• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Turbo replacements for current ATP setup on 12 SHO

Started by DV85, December 14, 2022, 08:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DV85

Looking for some insight from others that have gone before me, finally got the upgraded converter installed to handle the 700+ HP in the SHO thanks to 802SHO's recommendation  but another issue was found during the install, the ATP turbo's that were installed a few years ago are in need of a rebuild and ATP is out of parts with no idea when they might get more and im also told they may not be supporting this turbo setup for the SHO any longer.. with that i need to find a new supplier with turbo's capable of handling what we are needing.

anyone have any insight into this? i have spoken to GH about their Gen 3 R setup but theirs are smaller than the ATP variants and im not really wanting to go backwards but will if i have no choice.

Ecoboost_xsport

I went through this very same dilemma with my ATPs.  They actually will no longer carry them for the SHO nor will they support repairs or replacements for them, so that is a dead end going forward.

I ended up going with Matt over at TurboBay Performance who was able to rebuild the ATPs for me.  They both had to be done as the specific parts for the ATPs are no longer available, so he has to very slightly make minor changes to them.  It was worth it though.

DV85

ecoboost: how much time do you have on the rebuilds?

Macgyver

bpd1151

Truly sad to read about ATP no longer supporting the platform.

Makes me want to burn their t-shirt, and ditch any supportive decals/advertising, etc.

Glad however to read though that others in the community are stepping up and making suggestions on alternatives.

SHO family for life.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

DV85

Same here, no other options that produce similar power from what i have found but extremely happy that folks on here are super supportive, Turbo's are off and will get shipped out to Turbo bay tomorrow.

Macgyver

I have a Nissan Juke. Mamba and Turbo Bay has turbos for them. They work well. If there was more room in the DP area on the SHO. You could get adapter plates made or custom DPs and mount a different turbo. On my Juke. I use a Blousche 16G. At 21 PSI conservatively tuned. She is at 325whp 280wtq Dynojet numbers. It is tuned this low because I have the OEM clutch and FWD no traction syndrome.  My Juke on a Mamba turbo which is Turbo Bay like using a 19T wheel.  I had 285whp 255wtq. The thing is. Upgrading to a Blousche. 21PSI is nothing. It stays efficient up to around 30psi so that is the route I would explore if possible but it would have been done by now if it was possible.

DV85

at this point with the SHO i just want to be able to put the power down to the wheels that it already has with the current setup, now that i have a converter that can handle the Nitrous im going to get the turbos done by turbo bay, get them installed, pray that i hit 10.99 and likely sell the car. no plans to get back into custom anything for this car going forward..

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: DV85 on December 20, 2022, 01:36:34 PM
at this point with the SHO i just want to be able to put the power down to the wheels that it already has with the current setup, now that i have a converter that can handle the Nitrous im going to get the turbos done by turbo bay, get them installed, pray that i hit 10.99 and likely sell the car. no plans to get back into custom anything for this car going forward..

Ahh, the elusive 10 sec SHO.  Good luck with that.  Many that have more mods than you have tried and there are a few SHOs in the works (to include Mike's) that are going with unconventional turbo setups and MASSIVE weight loss programs. None have hit it yet.  Andrew has a massive build right now that looks to be impressive.

Can't wait to see it.  You should get in on the group chats with the some of the big players in this space. I can't place your screen name with anyone I'm familiar with.  Always looking for new folks with fresh ideas and a motivation to bring the platform to the extreme.

Macgyver

Not that you are in any way but dont laugh at the Juke. Its got a tiny snail that is just a little bigger than the SHO's. The Juke platform has many of the same issues the SHO has as well.

I was the same as you with my Juke as far as mods. I did not want to super mod anything and then realized. The OEM Turbo housing was just too restrictive and that was the limiting issue with the power I was looking for. Just like the ATP etc. The Juke has a Mamba 21T wheel option and Turbobay has a 52mm? Wheel that is very similar to the Mamba 21T. The problem is the housing and the exhaust wheel. They are both too small and restrictive. Once you get near the power you want. Then you get to the fuel issues and need meth and Nitrous etc.

As suggested above. There is a wealth of info out there. Lean on that and see where it gets you.

DV85

Quote from: Ecoboost_xsport on December 20, 2022, 08:16:13 PM

Ahh, the elusive 10 sec SHO.  Good luck with that.  Many that have more mods than you have tried and there are a few SHOs in the works (to include Mike's) that are going with unconventional turbo setups and MASSIVE weight loss programs. None have hit it yet.  Andrew has a massive build right now that looks to be impressive.

Can't wait to see it.  You should get in on the group chats with the some of the big players in this space. I can't place your screen name with anyone I'm familiar with.  Always looking for new folks with fresh ideas and a motivation to bring the platform to the extreme.

i have been lucky enough to have some back and forth with Mike on what he has done with his which is truly  impressive, he also was kind enough to direct me on my converter issue and basically lay out a step by step on how to cut massive weight which was awesome.  after talking with him i have more than enough power to hit our goal, just need to get the weight reduction going.

regardless if we hit the goal or not, this will likely be the last go with the SHO, time for something new.

DV85

Quote from: Macgyver on December 20, 2022, 09:36:18 PM

Not that you are in any way but dont laugh at the Juke. Its got a tiny snail that is just a little bigger than the SHO's. The Juke platform has many of the same issues the SHO has as well.

I was the same as you with my Juke as far as mods. I did not want to super mod anything and then realized. The OEM Turbo housing was just too restrictive and that was the limiting issue with the power I was looking for. Just like the ATP etc. The Juke has a Mamba 21T wheel option and Turbobay has a 52mm? Wheel that is very similar to the Mamba 21T. The problem is the housing and the exhaust wheel. They are both too small and restrictive. Once you get near the power you want. Then you get to the fuel issues and need meth and Nitrous etc.

As suggested above. There is a wealth of info out there. Lean on that and see where it gets you.

no laughing here, would love to see that thing in action.  Already running nitrous and Meth on the sho, power wise it makes good numbers, last issue was blowing through the converter once the Nitrous hit, but got that sorted out ( hopefully with the new converter mods from GH).

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: DV85 on December 21, 2022, 09:58:50 AM
Quote from: Ecoboost_xsport on December 20, 2022, 08:16:13 PM

i have been lucky enough to have some back and forth with Mike on what he has done with his which is truly  impressive, he also was kind enough to direct me on my converter issue and basically lay out a step by step on how to cut massive weight which was awesome.  after talking with him i have more than enough power to hit our goal, just need to get the weight reduction going.

regardless if we hit the goal or not, this will likely be the last go with the SHO, time for something new.

No disrespect to Mike, but he hasn't been relevant for quite some time, nor is he very knowledgeable on what it's taking to take the platform its limits.  There are number of folks who have surpassed him by quite a bit.  You MAY have the power you need, but there are quite a few other aspects you'll need to address to get into the 10s.  It might be beneficial to talk to some of the folks who have been leading the charge on this more recently.

Hey, it's up to you.  Just know that there are quite a few others out there who have gone down that path you are on and you are more than welcome to tap into that wealth of knowledge...

I'm excited to see who the first SHO in the 10s will be...the race is on to get there.