• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2012 MKS Timing Chain Warning light- 5W30 instead of 5W20 Poss Problem?

Started by jmack18, May 05, 2019, 08:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmack18

Purchased 2012 MKS with 32,000 M in 2014. 1st couple oil changes at dealer using 5W20 Oil. Switched to Ford dealer for next oil changes & shows using 5W30. Had another Lincoln dealer use 5W30 also.  Computer program comes up to use 5W20, Owners Manuel calls for 5W20, Oil Fill cap shows 5W30. Check engine light came on & code for Timing Chain warning came up.  Lincoln dealer diagnosed as replace timing chain. Going to need to pull engine, $4,500.00.
Any thoughts if non-specified oil could be a contributing factor?
Jim M

ZSHO

Welcome aboard jmack18! Follow the oil cap Specs which is 5w-30 for your 2012MY!
What exact codes did pop up!
How many miles currently on your MKS!

Due setup an Intro @ your earliest convenience. TIA.  Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Brucelinc

I am certain that use of 5W20 or 5W30 had nothing to do with your timing chain issue.   How many miles are on the car now?

bamsho

Yeah I agree with Bruce, highly doubt that this is an oil issue.  It was probably a bad chain to start, just like motorcycle chains.  Some go quick, some last a long time. 
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

Gjkrisa

The ecoboost 3.5 started out with 5w-20 but then Ford found that it would be better for 5w-30
Timing chain is unrelated

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

bpd1151

FMC was merely trying to meet CAFE standards, which the 5W30 provided them with meeting same (i.e. better MPG).

It's not that they "found" anything out per se.

Agree with all the replies, the two are not likely related. At all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Going to be hard to pinpoint cause and effect.  Switch back to 5W20, see if it makes any difference, whether the codes (what are they?) go away or not.

But agree, in general, with the statements above.  Changing from 20 to 30 should not have caused this.  There might be a slim chance that there was varnish buildup in the system that got dislodged and is clogging the VCT solenoids, but really that should be about it.  Could be the sensors are just too sensitive, so they need to wear into the new weight oil.

the owner's manual for 2011 and 2012 EB MKS states 5W30 btw.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

avidmotion

Interesting,  I heard they changed from 20w to 30w strictly because of the turbo heat issue. Nethertheless the change should not effect you with timing chain issues. That's usually a stretch sensor to set the code. How many miles now, what symptoms are you experiencing now that your chain to so stretched out to set a code and, has the code come back. May be nothing.....
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

SHOdded

There isn't a stretch sensor per se.  The PCM does know the timing requested and the timing actually implemented, the difference being the timing error.  Once the timing error exceeds a threshhold, it sets codes.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jmack18

Quote from: ZSHO on May 05, 2019, 09:26:20 AM
Welcome aboard jmack18! Follow the oil cap Specs which is 5w-30 for your 2012MY!
What exact codes did pop up!
How many miles currently on your MKS!

Due setup an Intro @ your earliest convenience. TIA.  Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

Code: POO16. CRANKSHAFT POSITION CORRELATION BANK 1 SENSOR A, ...' ; ? -,.'- POSSIBLE TIMING ISSUE OR WORN TIMING CHAIN
Current milage:  122,500

jmack18

Quote from: Brucelinc on May 05, 2019, 10:33:52 AM
I am certain that use of 5W20 or 5W30 had nothing to do with your timing chain issue.   How many miles are on the car now?

SHOdded

I should note that sometimes replacing a cam pos sensor resolves the issue, but most of the times, it ends up being a timing chain/water pump issue.  Definitely do not ignore this one.

2013blksho

I hate to say it and probably should not NOR suggest that anyone follow what I have done but my 13 has been throwing that code for about 20k mile and it rattles like crazy on start up. I have replaced the sensors and the code went away for 6 months but came back I have cleaned the sensors and it came back in 2 months.  Only reason I haven't done anything is because it has been tuned (ajp) for 110k and has 198k on the car right now. Needs all new suspension and I mean ALL.  Turbos are probably going out as well.  Way I see it is I have bought the wrong car to commute but it still pulls hard.  When it does blow to hell it will be in the garage for 6 months getting full build.  Dealer friend of mine quoted 2500 to do motor work(chain and h2o pump) but I have a used motor now so just going to build that.  My opinion is that if it is rattles you need the work done if you don't view it the way I do.  Even though these things have issues I have to say that with almost 200k and tuned for this long I am very happy with it.  And still get 21.5 mpg!! Lol

SHOdded

The danger with letting it go is that the seal in the water pump will break down and let the coolant into the oil.  The two outside seals will leak coolant through the weepholes, as designed.  But the timing chain/WP shaft seals will leak into the oil.

Maybe changing the sensors helped in your case.  Which sensors did you change, the cam position sensors?

2013blksho

Correct cam sensors but it was simply an experiment to see because there was no noise at that time. I doubt that it is ever the sensors. I just think they do there job. I think Ford just never learned from the 5.4 days