• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New tune

Started by V1kesfn, May 08, 2019, 12:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V1kesfn

So I got a tuner from Diablosport not knowing anything about tunes. It looked really cool with many options, I'm a tech so it had me. Put it on my 14 SHO with a CAI only. Well about a year later motor blew. I'm looking for a nice custom tune for everyday driver. I'm not trying to race or break records just add a little more umph and fun.

ZSHO

I would shoot our in House Tuner AJPTURBO a PM!
He is a good guy and takes his time explaining every detail and Parameter inside the tune.
I'm hoping he will chime in shortly.
Btw Welcome aboard! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SM105K

Quote from: ZSHO on May 08, 2019, 08:57:03 AM
I would shoot our in House Tuner AJPTURBO a PM!
He is a good guy and takes his time explaining every detail and Parameter inside the tune.
I'm hoping he will chime in shortly.
Btw Welcome aboard! Z

I am tuned by AJPTurbo.  Everything Z said is correct and his tunes are spot on.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

bpd1151

Quote from: ZSHO on May 08, 2019, 08:57:03 AM[B)I would shoot our in House Tuner AJPTURBO a PM![/B]

Curious Z, why is AJP considered to be "our in house tuner" ? ?

There are plenty of vendors here that offer great tune offerings respectively.

In no particular order, the one's that come to mind are:

Gearhead Tuning
AJPTurbo
Livernois Motorsports
Unleashed Tuning
BMR Tuning
Ortiz Tuning

Ummmm who else?

Other than the last two listed above, the top four of that list can also be reached via PM here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brucelinc

I have said this before but it applies here.   How involved do YOU want to be in the tuning process?   Do you want to obtain a base tune, datalog it, send info to the tuner, have the tune tweaked and sent back to you.....perhaps several times....or do you want a plug & play tune that requires no effort on your part?   If you choose the datalogging/tweaking route, do you want the tuner to explain exactly what he is seeing and what he is doing or do you just want to accept what he does with little or no dialog?

LMS is basically plug & play....easy peasy and very effective.    You would get a substantial power boost and a safe tune for daily driving or occasional drag strip use.     AJPturbo will want to see datalogs and tweak the tune to your specific car.   Along the way, he will explain what he sees in the logs, what he is doing and what to expect.   It is not just an excellent tune but also a learning process for you.   It will also be very potent and very safe for however your drive the car.

I have used both LMS and AJPturbo and highly recommend either one depending upon which process YOU prefer.   I have no first hand experience with the others.

SHOdded

Quote from: bpd1151 on May 08, 2019, 09:42:59 AM
Curious Z, why is AJP considered to be "our in house tuner" ? ?
We have watched AJP grow by leaps and bounds while a member of this forum, hence the term "in house" is well within context.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

Quote from: SHOdded on May 08, 2019, 10:18:47 AMWe have watched AJP grow by leaps and bounds while a member of this forum, hence the term "in house" is well within context.

Ummm..... this community has watched the top four cited in my list, to each grow as well over the years (& they're each members here as well).

Although I can agree with you to some extent that the term "in house" is well within context,  it can also be said that a staff member citing just one tuner out of many out there, and labeling that tuner with "in house" also implies preference or preference over all others.

My point to the OP is/was that there are MANY options out there and as Bruce touched upon, it's really personal choice and which rabbit hole one chooses to go down upon.

Staff should remain neutral. I recall that being a big sticking point here years ago. Just a polite reminder. No dig intended.

SM105K

Quote from: bpd1151 on May 08, 2019, 10:24:37 AM
Quote from: SHOdded on May 08, 2019, 10:18:47 AMWe have watched AJP grow by leaps and bounds while a member of this forum, hence the term "in house" is well within context.

Ummm..... this community has watched the top four cited in my list, to each grow as well over the years (& they're each members here as well).

Although I can agree with you to some extent that the term "in house" is well within context,  it can also be said that a staff member citing just one tuner out of many out there, and labeling that tuner with "in house" also implies preference or preference over all others.

My point to the OP is/was that there are MANY options out there and as Bruce touched upon, it's really personal choice and which rabbit hole one chooses to go down upon.

Staff should remain neutral. I recall that being a big sticking point here years ago. Just a polite reminder. No dig intended.

I see what you are saying.  However, is Z being bias if his car is tuned by LMS...yet says AJP is the in house tuner?  I praise Brad up and down and recommend him to everyone.  However, I will say in the same breath that Matt at Gearhead is killing it.  He is advancing the platform with parts and exceptional tunes.   

