• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Water in passenger floor

Started by Agentlongwood, May 14, 2019, 08:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Mml665

So, today I found out that my 2011 MKS had the pond option in the front and rear passenger footwell. Imagine my delight as I'm driving hearing this sloshing sound. The water is actually underneath the carpet, we did have very bad storms the night before with driving rain. For the life of me I can't find the source of the leak. I will check the moonroof drain, and the cowl drains. Where are the door drains located/what do they look like? When compressed air is recommended I assume it means using an air compressor, not the compressed air computer type cans.

TopherSho

Any discolored parts on the headliner?  When my moonroof was slightly out of alignment it would trickles water down to the floor,  but would also discolor the roof.

https://www.facebook.com/topher.mctopherton/videos/10157214430947685/

The roof alignment was only off a tiny bit ..  but allowed water trickle in and FILL my backseat passenger floor area. 
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Mml665

Quote from: TopherSho on August 03, 2020, 12:12:33 PM
Any discolored parts on the headliner?  When my moonroof was slightly out of alignment it would trickles water down to the floor,  but would also discolor the roof.

https://www.facebook.com/topher.mctopherton/videos/10157214430947685/

The roof alignment was only off a tiny bit ..  but allowed water trickle in and FILL my backseat passenger floor area.
No water on headliner whatsoever

Mml665

So I checked the moonroof drains, I checked the door drains, I blew those out with my air compressor. When I checked the cowl drain on the passenger side it was clear, I noticed the owl itself was very loose. When I checked the drivers side I found what was in the pic, pieces of windshield, mulch and dirt.  I shop vac'd then I used my air compressor to blow it out. Then I realized the cowl was not properly seated in the channel under the windshield. So I seated it and clicked everything back into place clips and all. I vacuumed up at least 2 1/2 gallons of water in the front and rear passenger footwell. I'm thinking the cowl flooded and the hvac intake was the point of entry into the cabin. There is i plastic type shroud that is in the front passenger footwell that I suspect was the point of entry for the water.

SHO NVS

Oh man, glad you found it.  Hopefully that fixes it.  I live out in Cali, we don't know what rain is, lol.
2013 SHO PP, 3BAR MAP, Gearhead Tune, EPP CAI, 170* Thermo, JLT Catch Can, MSD Coils, H&R Springs, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, PPE Catted Downpipes, Whiteline Rear Sway Bar, SSM Motor Mounts, Gearhead Intercooler, Gearhead Upgraded Turbos, Noise Maker Delete, Boomba Racing BOV

Mml665

Quote from: SHO NVS on September 25, 2020, 02:28:51 AM
Oh man, glad you found it.  Hopefully that fixes it.  I live out in Cali, we don't know what rain is, lol.
Well the flood happened again, lol. What I have noticed is the plastic cowl is loose and moves around. I also noticed that there is a lip on the cowl that slots into a channel at the base of the windshield. The lip on the cowl is bent in a few places. I am able to set it and rubber will fit right on the windshield however it eventually slips out. I'm thinking when this happens and it rains the volume of rain increases because the seal of the rubber isn't against the windshield overwhelming the drains and then flooding over into the AC inlet.

I'm contemplating possibly running a bead of silicone in the channel and setting the the cowl piece. However, I am thinking that may not be a great idea.