• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

P0299, No CEL

Started by LSOR, June 02, 2019, 11:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LSOR

Hey guys, I recently was on a road trip with my 2014 flex and about 500 miles into it I stepped on the gas and the engine Rebel up but didn't accelerate like normal. I kinda thought maybe I got bad gas or something and continued on.

Well upon further investigation I don't believe my turbos are spoiling, I do not have a CEL on, but when I check the codes with my SCT X4 I have a P0299. No smoke has blown out the exhaust. It drove fine before the trip also. Once trouble shooting started I watched boost in my tuner, it maxed out at 9 psi, and the waste gate will fluctuate sometimes, then just stay at 0.00.

I replaced the BOV's thinking maybe they were bad, and the rear one had oil on it. So possibly a rear turbo? I just need some help on how to further diagnose.

2014 flex, 80,000 miles
2014 Ford Flex, H&R springs, AFE Intake, MSD coils, AJP Turbo E30 tune, Unleashed E30/91 tunes.

Dyno Jet 355whp/415 ft lbs tq

SHOdded

Needs a new turbo. The wastegate actuator (internal to the turbo) is likely broken.  Unfortunately, the code does not tell you which turbo.

Based on the oil on the rear BOV though, I concur, rear turbo is a likely candidate.  Pull intake hoses off both turbos, check for pooling oil.  That will be the proof you need.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

LSOR

Sounds good, I'll do that tomorrow. So if the wastegate actuator is broke. Would that mean replace the entire turbo? Or possible just the turbo cartridge?
2014 Ford Flex, H&R springs, AFE Intake, MSD coils, AJP Turbo E30 tune, Unleashed E30/91 tunes.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

LSOR

I got the rear turbo out, but it doesn't look too bad . Pulled the intake hose off the front turbo and there's oil in it, I'm guessing they are both possibly bad.

SHOdded

Rear does look good, save for some carboning.  Oil pooling at the turbo is usually from weak/blown seals, replacement is warranted in this case.

LSOR

This hasn't been the most fun project, and my car is still down!!
After pulling the rear turbo and it surprisingly looking pretty good (minus a little oil in the intake tube) I looked further into the front turbo. There was a lot of oil inside of it, and also the wastegate was missing the c clip and the rod that opens and shuts wasn't even connected!!

I ordered a new turbo for the front and just got it last night. I have it installed but when installing the oil feed line back into the engine the line snapped. So now I'm waiting on that.

LSOR

New turbos installed and up and running!!

This was actually a lot more straight forward then I thought it would be. Next time it will be much easier to do!

SHOdded

jman

Please educate me.
I've read multiple threads about draining the CAC so I believe it is normal to find some oil every now an then in it. If it is ok to find some oil there, it should also be ok to find some oil in the lines/pipes coming from the turbos. So, why would it be bad if @LSOR had found oil there? How much is too much?
When I bought my SHO it had the "vent to atmosphere" mod done to it which I reversed. There was some oil in the engine areas where the vented air was hitting. Turbos were replaced by the PO so I assumed that amount of oil was normal.

From what I've read, it appears that your only issue was a missing c-clip and replacing it would have fixed it. Why did you replaced the turbo?

Thanks for sharing, I love this kind of threads.

2010 - Unleashed Tune - Corsa Exhaust - 275/40-R20 - H&R Springs

SHOdded

It is NOT normal to find pooling oil in the intake tract because
A) oil vapors should only be coming from the pcv system
B) vapors should remain suspended in airflow UNTIL
C) they hit the intercooler, where the air cools and vapors drop out of suspension.

So any pooling is usually from either too much oil vaporization  or from turbo seal leaks.  Oil at intersections of hot and cold air is usually pcv related.