit (200 direct port fogger) it made 380ish hp and usually ran a 12.70 to 12.80 at 108 mph depending on the air.  I would cut a low 1.80 sixty.  I would use the direct port first because it was less violent then the Shark nozzle fogger. Drop the clutch grab the direct port fogger ASAP.

Next came the Shark Nozzle.  Stand alone fuel system, race fuel, ect. It was pilled at (225 most the time) and right when I would grab second, I would grab that fogger. Since I couldn't pill the direct port any bigger at the time (fuel restriction) and the fogger was too violent for first gear, my sixty foot on both kits was usually a mid 1.70 (my SHO has gone 1.77 to sixty lol).  With both kits, the car made 550 ish hp and would nip into the 10.70's and 10.80's at right around 126 mph.  Fastest it went was a perfect pass for me. I was early on the buttons between shifts and let the rpms hit higher in the shifts (smoked the CF clutch when the second kit was put on the car and somehow the Ram Clutch held) and it went 10.59 at 124.  Then i tried to replicate it, and blew a head gasket on a missed shift... lesson learned.

The look on people's faces, one pass 15.00, next pass 10.80....lol. When the GF learned how to use the Nitrous, I had to fight her to get out of the car......
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SM105K

About a week ago, I found the absolute limit to my upgraded pads and rotors.  I came across a really clean 03/04 Cobra while lurking the streets.  I made sure that he saw my plate, and maybe that would entice him.  This new plate has a knack for it.  We got stuck in traffic and could not get next to each other.  At a street light I was behind him, light turned green and he got on it enough for me to be able to change lanes and get next to him. 

Right as I go to change lanes, and new WRX comes out of not where, jacks my lane, and starts going.  This instantly got my attention, and then the mission became clear. This WRX must die.  I will track him and down and punish him.  As I started my pursuit he was good four cars on me.  Not only did I track him down, I passed him well north of 140 mph.  He got the message, because at the next light he turned left and high tailed it to where ever he was going.

After I passed him, I had to wrestle the SHO to bring her down from speeds I should have never been at.  The brakes went straight into fade, the chassis had become unsettled after a little shimmy of a turn, and the next intersection was coming rapidly, however the light was green.  I was safe, but I could literally see a trail of brake dust trailing the SHO and I could smell smoked brakes.  I had to cruise on the freeway a good 5 miles before the brakes became acceptable again.

Lesson learned:

I let my ego get the best of me, but it also made me realize, that when the SHO gets DPs, Turbos, and Upgraded HPFP, the brakes that are on the car now will not be adequate.  I am looking at some racing pads that Shodded suggested.  At $300 for just the front pads, they seem worth it.     

SM105K

This past weekend I was accosted by another SHO. While leaving a very large car show on Saturday, he rolled up to me and start doing the blip the throttle game. We came to a light, I looked at him and said, "Let me guess, you just got that thing huh?" Younger guy probably 25, he said "Yeah and it is fast!"  I said okay, run them at the light.  I turned advance trac off, and threw her in sport. I watched the other light, and once they turned yellow, I got into my brake stand.  Light turned green and I left at 3 psi right as soon as I saw him leave.  The ole Bull just barked and got after it.  I yanked him so hard....I let out at 60 mph.  He came up next to me and was like, "WTF is done to that thing."  I replied, "It's stock, I just have a driver mod".  He looked so confused.  I rolled up my windows, turned my radio up and continued on my way home.  Silly people.  I am sure I will see him again.

The car show I go to is very large, and has been going on for like 25 years.  Everything from Lambos to Rat Rods show up to this show.  I go, drive down the mustang isle, park, talk smack to the Pony boys, and walk into the Mongolian Grill, eat dinner, walk around, keep talking smack to the Pony boys, then go home.  Usually leaving I catch someone, that gets checked lol.   

SM105K

Also the Focus ST got some action by a Fiesta ST, and sadly my ST got walked by the Fiesta ST twice yesterday.  At a street light a red FiST came next to me and gave me the BOV business end. It had black limo tint windows, upgraded BOV and exhaust from what I could hear.  Like and idiot I left traction on.  Light turned green, I spun really bad in first gear and when I short shifted second (FiST was already two cars out on me) traction control killed the power and I got freight trained.  I laughed so hard, and said to myself, "yep that just happened."

