• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

“AWD off” message on long drive

Started by jus2quik, May 28, 2019, 09:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jus2quik

Well come to find out the service advisor was lying the whole time, he never asked the manager about swapping the tires for new sho wheels and tires or the extended test drive,talked to her and she is making it happen ,dropped her back off and waiting to  hear the results. Took the car on a 4 hour drive and the message won't come on unless you are at a sustained uninterrupted 75-80mph run at around the 55-60 mile mark . Hopefully a new set of tires will solve this issue .
Basic beginner mods :GH tune,3Bar MAP,colder plugs,Drop in filter,160 Tstat

SHOdded

That would be infuriating, but cool.  Tires are easily replaced.  As long as the powertrain stays intact, all is well.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jus2quik

So basically Ford literature I've seen about the awd system not being finicky about tire size differences is a bunch of BS

SHOdded

If the tires prove out then yes it would seem.  Or maybe the not finicky is at road legal speeds?  IDK about the limitations.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jus2quik

AWD off message only comes on after 50-60 miles at 80mph so maybe over that much time and speed it's possible

TopherSho

I'm not aware of the RDU being "load sensitive". But it cleraly is a logic issue with triggering the fault at higher speeds.

Any chance the RDU was replaced at any point?
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

jus2quik

When I was under the car it did look like I saw tool marks on the RDU leading me to believe it has been out or replaced before .After I got the car from the dealership and to.d them 8 was going somewhere else the manager talked me into coming back in,she drove the car with a new set of tires and it never faulted,they put my tires back on and no message again,I insisted you had to be going 75-80 consistently for atleast 60 miles like on a road trip. After badgering They finally installed a brand new RDU , I've yet to road test it again but will this week hopefully .

SHOdded

Hopefully got this thing handled now.

802SHO

I second that and wish you smooth sailing! 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

avidmotion

keep us updated....when i had 2 summers on the front 2 all season on back i could not tell unless hard braking in a turn, the traction control light would come on until after the turn.....only issue i could notice(both summers n all season were brand new and same stock size)....
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

jus2quik

Well dealer  ship installed new RDU ,went on a trip and about 45 minutes from the house ,"AWD message" came on again. Not sure what's going on .some say maybe a wheel speed sensor,but no codes indicating. Comes on after a brisk 80 or so mph cruise.Doesnt seem to happen if I stay below 70 but I can't seem to do that for long with cars passing me on the interstate.

jus2quik

Things I haven't tried yet:
Driving under 70
Put back to stock programming
Buy new tires - maybe with launching and spinning the fronts are now smaller than the rear and after a long high speed cruise it heats something up or throws a signal off

SHOdded

Tires are untested, the AWD module is untested.  Probably easier to check the AWD module for poor connectivity, may be a burnt pin or something like that causing the whole issue.  Should be behind the right hand side cowl trim panel.

I am sure the dealer updated the RDU/ATC barcode in the AWD module also, but worth a check.

NOTE: 
DTC P1635 (Tire/Axle Out of Acceptable Range) — When the 4X4 control module detects an inappropriate size mini spare or road wheels/tires (greater than 7% difference in size across the front and rear axle or greater than 14% difference in size at one wheel on either the front or rear axle) installed, this DTC will be set.

Visual Inspection Chart

Mechanical
Active Torque Coupling (ATC) solenoid (part of rear axle)
Power Transfer Unit (PTU)
Rear Drive Unit (RDU)
Halfshafts and CV joints
Driveshaft and U-joints
Fluid leaks
Wheel/tire size and brand
Matching tire size and brand
Tire pressure
Electrical
Smart Junction Box (SJB) fuse(s):
11 (10A)
35 (10A)
4X4 control module
Wiring harness
Connector(s)
Circuitry

Pinpoint Test A: All-Wheel Drive (AWD) System Functional Test

Normal Operation
The All-Wheel Drive (AWD) system continuously monitors vehicle conditions and automatically adjusts the torque distribution between the front and rear wheels. During normal operation, most of the torque is delivered to the front wheels. If wheel slip between the front and rear wheels is detected, or if the vehicle is under heavy acceleration, the AWD system increases torque to the rear wheels to prevent or control wheel slip. When the AWD system is functioning properly, there should be no perceived speed difference between the front and rear axles when launching or driving the vehicle on any uniform surface. Traction should be similar to a part time Four-Wheel Drive (4WD) system in 4H (4X4 HIGH), but have no binding in turns.