After the V11 incident and lack of explanation from LMS, I wouldn't let them tune my lawnmower. 
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SHOdded

Mike, I think Z especially mentioned AJP as he is not listed as a choice for this poll.  As far as favoritism, hardly.  Z knows how to walk the line.  Appreciate your drawing up the list tho, it is indeed very useful!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Maybe because of the posting I've done and random reviews I would do for people is where the house term came from I dunno. But yes there a handful of great tunes to use now. I don't have time it seems like to post as much for leisure like have in the past. But I do like to check the forum daily. It's like after responding to a bunch of emails daily from tuning logs or inquiries or general questions from people that are either tuned by me or wanting to be tuned by me or tuned by someone else my fingers get tired lol

But to the OP the diablosport doesn't seem to be a popular device and honestly I'm not sure which vendors even use them for custom tuning. But it's unlikely an generic canned tune would run aggressive enough to blow your motor but obviously that's hard to say without knowing how the tune was done.

That is always a problem for tuners and  making sure people know that even stock tunes can blow motors. Which is why I hate magic numbers for power for a give motor...Then if you are below the accepted magic number then the obvious reason people would want to accept is the tune being the cause.

Although I love and recommend custom tuning it's not really necessary for this car for normal mods to achieve great results. Most people are perfectly satisfied with a single file if they don't want to be bothered with datalogging. Even for my tunes. I don't require logging to be done but still recommend it and it's included so I would take advantage of it even if only to get a narrative of your cars behavior with the tune and peace of mind.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

FYI- I will not start off by quoting others and rather straight to the point!
I have always been Fair and impartial and try not to recommend a specific Tuner in mind while being judgmental with the Forums daily activities which probably explains the lessening in negative posts found in other Forum's.

As Manu kindly mentioned above I did NOT see AJPturbo mentioned on the voting Poll above and the very reason I suggested him plain and simple that's all!

To the OP Best of luck with your perspective Tuner of choice. Z 

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

GhostlyGrenade

I'd also recommend AJPTurbo. I did a ton of research on the others and was considering Gearhead but decided to go with AJPTurbo after talking with him.   Just having someone explain what they see and what changes they make is worth the price of admission. the fact that his tune not only makes great power but makes the shifting so much better as well makes the car much more enjoyable even in city driving. i have ran his 93tune and currently run his E30 tune with nothing but praise for his work.

I have also used Unleashed before and i give Torrie much respect. He is probably the fastest to respond at any hour almost. His tunes were great and got me hooked and wanting more, specifically with E30 blended tunes.

As far as Livernois, they seem knowledgeable and reputable but as soon as i saw the proprietary tuner i was out. they also seem sort of high priced on most of their items.  it reminds me of mac/apple and well....anyhow pick one and enjoy
2015 SHO Darkside paint color, 3 bar, Motorcraft SP542 plugs@0.28, MSD Coils, K&N drop in, Continental Extreme Contact tires 255/45R20, EBC Yellow pads, 170 T-Stat, Redline 5w30, updated to the 2018+ trans mount, E-30 Blend, TUNED by AJPTurbo

Macgyver

AJP or Gearhead for me.

The Auto Octane tune Gearhead has is a very interesting feature to have.

TopherSho

Quote from: Macgyver on May 08, 2019, 10:33:09 PM
AJP or Gearhead for me.

The Auto Octane tune Gearhead has is a very interesting feature to have.

Depends on the year .. 2010 has firmware 'quirks' and can be a pain for LMS to tune for.. I went with AJP/Brad because he explains everything step by step,  and has good solid advise that i tend to expensively ignore ;)  ..

He has been stellar .. :)
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

76fomoco

have had LMS and for a plug and play not an issue! awesome way to get into the tuned market for those whom don't want to log. Now that's the problem once you get a taste of what is on tap for what these car's can do you soon understand the value of a good tuner! It's all about what you want. I said I would not put meth or log and Hummm well now... I'm way to far past.
I love AJP's tunes and having a guy with soo Much experience and soo many cars tuned.
LMS has treated me well so pick anything in the top 4 if you don't want to log lms is the way to get you started but I'm sure each and do the same with the option of more without being stuck to the lms progamer. 
2013 PP AJP E30 160 TS, sp542 plugs, 3 bar, PPE catted DP's, GH IC, GH turbos, XDI-35, EPP hot and intake
Best 3-29-21  11.85 with 3000 DA
DA trap best 117.96
E30 = 492 whp, 536 wtq
E30+meth 498 whp, 539 wtq