• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Concerned about aggressive fitment: calling all wheel geeks!

Started by SHONuf, April 23, 2019, 01:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHONuf

Hey all!

I came a cross a set of wheels that I'm extremely interested in, but even after all the number crunching I'm still not sure if I'll have any difficulties with them rubbing mainly due to the fact that these have significantly lower offset than our OEM 20's.  The wheel specs are as follows:

Front: 20x8.5 +25
Rear:  20x9.5 +25

I planned on running the standard 245/45/20 in the fronts while the rears would getting 275/40/20.  Given those figures I'm getting the following calculations. (Disclaimer, I used 20x8 +39 for the OEM wheels as that's what I heard the OEM offset was.  That could be wrong but I think it's pretty close) The front's should poke approximately 20mm in the front while the rears would be about 33mm of poke.  I poured over BPD's thread about his the fitment of his staggered TSW's and that helped quite a bit.  Comparing his current setup to my proposed wheels, my fronts would poke about 15mm more in the front while the rears would poke about 9mm.  While that doesn't sound like much, I know that the difference a few millimeters can make in the fitment of a set of wheels and thus the drivability of it is big.

I've attached a couple pics of the a mockup generated by WillTheyFit.com.  This would be on plain old H&R's, not coil overs.  If anyone has any input or feedback as to whether or not this will work, I'd greatly appreciate it.  I'm not sure how long these wheels will be available, but I didn't want to pull the trigger on these until I've had a chance to talk to our community about it. 
MDesign CAI, Taliaferro Downpipes w/ high flow cats, Taliaferro Cat-Back w/ Borla Mufflers, LMS 4Plus-X Tune, 3-Bar MAP, EvenFlo 160° T-stat, MSD Coilpacks, SP-534 Plugs, RX Catch Can, SSM Torque Mounts, Amsoil Fluids, MRR FS05 20x9's, 275/40/20 Atturo AZ850, CCG Grill

jman

I am running 275/40 20 all around. Wheels are 9.5 with a 40 offset.
A couple of days ago I took a pic of the clearance between the strut and the wheel, there is enough but not too much (~10 mm).
Your wheel will be (9.5-8.5) 1 inch (25.4 mm) shorter than mine (12.7 mm on each side) and 15 mm (40-25 offset) further from the strut compared to mine so if my math is right, your intended setup will give you 27.7 mm (15+12.7) more clearance than mine to the strut.
Not sure about the back.

I am not a wheel geek so all my calculations could be wrong... :)

2010 - Unleashed Tune - Corsa Exhaust - 275/40-R20 - H&R Springs

SHONuf

Yeah I've seen several folks running 275/40/20's all around, and with a sufficiently high offset it doesn't present any problems from what I've seen.  Although in my case, the offset is about 15mm less than what most folks are running. +40 Offset seems to be the most common I've seen for these folks.

Essentially, the higher the offset the more inboard the wheel will move.  The impact is compounded if the wheel is increasing in width.  In my case, my wheel isn't moving inboard much at all (only about 5mm closer in the rear, and it's actually moving away from the strut in the front by ~7mm).  It's all poke in my case.
MDesign CAI, Taliaferro Downpipes w/ high flow cats, Taliaferro Cat-Back w/ Borla Mufflers, LMS 4Plus-X Tune, 3-Bar MAP, EvenFlo 160° T-stat, MSD Coilpacks, SP-534 Plugs, RX Catch Can, SSM Torque Mounts, Amsoil Fluids, MRR FS05 20x9's, 275/40/20 Atturo AZ850, CCG Grill

bpd1151

Given your stated intentions, your fronts will be fine.

The rears however.......   umm yea, not so much.

If you take off your current wheels right now (in the rears) take a look at that inner fender liner.

Pay particular attention to the 10, and the 2 o'clock position(s)..... as facing the car.

They both have protrusions that poke out, and/or closer to/towards the center of the car.

Of most concern would be the 2 o'clock position (looking at the driver's side of the car) and then the 10 o'clock position (looking at the psgr side of the car). You'll see this is where the top portion of the rear bumper cover/valance mounts by means of a screw into/through the purposely designed sheet metal for same.

You can certainly modify the inner wheel well liner, but unless you come up with a way to hang that rear valance (assuming you want to also modify that mounting point/screw) I'm afraid you'll damage the outer most portion of your rear tire's sidewalls.

Likely not what you want to hear, but just speaking out loud for 'ya. Good luck in your efforts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHONuf

BPD to the rescue again!  I hadn't even though about those little overhangs.  I'll have to look at them when I get home tonight and see if perhaps they could be modified or trimmed down. 

Theoretically, lets say those weren't present.  Would that much poke present a problem?  e.g. tire coming out of the wheel well? I'm definitely not trying to stretch the tire, roll the fender, or add excessive negative camber to fit that tire.

bpd1151

I suspect you'll be close (to rubbing) that inner fender liner up top (12 o'clock) position if you have any decent weight in trunk and/or back seat (or both) and navigate a good sized dip in the road, pothole, etc.

Seems doable in theory (if those mounting tabs for rear bumper/valance can be modified somehow.

Be sure to let the community know how it works out, or what you do (to make it work) and report your experiences thereafter.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LostnEye

There was a guy with a white one that had 20x10s I believe with a lot of poke. Cant remember his name or more details. I have been running 275s on 20x9.5 ET35 with no issues but only recently went to H&Rs. 
2013 Tuxedo Black/Mayan Grey PP, GH AO, GH IC, H&Rs, AD mounts