This pinpoint test is intended to diagnose the following:
AWD system concern without on-demand or continuous DTCs

PINPOINT TEST A: AWD SYSTEM FUNCTIONAL TEST
WARNING: When directed to drive the vehicle as part of this test, drive the vehicle on a hard surface in an area without traffic to prevent a crash. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

NOTE: Carry out a thorough inspection and verification as outlined before carrying out this pinpoint test. Refer to Inspection and Verification in this section.

Test Step  Result / Action to Take 
  A1 CHECK FOR ATC SOLENOID (PART OF REAR AXLE) LOCK     
Drive the vehicle on a dry, hard surface in turns while applying the accelerator pedal.
Is driveline wind-up present in turns?
Yes
With the ignition ON, allow the ATC solenoid to cool down for at least 10 minutes and repeat the test. CHECK for wind-up again. If no wind-up is found, GO to A3 . If still present, GO to Pinpoint Test E .

No
GO to A2 .

A2 CHECK FOR VALID ACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION MONITORING THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION (AP) PID     
Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: DataLogger — 4X4 Control Module.
Monitor the AP PID while pressing the accelerator pedal.
Does the accelerator pedal position match the AP PID percent value?
Yes
GO to A3 .

No
REFER to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual to diagnose the accelerator pedal position sensor concern. 

A3 CHECK 4X4 CONTROL MODULE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR PIDs     
Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: DataLogger — 4X4 Control Module.
While driving the vehicle at 48 km/h (30 mph), monitor the following wheel speed sensor PIDs:
Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor (LF_WSPD)
Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor (LR_WSPD)
Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor (RF_WSPD)
Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor (RR_WSPD)
Are all 4 wheel speeds within 2 km/h (1.2 mph) of each other?
Yes
GO to A4 .

No
GO to Pinpoint Test F . 

A4 CHECK VEHICLE ACCELERATION IN A STRAIGHT LINE     
Carry out 3 accelerations from 0-48 km/h (0-30 mph) in a straight line (1 each with low, medium and full accelerator pedal application).
Does the vehicle pulsate or shudder while accelerating?
Yes
GO to Pinpoint Test E .

No
GO to A5 . 

A5 CHECK VEHICLE TURNING ABILITY     
Drive the vehicle in a fully locked turn, on dry pavement, at 8 km/h (5 mph).
Does the vehicle bind in the turn or resist turning?
Yes
GO to Pinpoint Test E .

No
GO to A6 .

A6 CHECK FOR TORQUE AT REAR WHEELS USING OUTPUT CONTROL COMMAND #1 (CLCH_SOL) ACTIVE COMMAND     
Using the scan tool, command CLCH_SOL to energize the ATC solenoid to a constant 100% applied.
Drive the vehicle in a fully locked turn, on dry pavement, at 8 km/h (5 mph).
Does the vehicle bind in the turn or resist turning?
Yes
END the active command. The concern cannot be duplicated at this time. RETURN the vehicle to the customer.

No
END the active command. CHECK that the driveshaft rotates when the transaxle is in gear. If yes, GO to Pinpoint Test D . If no, CHECK the Power Transfer Unit (PTU). REFER to Section 308-07B . 

ZSHO

I'm curious and highly doubt you can duplicate your issue in stock tune!!!
Hmm interesting your able to spin the front tires!!
Check for any Bent Wheels which will throw off the AWD traction system. Z

Need To Move To a State with a 50 mph speed limit!  :D

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|