• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2.0 control pack discontinued

Started by aprilfools, May 04, 2019, 11:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Maybe.  The transmission logic will still have to be disabled.  IDK how much effort that is.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

aprilfools

Photos of the work in progress.
Should be a fun ride once completed.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

aprilfools

Quote from: SHOdded on May 10, 2019, 12:41:26 PM
That looks WOWZA!
Thank you.
Actually been a fun build, should out perform the ole vw engine to. At least I'm hoping!
Few things to finish up them I'm ready to wire the motor in. That's why I'm hoping to find this control pack. Once I have that I can hopefully fire it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

aprilfools

Good news,
I think I may have found a solution for this. A company out of the UK (SCS Delta) builds a stand alone ECU package for the 2.0 as well. I have contacted them and have conformation they still build it and offer it. The US distributor will be contacting me to discuss. 
I'll post more info once I talk with them.

SHOdded

Hopefully, progress!  We in the viewing gallery are busy biting nails and gnashing teeth LOL.

aprilfools

This company does offer a standalone for a 2.0. And they do have a distributor in the U.S. out of California. After exchanging multiple emails they offer 2 different tunes for this engine, the second requiring upgrades to the intercooler and exhaust. I would have had to send them my harness which they re-work and ship back with there computer. Average time is 30 days.
Cost for this though is pricey at $2500.

This is where I elected to pull the plug on my swap and project (for now). I just cant see spending $2500 for the 2.0 when there is no longer support for it. $2500 will go a long way into jumping ship to a 2.3. I can use a lot of what I already have and the control pack is available for that engine. I have already ordered one just so I know I will have it before starting!! I wont make that mistake again.... I just wish I had known Ford was going to discontinue these prior to starting this swap, it's a real shame they cant continue to make them or at least support the projects that were under motion. I have to much cost into this now not to finish it up, I guess it will just take longer than I planned and cost a little more....but hopefully have a little more HP to.

I'll update here when the build moves forward.
Thanks for the help and info trying to help me find a solution around this.

Macgyver

aprilfools

Quote from: Macgyver on June 09, 2019, 09:40:14 PM
https://www.fordracingbyspeedshopdirect.com/2_0L_ECOBOOST_ENGINE_CONTROL_PACK_p/m-6017-20t.htm

I am sure you exhausted Google to death. Just in case.
Oh yeah, every website/vendor I found that said in stock I called or emailed and all said they were discontinued. I even ordered one from one that in stock just to get refunded a week later due to being out of stock. Appreciate the efforts in taking some time to look. Thanks

aprilfools

Found this while doing some searching this past weekend. Fortunately I should have a my 2.3 kit this week that I ordered already. Never fails to find something after you have moved on or purchased something else!

I knew there had to be a project build somewhere out there someone had started and lost interest in with parts for sale. Not sure if he will sell it separately or not but at least there is one out there if someone is interested.

1997 miata
https://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/d/beverly-1997-miata/6899283963.html

aprilfools

Well....
You ain't gonna believe this until I post video, but...this will be lengthy so bare with me.

As I finally decided the 2.0 was a dead duck I yanked the engine through it on the shelf and have been doing other things to the car. As mentioned in previous posts I ordered a 2.3 control pack just so I knew I would have one when the time came and i figured I had already budgeted for it anyways so might as well get it.

So a few weeks ago this arrived and like a kid on Christmas morning I ripped open the box to go through the items. Alot of unneeded items, but very important ones needed as well. I closed it back up and it sat in garage a few days.

I then decided I might as well layout a few things to see how well things were gonna run where I needed them being I am putting this in basically bass-ackwards from how it should be in a car. Surprisingly I was able to lay it out in a way that reached everything and I only needed to extend the throttle pedal wires to reach where I had previously mounted that. I wired in everything I could, mounted the fuse box and then thought to myself, man to bad I don't have 2.3 engine.

A few more days go buy and curiosity gets the better of me even though everything I read and calls to Ford performance said it wouldn't work. I grabbed the engine harness that had taken off and checked it to the 2.3 kit connections, they all fit and plugged in. Hmmm.....So I reinstalled this to the engine and I proceeded to put the engine in and plug in everything. Fingers crossed I flipped on the switch and.....nothing.

Truth be told I was a chicken sh... so I used the PCM out of the donor car, not the expensive one from the 2.3 kit I purchased. After a few hours of 3 of us testing everything we could we gave up for the night. Next evening 2 of us were back at it and again no luck, no power to things that just should have had power to them. Again, we gave up for the night. All the while in the back of mind I knew this would not work so I was at the point of giving up.

Then tonight I decided to gamble and use the PCM from the 2.3 kit, up to this point I still hadn't done that afraid I could burn it up.

So we plugged it in, flipped the switch, still no fuel pump, dam. I then for the heck of it hit the key and bingo, she rolled over! New life, it hadn't done this before! After a few hours and discovering that I had missed 3 connections on the engine harness to the engine, I flipped the switch on, and still no fuel pump. But, something else in the engine cycled and made a sound. We all looked at each other with that look of, did you hear that?? I cycled the switch and we all heard it again. Again, the engine would roll over but I still did not have my fuel pump to feed the high pressure pump running. My dad finally says, for the heck of it run a wire from the battery ground over to your ground for the harness. So I did, then I flipped the switch and the fuel pump sang us a sweet harmony of fuel racing through my lines to the engine! I set the regulator to 55 pounds then hit the start button knowing there was no way the coils or the high pressure pump would run on this 2.3 PCM. Within mere seconds the engine fired!! It caught me by surprise and I immediately hit the kill switch not knowing what it would do. My dad says what the heck did you do that for?!? I could not believe it fired. I flipped the switch hit the button and it reignited in mere seconds again. It revved slightly then settled into a nice idle and just sat there and ran.

Wtf? Thought this wouldn't run this?? Don't get me wrong I'm excited as heck it did. I'm a long way from believing it will run as I hope but this is a great start. I still have to build my exhaust and button up the engine install and I'm sure there is alot of tuning the engine will need somehow by computer to be right. But starting and idling is a great start in my book.

Now I just to need to figure out the best way to tune this thing!!
Cobb?? I see they make a specific one for 2.0 and 2.3 swaps. Suggestions definitely welcome here.

I'll post a video of it if I can and can figure out how if anyone is interested in it seeing it.

Macgyver

I thought this was going to be an April Fools Joke. Hahaha

That is good news.

aprilfools

Quote from: Macgyver on July 09, 2019, 10:38:49 PM
I thought this was going to be an April Fools Joke. Hahaha

That is good news.
Haha, no pun intended of course huh

aprilfools

Update on the build
After the intial fire, I finished up the exhaust and a few other items. The engine had a few codes throwing a cell which I was able to clear. Upon driving 3 issues came up but I have since worked through them.

I now have about 15 hours and 400 miles on the engine. Mainly trail riding around home and one week long trip to Silver Lake sand dunes. Two things to note, its fast and definitely fun!!

This is a 2.0 EcoBoost engine using a 2.3 EcoBoost control pack.

Macgyver

Thats amazing.

Hopefully reliable too.