• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2.0 control pack discontinued

Started by aprilfools, May 04, 2019, 11:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aprilfools

Newbie here, looking for some advice

I am nearing the finish line on an engine swap using a 2.0 EcoBoost engine. I was ready back in early February to purchase a control pack,  part number M-6017-20T for this particular engine. After purchasing one and not hearing from the vendor for a few weeks I called them.  They were sold out of these and informed me they were discontinued and they refunded me. I contacted a few more vendors who all said the same. I contacted Ford performance and they confirmed this. The gentleman told me Ford was considering making more for the people that had swaps started, he took my contact info and said he would let Ford know but could not guarantee anything. A few weeks after this he emailed me and asked if I was still interested as they sounded like they were going to produce them. I told him I definitely was. Fast forward to this week and I checked with him on the status of these and now it sounds like it is not going to happen.
I'm screwed,  all the hours and all the money into this project just to find out these are not available anymore. Does anyone know if there is a vendor that may have one? I see other active swaps and they mention this part number, how are they getting this kit? Is there any other "simplified" way to make one of these engines run without this kit?

Thanks in advance for any info one may have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

nickstewartroc

You might want to look into those places/people that rig up control harnesses for the Coyote, they might be able to set you up with something similar for the 2.0
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

SHOdded

EcoPowerParts (Mike) can probably hook you up with a vendor that can provide the control solution.  I would PM him or contact him directly at
https://www.ecopowerparts.com/
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

aprilfools

Thank you for the replies, I will check on both rite away. Sure hope there is an option available.

Thanks

aprilfools

Any other suggestions by chance or place to search a vendor for one? No luck so far.

Thanks

Macgyver

Silly suggestion but maybe a Junkyard ?

aprilfools

Quote from: Macgyver on May 07, 2019, 10:51:40 PM
Silly suggestion but maybe a Junkyard ?
My engine came out of a donor parts car I purchased. So the good thing is I have all the electronics and I have pulled them. The control pack kit would make all of this so much simpler. But the route I may have to go is send my harness and computer to someone if they can make it work for me. I'd have to get the throttle pedal and sensors for that out of the car to, which I could do. I just know if I use everything as is the engine wont fire. So, not a silly suggestion at all and I do have those parts I am just not sure how to make all of them work. Been doing a lot of research on that now. And Mike from the forum that was suggested above did send my info and questions to a source that may be able to help. If so, I'll post that here.
Only other option is to go 2.3 as my adapter and most everything I have would still be useable. Upside would be more HP out of that engine,  down side is finding a reasonable cost engine. I've been looking for donor cars with that engine as well. If I find one reasonable I may go that route then I would have something with more support out there for it. As it seems the 2.0 is a dead duck now.

aprilfools

Quote from: Macgyver on May 08, 2019, 10:38:43 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRICE-REDUCED-on-new-Ford-Crate-2-0L-ECOBOOST-with-control-pack/143240328491?epid=1969161885&hash=item2159c9f52b:g:lq8AAOSw~6hcZBmI
  I shot him a message on Tuesday and asked if he was willing to sell the control pack separately. Knew it was a long shot but asked anyway. Hes got a decent price on that as a package though.
Fortunately if I'm gonna buy another engine to complete my project it will be a 2.3 at this point I think.
Appreciate the help in looking for an option 

Macgyver

There has to be one laying around. I would try Facebook groups etc until you secure the new to.you setup.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

aprilfools

Quote from: Macgyver on May 09, 2019, 11:25:55 AM
There has to be one laying around. I would try Facebook groups etc until you secure the new to.you setup.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
I agree, there has to be one out there from a vendor who isn't sold out or even a swap someone started and lost interest in. I will continue to sesrch.
I also emailed the gentleman at Ford who has helping me and asked if a 2.3 kit could be used being the parts are the same although the computer program would be different. All assumptions I know, but I wonder if this could be reprogrammed to what I need. He is checking for me.
I'll update here with anything I find out.

Thanks

SHOdded

I know that within certain MY groups of varying models, the PCM can be reconfigured to work with a Fusion or an Escape or an Edge etc.  So there is crosscompatibility, you just have to find the subset that fits your criteria/needs.  FordTechMakuloco had talked about this on YT in one of his videos, and I have independent confirmation from another source that this is true.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

aprilfools

Quote from: SHOdded on May 09, 2019, 02:55:12 PM
I know that within certain MY groups of varying models, the PCM can be reconfigured to work with a Fusion or an Escape or an Edge etc.  So there is crosscompatibility, you just have to find the subset that fits your criteria/needs.  FordTechMakuloco had talked about this on YT in one of his videos, and I have independent confirmation from another source that this is true.
Good news, I was hoping this would be a possibility. Do you know of a source that has the means to do this or is doing this now? I'll checkout the videos on YouTube.

What makes these complex to tune? The DI system? Or? The computer/programming side of all of these high tech car/engines is not my area of expertise so I apologize for the simple questions.

I would assume there are aftermarket companies with tunes that improve performance out there for any variation of these engines, what is the difference between programming a factory car for more performance VS tuning for an engine swap like in this case? All the extra unneeded items that will cause a no fire situation?

Thanks

SHOdded

I am not privy to the inner workings of the PCM, sadly, a tuner can better answer your questions.  Shoot a PM or eMail to Brad/AJPturbo, maybe Matt @ Gearhead/mattr66.  Engines and transmissions are tightly integrated these days, so when you do an engine swap i.e. put in an engine that does not come with that transmission from factory, you have to know what the performance parameters of the transmission are, in addition to the engine performance parameters, to make the new combination work successfully.  Someone who is familiar with both the engine and the transmission should be able to rig something up.

circuitboardmedics.com can source and program a PCM for you, assuming it is OEM, give them a call and see what the possibilities are.  They would be loading an OEM configuration onto a PCM and sending it to you.  They are not custom programmers.  The engine would fire, but it would take a custom programmer to integrate the engine and transmission logic.

aprilfools

Appreciate the info and contact sources.

The transmission I'm mating to will have no electronics to it at all. I have put this engine into a sandrail and will be using a 1974 5 rib VW bus transmission so she's pretty old school. Hopefully this simplifies the process?