• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2012 MKS Timing Chain Warning light- 5W30 instead of 5W20 Poss Problem?

Started by jmack18, May 05, 2019, 08:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmack18

Last post for this past owner. Timing chain never made a sound or ran rough till on the way to last mechanic for quote on changing out chain.  Started running rough when dropped it off. Shop hooked up to their computer, now showed P0016 & P0018 codes. Diagnosed with timing chain stretched & jumped teeth. Recommend replacing engine. Best I found was used engine & install, $5,500.00. Had to borrow against Home Equity to write check to bank to get the title.  Sold beautiful 2012 Lincoln MKS for $3,000.00.
Most Unfortunate.
Good luck all you with the Ford 3.5 ecoboost engine.  After lots of research, way too many of these engines having this same problem. Ford service told me Ford knows it has a problem, fixed it for the 2017 model.
Out

SHOdded

Sorry to hear.  A timing/water pump job is about 2000$ or less at an independent.  A new engine was not needed.  What did you buy as replacement?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Gjkrisa

Quote from: SHOdded on June 14, 2019, 07:24:25 AM
Sorry to hear.  A timing/water pump job is about 2000$ or less at an independent.  A new engine was not needed.  What did you buy as replacement?
I think it's because there was evidence the timing chain skipped teeth they are recommending new engine

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder