• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

A/C issues

Started by Sbouvia, May 05, 2019, 02:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sbouvia

First does anyone know what pressure I should be expecting from the A/C system at idle and then at like 1500-2000 rpm cruising? I have an MX Bluetooth scanner and forscan. I think I have a leak somewhere that the tech at the Ford dealer near me couldn't find. I brought the car in for a no AC issue. They said they charged it up and put in dye to see if they could spot a leak. Picked car up late next day and it was still working fine, nice and icy cold. A couple of weeks later and it's just not keeping up. On the few hot days last week in DC traffic it was just blowing warm air either on A/C or Max A/C. Before I brought it to the dealer, I swear I could hear the hissing behind the dash like the evaporator was getting charged, but it just never stopped hissing until I turned off the A/C or when it seemed to have all escaped. Is it possible for the evaporator behind the dash to spring a leak? Any other ideas?
~Scott
2013 SHO non-pp. Powerstop Top Cop kit rotors and stock Akebono Ceramic Pads, 3bar map sensor, 93 octane 3bar AJPTurbo tuned, but not dialed in.
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ (Jane) w/ 2.5" lift, Banks torque tubes, monster exhaust and intake.
1991 F Super Duty 2.5 ton dump truck w/ 7.3IDI

ZSHO

I think you should see around 30-35 psi on low side and around 175 psi on the High side dependent on ambient temps! Should see around 38-46 psi when cruising.
I know ultimately its a sliding Scale relative to Humidity and on average the Evaporator runs close to 32,out the Center Vent and can go Up to 45 deg IIRC correctly!
I'm currently in the same boat and will update on any findings. Z 

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Sbouvia

Did you hear the hissing noise inside the cabin? I swear it was working fine I heard a constant hissing, even if temp was turned up to say 75 on the days where it has been 60 in the morning. The hissing only stopped when I turned off A/C and also stopped after a few weeks, which is when the A/C stopped working completely. I'm wondering if they could see a leak on inside of cabin by using the dye? So 206-241 kPa on low side, 1206 kPa on high side and 262-317 kPa when cruising. I haven't changed Forscan over and am using default units. What PID are you looking at in Forscan?
~Scott
2013 SHO non-pp. Powerstop Top Cop kit rotors and stock Akebono Ceramic Pads, 3bar map sensor, 93 octane 3bar AJPTurbo tuned, but not dialed in.
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ (Jane) w/ 2.5" lift, Banks torque tubes, monster exhaust and intake.

SHOdded

Be prepared for a bad compressor.  Has happened on occasion on the SHO.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

This was based on Recover and Recharge System machine which was to no avail! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Gjkrisa

Typical should see 200 max of 400

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

MeanKS

SHOdded may be correct, a compressor gone or going.  a leak would be preferable, but a consistent leak could put major strain on the compressor.

Sbouvia, is the hissing sound the only one you notice?  what about a droning sound coming from the car when the AC is on?

Also, in the MKS we have an air recirculation button, do you have this in the SHO?

try pressing it and see if the AC runs any different.
MKS-EB...

ZSHO

FWIW- I would try adding some R-134-Freon to see if it engages the compressor while monitoring the longevity of the A/C especially with the warmer temps and constant use! Fingers crossed! Z

R-134-a 1.81 lbs - 29 oz

Sbouvia

No droning sound in car when AC is on. I'll try the recirculating button but I do not think it makes a difference. When I hit max ac the recirc comes on and it's still warm air. I've been meaning to put a thermometer to the outlets to see what temp air is coming out. Maybe a dumb question but is there a way I can see how much R-134A is in the system? Also should I be following the GTDI and not the police version seeing as I'm not a police version TiVCT, so 26oz?
~Scott

Sbouvia

Quote from: Gjkrisa on May 06, 2019, 09:11:09 PM

I assume you mean kPa. And is that at all times?
~Scott

Gjkrisa

Quote from: Sbouvia on May 08, 2019, 09:39:05 PM
Quote from: Gjkrisa on May 06, 2019, 09:11:09 PM

I assume you mean kPa. And is that at all times?
No it's psi it's what I saw before adding more there was an issue with my guage I was using to fill it that didn't move at all but was recording Tru torque and started getting ac deactivation at 400 psi the day I filled it it was 80f then when I saw it over 400 it was 95f

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

SHOdded

From a 2009 Edge manual
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Quote from: Sbouvia on May 08, 2019, 09:37:15 PM
No droning sound in car when AC is on. I'll try the recirculating button but I do not think it makes a difference. When I hit max ac the recirc comes on and it's still warm air. I've been meaning to put a thermometer to the outlets to see what temp air is coming out. Maybe a dumb question but is there a way I can see how much R-134A is in the system? Also should I be following the GTDI and not the police version seeing as I'm not a police version TiVCT, so 26oz?
Don't add to much Freon,just wait until you hear the compressor-clutch engage cause sometimes less is more!
There are some R-134-a Kits that come with a low pressure gauge connector. Z

SHOdded

R134a is very exacting.  It is easy to have too little or too much.  Use a pro set of gauges to confirm, not the ones that come with AC in a Can products.

ZSHO

It seems a Rock made it through the Front Grille Fascia @ High Speeds and made a fairly large Hole in the Condensor!  :>:D
Charge System Install DYE with BLACK LIGHT and Found Condenser Leaking and will need To Evaluate and Replace Condensor and Recharge and Test and inspect for any other Leaks throughout the System.

I will need to remove the Front Bumper in order to gain access to the Condensor!
One Positive Note I DO NOT have the Ford collision warning which is found on the NON-PP-SHO version and might make the process a Tad bit easier AFAIK!

It might be beneficial for me to order a new UpGraded CAC (Intercooler) since it's in the same vicinity area! Maybe -perhaps!!!!   :coolgleam:
To the OP Hope your issue is far less complicated than mine. Z

Ford Part No.: BA5Z-19712-A  Condensor Assy

$203.33

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-condenser-asy_ba5z-19712-a.html?Vin=1FAHP2KT5DG183206&Filter=()&Location=air-conditioning-condenser-compressor,,19712