• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Lessons Learned & Memories Earned

Started by shoNoff, May 28, 2019, 04:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SM105K

Nice Shodded!  Good work.  I will go back in my messages with Andrew and post how I got my start in the Street Light to Street Light Grand Prix.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

jims2015

I pre-date most of you guys. In the late 70's nitrous and turbos were virtually uncommon and by 1980 it was rare to find a showroom car that could break into the 13's. I had a C3 1976 vette. I built a 12.5 to one 406 small block along with a th400. I got one of the first nitrous systems around my part of the country. Car looked totally stock, right down to the quiet mufflers. I plumbed my own port nitrous and became king of the streets. Drag strip was for testing only clicking off 12.1's on street tires. Car Craft magazine got a hold of me and ended up featuring the car in the April 1983 issue. Following that, it was in several other Peterson Pub mags over the next couple of years. Unfortunately the publicity ruined my street income but no regrets on the memories.
2015 PP, Thunderstorm DP & CAI. AlkyControl, Livernois dyno tune

2019 Corvette C7 Z51 A8 No mods

SM105K

Quote from: jims2015 on May 30, 2019, 11:20:24 AM
I pre-date most of you guys. In the late 70's nitrous and turbos were virtually uncommon and by 1980 it was rare to find a showroom car that could break into the 13's. I had a C3 1976 vette. I built a 12.5 to one 406 small block along with a th400. I got one of the first nitrous systems around my part of the country. Car looked totally stock, right down to the quiet mufflers. I plumbed my own port nitrous and became king of the streets. Drag strip was for testing only clicking off 12.1's on street tires. Car Craft magazine got a hold of me and ended up featuring the car in the April 1983 issue. Following that, it was in several other Peterson Pub mags over the next couple of years. Unfortunately the publicity ruined my street income but no regrets on the memories.

I love stories like this.  It is gentlemen like you that helped and paved the way for guys like me.  I just hope the aftermarket and manufacturers keep doing what they are doing, and the GOVT keeps their hands and noses out of the HP wars.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SM105K

This is how I got my start into the wild streets of Mexico.

I have had three Fox Bodies. An 1988 Coupe the one in this story, 1989 Convertible (Two kit car), and a 1982 Capi. Along the way I picked up a 1993 SHO (my daily and she robbed me every chance she got).  Two Thunderbird SC's (one was built and a solid 13.4 car).  Then for past 8 years I have had two Twin Turbo E85 Camaro's. 

I used to street race a lot all through So Cal.  I know and have raced with and against some of the big hitters that you have seen on Street Outlaws when they raced the Cali guys.  I have been to numerous Compton Christmas Shootouts, and have won a money race on the World Famous 135th and Main. 

I purchased my 88 coupe and prompty overheated it and blew a head gasket.  When I was in there, I put an X cam, shorties, and full exhaust.  Put a drag radial on it and went to run the world.  First race a turbo Honda beat me.  I then put a wet nitrous kit on the car.  NX said do not put anything over a 150 shot it with a stock fuel
pump.  What do they know?  LOL.  Yep 100 shot was good all day.  Went back and beat the turbo Honda.  Pilled it to 150 and she was riding.  Pilled her to 175, and boom another head gasket.  Damn it. Fixed the HG, and back it down to a 125 shot. 

I was holding my own against the world....until I raced a older guy in a El Camino with a "396" in it.  I had taken my Mustang to the track and it went 12.80 and left pretty hard on the street.  I locked in a race with this guy for a couple of hundred dollars and he beat me by about half a car.  This is where the story gets good.  The guy in the El Camino says, that was close and you were pulling me on the big end want to run double or nothing?  I though about it, and before I opened my mouth another older gentlemen grabbed me and said no he doesn't.  Little did I know the El Camino had a 496 with two kits of nitrous that made over 800hp to the tire. It was a bottom 10 second car on a small drag radial on one kit.  He was just playing with me on motor.   

The guy that pulled me out of the double or nothing race ended up telling me the rules to street racing and has been a good friend of mine for over 17 years now. He is the guy that I would purchase my Convertible from.  Here are the rules that were passed to me.  1. Be weary about racing anyone that is 10 years older then you esp if they ask for the race.  Most of the time they have been there and done that and make more money. 2. If you lose a close race and you know there isn't much room for improvement, never re-race for double or nothing.  Most likely it is a trap and they are sandbagging you. 3. Never bet money you are not comfortable losing.  That's it.  Those rules have helped me win a lot of money over the years and saved me a bunch of money over the years.

I left a large car show here in AZ in the SHO and new ST with a loud blow off valve started messing with me.  It was a car full of kids, and the driver was looking to show off.  I rolled down my window at about a 20 mph roll and to told him, "no RS no care".  He laughed and said come on, and I told him to just "go".  I let him get out about five cars on me and reeled him quickly, and then yanked him.  The next stop light, he was like WTF?  I said, "it's just a Taurus, and to pull into the next parking lot". He showed me his ST, I showed him the SHO, and that I actually had a ST as my daily.  He just got quiet as his friends laughed.  I told him about the story with the Elco and then passed along the rules. They were pretty cool kids, and actually asked a lot of good questions.

I try to act like my friend and pass that knowledge along to the younger gearheads.  Riding high and mighty in a new ST with your buddies is great, I remember those days.  However, getting your s*** pushed in by my family car is something your friends will never let you forget about it.  I still catch crap from my friend about the Elco 17 years later.

avidmotion

Love the stories but too tired to type out mine...I do have a collection of misc races with various cars I had, some pretty funny if you want I can post....
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

SHOdded

Absolutely!  You can even start your own thread in this subforum if you think it will do it better justice.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!