• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

“AWD off” message on long drive

Started by jus2quik, May 28, 2019, 09:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jus2quik

They are now going to do a "extended" road test Friday when everybody gets back from the holidays
Basic beginner mods :GH tune,3Bar MAP,colder plugs,Drop in filter,160 Tstat

jus2quik

Was told today by the dealership that they will not perform an extended road test which would have to be 60-80 miles on the highway without stopping for the message ,they said if it didn't do it with  the standard 10 mile test drive then it wasn't something they could cover,extended road tests are not something they do .

SHOdded

Do they have black box recorders?  If not, ask them to escalate up to Ford Engineering.  If they still will not assist, call Ford directly and get the ball rolling on that end.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jus2quik

Really funny ,i asked the guy If they were going to data log on the test drive,they said no ,i basically said i have 5 pics of the "awd off" message saved on my phone ,they said a tech would have to "witness" it but they wont take it on a drive ling enough to make the message come on , bout to  get ugly i guess.I also sprayed some TriFlow on the coils because they were squeaking ,dumb butts ordered shock because they said they were leaking after i told them i sprayed lube on them accidentally.They said they could t test drive the car until the shocks came in  ,this is after i told them i sprayed the stuff on there.Im in awe currently,Already have another dealership lined up that will do the extended road test this coming up monday but i hotta get it out of this dealership first.Duval Ford in Jacksonville is who has it now .

jus2quik

Just got off the phone with the advisor,they are going to possibly swap a new set of tires off a brand new SHO and take it for the long drive and see if it's maybe something with the tires ,they said they were getting a lot of city police cars with mix matched tires that were causing issues with the RDU lately .fingers crossed

jus2quik

So it basically went from them saying they have never seen this problem to ,yeah we have been seeing the problem it with police cruisers with the awd

SHOdded

LOL, at least they respond when push comes to shove.  Swapping wheel/tire with a known "good" combo would have been the first step if that is what they were blaming.  Let's see :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

It sounds like they contacted Ford Hotline! The SHO and PI are pretty much identical in many aspects! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

jus2quik

Well they decided to tell me that I had to replace all 4 tires before they would investigate any further.....road test with new tires isn't happening ,going to go pick the car up in the morning .

SHOdded

FoMoCoSHO

This issue is actually quite common when dealing with various municipalities, many cruisers have this issue due to PDs not rotating their tires on a proper schedule.

It is also true that putting new tires on is SOP before going farther but there is a tread difference allowance and that would only be asked if you were right on the edge or over this difference, which they should have articulated to you.

Ford guideline is 5% but the Mrs has seen it cause issues starting at 3/32 and fixed with a new set.

Did they swap tires off ANY new Taurus? Much simpler solution I would insist on before ponying up any coin. I would also make them show me the alleged difference. While they are at least telling the partial truth I wouldn't put it past certain dealerships to be lazy and get an the extra tire sale.

Good luck!

SHOdded

If this is the case, the "intelligent" part in intelligent all wheel drive is total BS.

jus2quik

The service writer suggested to the manager to swap a set off a new sho but he  said "no" basically told me if I wanted it fixed to buy a new set of tires and come back.I took the car to a buddy's tire shop and we miked the tires with calipers off the car and they were exactly the same size . This is why I like fixing my own stuff and not dealing with the dealership but it is what it is ,I should have bought the car brand new I guess but saving $25k was worth it to me .
           When I got the car back from the dealership I checked the tire pressure and the fronts were 30psi and the rears were 35psi for some reason. I put them all at 35 psi and did not load  the Gearhead tune back up, my wife took the car to Tampa and the awd off message never came on after a 3 hour drive. I guess when she gets back I'll load the tune back up and see if that makes a difference . The two trips that we took with the message coming on were both with the tune loaded on the car. Don't know how that would make a difference but we will see .

SHOdded

Tire pressure was a factor in another member's AWD issues, also tuned.  Let's see what happens with the GH tune back on.  Should be traction control related TBH and not THAT sensitive, at least per design.

jus2quik

I'll report back once I get a tuned road test done