• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Interesting article on E85 and Ecoboost combined with regular gas

Started by EcoPowerParts, April 24, 2013, 05:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

It's funny I'm doing the opposite of this article I'm doing DI for 91 octane and PI for E85 but it follows the same scenario.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2009/04/ford-e85di-gasolinepfi-20090426.html

Makes me wonder if I was able to put a 5 to 10 gallon fuel cell in the back of the Flex filled with E85 and 91 in the regular tank.
:)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

EcoBrick Bob

Interesting article.  Am I reading it correctly that an engine needs to be modified to handle the increased internal pressures, to the level of pressures in a Diesel? 

If so, aren't the issues in the non-E85 rated EB engine that we have, the powdered rods and the cast aluminum pistons?  IE: Ringland fractures and bent rods?

A friend was over last nite. He has a CTS DI V-6.  He has been researching the new CTSV series TT V-6 and claimed that his engine and that have like 2% identical parts, and that the TT version is really beefed up.  Yet his engine has a forged crank and forged rods.

2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: EcoBrick Bob on April 25, 2013, 01:54:41 PM
Interesting article.  Am I reading it correctly that an engine needs to be modified to handle the increased internal pressures, to the level of pressures in a Diesel? 

If so, aren't the issues in the non-E85 rated EB engine that we have, the powdered rods and the cast aluminum pistons?  IE: Ringland fractures and bent rods?

A friend was over last nite. He has a CTS DI V-6.  He has been researching the new CTSV series TT V-6 and claimed that his engine and that have like 2% identical parts, and that the TT version is really beefed up.  Yet his engine has a forged crank and forged rods.
No that's not the case Bob, they just used DI for E85 on that motor instead of PI like I"m doing. I'm not aware of #85 causing any issues on stock rods/pistons, just not enough flow from stock fuel pumps and injectors. Tons of other platforms are upgrading stock fuel system and running E85 with no other changes.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

EcoBrick Bob

I see where you're coming from.

I think the article was referring to modifying the engine with higher compression and higher pressure (DI) & increased volume of fuel charge to get the most out of the E -85 energy content.  For instance, if you tune for E-85 exclusively, you get better performance and fuel economy vs Chevy Flex Fuel pickups where they have to compromise between fuel types, and assume that the owner is more likely to use E-10 regular octane vs E-85. 

I do understand the issue with low fuel pressures due to DIFP limitations and it's effect, l but as you know, I experienced high combustion pressure issues due to my stupidity... Was relating this to our engines if one could get the amount of fuel that the article said was desirable.  From that standpoint I thought the article was a bit confusing and didn't explain why as thoroughly as I would have liked, especially when they were comparing it to Diesel engine specs.

My only concern for you is that you will be adding quite a bit of new fuel and NO.  Just not sure when you will reach the maximum safe amount that the current rods and pistons can handle. What I did was add a great deal of a product that was less combustible at a low RPM, without realizing what I was doing. :bangin: :bangin:
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.