• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 Focus st (250) engine noise

Started by slim8110, May 22, 2019, 09:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim8110

Hi guys n girls

I have a strange rattle when my car is up to temperature and idling, it sounds like a noise similar to dodgy tensioner, it also sounds horrible when driving in a built up area with the window down, almost like something rubbing, it's not rotor rub or anything like that as it disappears when the clutch is pushed in. So its defo engine related, I'm hoping it might be an aux guide wheel or tensioner. 

Anyone had any similar or same problems?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SM105K

Have you checked your rear engine mount? 
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

slim8110

Quote from: SM105K on May 22, 2019, 10:09:11 AM
Thanks for the reply, I'm fairly confident it's not the engine mount causing the problem, there is no noise under acceleration, mount problems are more of a knocking sound under load, this is a small rattle you can only hear at idle engine speed.  As for the noise when driving with the windows down I'm hoping the two are linked, again I don't think the engine mount is the problem.  The noise is coming from the water pump side of the engine, I'm hoping aux tensioner or guide wheel, or something related, my biggest worry is timing chain.  It's booked in with ford, but not for another week and 2 days.

SM105K

Quote from: slim8110 on May 22, 2019, 10:51:34 AM
Thanks for the reply, I'm fairly confident it's not the engine mount causing the problem, there is no noise under acceleration, mount problems are more of a knocking sound under load, this is a small rattle you can only hear at idle engine speed.  As for the noise when driving with the windows down I'm hoping the two are linked, again I don't think the engine mount is the problem.  The noise is coming from the water pump side of the engine, I'm hoping aux tensioner or guide wheel, or something related, my biggest worry is timing chain.  It's booked in with ford, but not for another week and 2 days.

How many miles are on your ST?  I have one too that just clicked 91K.  It is has the Ford Performance Calibration/Tune on it.  I am shocked at how loud the HPFP is compared to my SHO's.  It is a loud bastard. 

You mentioned the sound goes away when you push in the clutch.  I would assume that could be clutch related.  Maybe a throw out bearing, possibly a broke clutch disc spring. If it was timing related I assume it would be constant or change frequency with RPM. 

"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

slim8110

Quote from: SM105K on May 22, 2019, 12:18:18 PM
Quote from: slim8110 on May 22, 2019, 10:51:34 AM

How many miles are on your ST?  I have one too that just clicked 91K.  It is has the Ford Performance Calibration/Tune on it.  I am shocked at how loud the HPFP is compared to my SHO's.  It is a loud bastard. 

You mentioned the sound goes away when you push in the clutch.  I would assume that could be clutch related.  Maybe a throw out bearing, possibly a broke clutch disc spring. If it was timing related I assume it would be constant or change frequency with RPM.
It has just turned 53k, mine is completely standard with regards the engine, only mod is a front splitter and that's it.  I can't rule the clutch out, but again my gut is telling me it's something else, again when the car engine is idling the rattle is more pronounced but the noise I mentioned when driving along is still there but not quite as pronounced, the rattle is louder if that makes sense, an when your driving along the rattle disappears and the horrible rubbing noise appears.

SHOdded

Rattle on an ecoboost is to be taken seriously.  Could just be a belt tensioner, but could be timing components as well.

What oil and oil filter are you running?  Owned car since new?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

You can check f150 ecoboost videos on youtube regarding rattle.  No shortage there.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

slim8110

Quote from: SHOdded on May 23, 2019, 07:19:11 AM
Rattle on an ecoboost is to be taken seriously.  Could just be a belt tensioner, but could be timing components as well.

What oil and oil filter are you running?  Owned car since new?
Yes owned from new, the car has full ford service history, all oils and filters were supplied by ford, so there should not be any problems with low grade aftermarket parts. 

The car is still under extended warranty I purchased after the manufacturer warranty ran out, but it's like trying to get blood out of a stone with ford UK.

It recently had a radiator fitted because of a leak, along with a few hoses and it took ages for them to agree to fix it under warranty, I had to pay the garage, and fight to get money back after, which I did, that was only back in March, I'm worried now they will use excuse after excuse until the warranty runs out in August. That's why I would like to know what I'm up against incase I do end up having to fix it myself.

I will check out the videos, I assume the f150 uses the same engine??

SHOdded

The F150 uses the 3.5 EB engine in earlier MYs.  So not the same engine, but the same engine family.

slim8110

Quote from: SHOdded on May 23, 2019, 10:24:05 AM
The F150 uses the 3.5 EB engine in earlier MYs.  So not the same engine, but the same engine family.
Lucky Americans!! You get all the fun toys!

I had a look earlier on YouTube, and I can see that the 2.0 ecoboost engine I have is basically a mixed bag, they all seem to have a noise issue related to something non critical, some worse than others! However, I would still like to know where the noise is coming from, and if it is a non critical issue, I would still like to try and eliminate it if possible, it sounds awful to the point of embarrassing when your driving along and sitting in traffic.

SHOdded

If you can post a video of the sound during cold start and idle, and warm start and idle, that will help narrow the field (I hope).

slim8110

Quote from: SHOdded on May 23, 2019, 10:35:43 AM
If you can post a video of the sound during cold start and idle, and warm start and idle, that will help narrow the field (I hope).
Yeah I will post one as soon as possible, what I can tell you is the rattle noise is definitely on the drivers side, (passenger side in the US) and also the noise when driving along is louder in the drivers seat with the window down than the passenger side with the window down! (Reverse that for the US)

All pointing to a problem with something connected to the aux belt.  I know I could just pop the aux belts off and if the noise is gone I will know where to start looking, but I'm afraid I will damage something and invalidate the warranty!

SHOdded

Warranty issues can be a boondoggle no matter where in the world you are, but especially overseas.  Then again, you can find dealers that are really good to their customers.  Have a rat chew through the belt for ya, then your hands are clean, sort of :D

slim8110

Quote from: SHOdded on May 23, 2019, 01:05:43 PM
Warranty issues can be a boondoggle no matter where in the world you are, but especially overseas.  Then again, you can find dealers that are really good to their customers.  Have a rat chew through the belt for ya, then your hands are clean, sort of :D
I've thought about it believe me!!!lol

But I will wait until it's looked at and see what the technician discovers and if ford will fix anything that needs fixed under warranty. 

If they say it's all normal and won't do anything I'm just going to sell the car, it's still worth quite a lot of money, and I have lots of options to have a car with the same power, and no stupid noises that frankly make the engine sound like it's about to blow up.