• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Water in passenger floor

Started by Agentlongwood, May 14, 2019, 08:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

I'm exhausted and my search skills are failing me.  Is there a thread already on how to address the issue of water running into the passenger footwell?  Whenever it rains the floor mat on the passenger side front seat gets soaked.  If there's not an existing thread, does anyone know of a fix for this?
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

ZSHO

It sounds like the Sunroof drain is clogged IMO! There is 1 Drain hole located inside the Sunroof on the far (Passenger side) corner of the Sunroof IIRC!
Compressed air would be ideal to clean out any Dirt Buildup PRIOR To Spring and Fall similar to the A/C Drain. Z
MID-Page

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3710.15.html

https://youtu.be/vh-bI3ZdRoA

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Agentlongwood

Thanks man, I'll  check those out after work.  I tried to find the source of the leak earlier but no dice.  When the door is open it looks like you can see water dripping down the door jamb.  But it's coming from under the trim of the dash, so I can't see the source.

tarmstrong

Not sure about the Taurus but my Lincoln LS  had the hose come completely off (a known assembly problem). If you took the door trim pieces off you could pull the roof liner down enough to get your hand in and reattach it, just.  At least you can tell if it is connected.
2018 Maroon PP SHO
K&N Drop-in

Previous: 2015 Dark Side Metallic PP SHO
3 Bar, K&N, Tune

76fomoco

Did you get a new windshield lately?
Had this happen to my 14 f250 the installer didn't use enough sealant....
2013 PP AJP E30 160 TS, sp542 plugs, 3 bar, PPE catted DP's, GH IC, GH turbos, XDI-35, EPP hot and intake
Best 3-29-21  11.85 with 3000 DA
DA trap best 117.96
E30 = 492 whp, 536 wtq
E30+meth 498 whp, 539 wtq

Agentlongwood

No windshield replacement.  I'm scared that it's going to be that hose that Tarmstrong is talking about.  That would make sense with the symptoms I'm seeing... I just REALLY don't want to pull apart interior trim. I suck at it and always ends up looking crappier when I put it back together.

MeanKS

Hey Agent...,

I had/have the same issue with my MKS (2010).

Yes, unclogging the sunroof drains (and the door ones while your at it), using compressed air or a mild/diluted drain cleaner solution, will do the trick albeit temporarily.

What i found is that, if you park on any type of decline (usually on the right side here in America) curb, so say you park close to the curb to avoid the car being more in the middle of the road etc, the slight angle results in water overwhelming the sunroof drains (on the passenger side usually) much more readily than it would if the car is level (from side to side, not talking front to back).

I kept cleaning the drains over and over, but would still get a leak if it rained really hard or a really long time.  then once i started not parking so close to the curb and made sure at least half my right tires were on the street, vs being on the drain decline that most streets have to help water get to the storm drain, I no longer got any water seeping in the cabin.

try it out...
MKS-EB...

glock-coma

I just noticed I'm have the same issue after recent heavy rain.
Did you ever find a resolution?
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Agentlongwood

I didn't.  I suspect it has to do with the drainage from the sunroof.  But from what I read you need to pull some interior trim pieces apart to get to it.  I can work under the hood all day, but interior stuff scares me, lol.  Somehow I always break little plastic bits, and things always buzz when I reassemble.

glock-coma

Quote from: Agentlongwood on June 18, 2019, 06:28:28 PM
I didn't.  I suspect it has to do with the drainage from the sunroof.  But from what I read you need to pull some interior trim pieces apart to get to it.  I can work under the hood all day, but interior stuff scares me, lol.  Somehow I always break little plastic bits, and things always buzz when I reassemble.
Thx for the update.
I did some investigating and found both drains under the windshield cowl were completely blocked.
Tore everything apart and cleaned with anti microbial cleaner to prevent scum build-up. Lubed the windshield are pivot points with dry silicone spray.
Finished off with formula 303 on the cowl plastic bits.
I couldn't believe how nasty it was in there. 

The floor itself wasn't too wet I pulled up the carpet and it wasn't damp at all.
So my husky floor mats kept everything contained.
On a side not I've had this car since March 2012 with 22k miles , I had no idea there was sound deadener under the carpet. It doesn't look factory....

Passenger side drain

Drivers side

Sound deadener

Remnants left on garage floor from drains
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Agentlongwood

Whoa, that is awesome, and it also fits with a previous car I owned.  I had a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP that got water in the passenger side and it was from something where the windshield meets the hood.  Your photos are zoomed in so far that I can't actually tell where they are on the car, lol.  When you say under the windshield cowl, that's on the outside of the car right?  Is it the bit thats kind of where the windshield wipers sit?  Like the plastic cover at the very back of the engine bay when you open the hood?

*Edit* I found them.  Well the passenger side at least.  It's dark out so I just messed with some of the plastic bits, and pushed them out of the way.  Didn't remove the wiper arms.  I could get to the passenger side, but not enough wiggle room to get to the driver's side.  Yup the one I got to was 100% blocked with leaves.  Vacuumed it all out.  The crazy thing is, that rubber oval that was filled with leaves looks like it serves ZERO purpose other than to get clogged.  It's just a 2-3 inch long rubber drain that folds closed at the end.  So water can pass through it, but not solids.  I guess maybe the occasional leaf falling into the engine bay is catastrophic?  lol.  But years and years worth of leaves building up is just fine?  Anyone when I was vacuuming it, that rubber oval popped out, and all I could think of was "Why are you here?  If I threw you away it would just be the same sized hole for water to drain through."  And of course when I put all the trim back, it didn't seem to fit right... everything felt a little loose... I swear, trim is my kryptonite.

SHOdded

One more item to be OCD about :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Agentlongwood

After all that, it didn't fix the leak lol.  It looks like mine is actually coming from the sunroof or something.  We just had a heavy rain and while in the car I could see water rolling down the plastic trim that curves down to form the door sill.

SHOdded

:o  Make sure the door drains are also unclogged then.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Agentlongwood

Will do. I'll take some pictures when I get a chance.  Too much of a pain to try and just explain where it's coming from.