Got to the next light, and the window to the FiST was down. Very petite blonde girl with these stunning blues is staring at me.  I am in utter shock, and instantly smitten.  First thing out of her mouth was, "You left the traction control on huh?".  With much embarrassment and ego checked I said, "Yep, like an idiot".  She starts laughing, and said well turn it off and give it another go.  I said okay.  Couple lights down with traction control off, she proceeded to leave me AGAIN.  This time, I short shifted second and it spun, and I didn't hook it until third.  She was out on me by four to five cars now.  I ran the top of third and only got one or two cars back, but she had me dead to rights.

Next light we exchanged car info. He has as a catback, short shifter, tune, booma BOV, drag radials, and now my heart. I asked if she goes to the PAV's on Saturday, and she said yes.  I told her, I will see you Saturday, and I will bring my ST's big brother the SHO...lol.  My ST is just tuned, boomba BOV, and right after this race, I got home and installed my new short shifter that had just arrived.

SHOdded

Looks like your world is about to get "all shook up" :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SM105K

Quote from: SHOdded on June 03, 2019, 11:54:28 AM
Looks like your world is about to get "all shook up" :D

Manu,

It was definitely a very pleasant surprise, and I had alot of fun taking the L.  From what I can see, she is pretty young....maybe too young to be interested in an "older" guy like me.

SHOdded

Seems like there is foundation.  All in the angle of approach :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SM105K

Quote from: SHOdded on June 03, 2019, 12:11:06 PM
Seems like there is foundation.  All in the angle of approach :)

You never know until you fail!  Lol.

gwrabbit

It's nice that you post these stories.

I'm super green in terms of owning a SHO, let alone a turbocharged car. I'm one of those people that tries to learn as much as I can when a subject peaks my interest. It's like every day I'm discovering something new or learning something new.

SM105K

Quote from: gwrabbit on June 03, 2019, 01:22:11 PM

I'm super green in terms of owning a SHO, let alone a turbocharged car. I'm one of those people that tries to learn as much as I can when a subject peaks my interest. It's like every day I'm discovering something new or learning something new.

I have twenty years of stories.  Everything from racing street bikes to SUV's.  The funny thing is, everyone usually has the same type of story.  I will post about my 1989 Ford Thunderbird Super Couple tomorrow.  That car was really fun. 

shoNoff

Quote from: SM105K on June 03, 2019, 02:39:01 PM

I have twenty years of stories.  Everything from racing street bikes to SUV's.  The funny thing is, everyone usually has the same type of story.  I will post about my 1989 Ford Thunderbird Super Couple tomorrow.  That car was really fun.

You and I could trade street racing stories for days. I used to do motorcycles too. That is until I ended up almost through the windshield of a XJ-8
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

SM105K

Quote from: shoNoff on June 03, 2019, 04:46:46 PM

You and I could trade street racing stories for days. I used to do motorcycles too. That is until I ended up almost through the windshield of a XJ-8

Yeah that would have been really crappy.  I was wrecked by a car on Ortega Highway in So Cal, and that made me rethink my life with motorcycles.  Yet I have another RC51 sitting in my garage begging to be put back together. I must be stupid.

shoNoff

Quote from: SM105K on June 03, 2019, 05:00:54 PM
Quote from: shoNoff on June 03, 2019, 04:46:46 PM

Yeah that would have been really crappy.  I was wrecked by a car on Ortega Highway in So Cal, and that made me rethink my life with motorcycles.  Yet I have another RC51 sitting in my garage begging to be put back together. I must be stupid.

Hahaha I love the rc51 nothing beats a vtwin jap bike. I was just riding along on my way to work 4 years ago on my bday might I add. I was about 3/4 mile from my job. The guy in the jag turned directly in front of me. I had no time to do anything but hit the fender and windshield. Thank god I wear a helmet. Best part was I landed in the parking lot of my biggest competitor lol. That was my last bike which was a 2014 cbr600rr. I'd love to get another if I do it will be a Harley or victory. Some sort of cruiser. I need to settle down here kids are on the way lol
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

802SHO

Love the stories!  This is my favorite thread for sure!  I saw how long they were and didn't want to skim them, I just sat down and read them all....now I'm wanting MORE
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20