• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tuning NA 3.5

Started by JagerBomb, April 21, 2019, 12:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JagerBomb

My work vehicle is a 2018 NA 3.5l explorer and its weak. I have a SCT tuner not being used and a MyCal tuner from Livernois in my closet not being used. Will a canned tuned from the SCT give me any reasonable change or would I have to go a custom route? I just want the truck to accelerate and have a little more on the top end. I hate to say it but the NA is really under powered for the size of the truck.
2013 SHO PP - LMS V8 93 Tune, 3 Bar, LMS Catted DP's - SOLD

2015 Explorer Sport - In need of mods.

2010 Jeep SRT8 with a ProCharger and lots of boost!

SHOdded

Canned tunes are generally lackluster.  Might be better off getting a pedalmax type adjustment to make throttle response better, but a custom tune will stand head and shoulders above.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Brucelinc

Livernois has a tune for the naturally aspirated 3.5.   I wouldn't expect a dramatic power increase since there are no turbos to work with but I suspect it would be noticeable.   At the very least, it likely improves transmission behavior and throttle response.  Tweaking the timing and AF/R should yield results.    I assume your current MyCal would work on a 2018 and that their new device wouldn't be necessary.   They could certainly answer that for you.

JagerBomb

Thanks guys. I will give it a try. Its just so depressing to drive my work car. Then on my days off I get to drive my xsport and I am like oh thats what its like to have a little power. My xsport is still stock right now.

SHOdded

Unleashed tunes the 3.5 NA as well.  You can give Torrie a holler.  A lot of Edge 3.5 owners have his tunes and are quite pleased with them.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

JagerBomb

I went dumpster diving in my car parts bin in the garage. I keep everything and I found part for projects that never happened or changed along the way. So I have a MyCal for LMS and a SCT tuner. I will use one for my work NA 3.5 and one for my personal TT 3.5. Lucky me.

Anyone do pedalmax? What can I really expect out of that? Is it worth it?

SHOdded

scattered discussion around the forum re: the pedalmax.  Generally not in favor of, rather get a good tune.

JagerBomb

Quote from: SHOdded on July 28, 2019, 05:18:50 PM
scattered discussion around the forum re: the pedalmax.  Generally not in favor of, rather get a good tune.

I did the search and came to the same conclusion really quick. The tune and great tuner will always bee better!

SHOdded

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: JagerBomb on April 21, 2019, 12:52:57 PM
My work vehicle is a 2018 NA 3.5l explorer and its weak. I have a SCT tuner not being used and a MyCal tuner from Livernois in my closet not being used. Will a canned tuned from the SCT give me any reasonable change or would I have to go a custom route? I just want the truck to accelerate and have a little more on the top end. I hate to say it but the NA is really under powered for the size of the truck.

We do offer custom tuning for the N/A Explorers using the Mycal tuning devices.  If your Mycal is not in use on another vehicle currently we could get an RMA number going to have it shipped back to us for transfer or upgrade as well.  There is also a Mycal touch promotion currently where you could ship back an earlier Mycal tuner and get up to $200 off the regular price of the new touch screen version also.

The N/A 3.5L models have picked up over 30 wheel HP and 44 ft lbs tq on 93 octane fuel.  Here's a video of the 3.5L n/a tune in action here on an earlier model year vehicle just to give you an idea of what they can do with a 93 octane tune.  https://youtu.be/HSMOuCSP1zU

We do also offer the LME throttle enhancer which is similar to the other one mentioned.  These only help with throttle response and allow you to adjust the sensitivity in real time with the gain adjustment knob which ours includes.  Most companies charge extra for the adjustable version.  https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP690401

Feel free to give us a call / message if you'd like to discuss these options a bit further in depth and we would be happy to help out.  313-561-5500 ext 1.

JagerBomb

@LMS
I will definitely reach out to you guys here shortly. I'm at home recovering from a broken leg so not much driving is in my future right now. However, when it's time to start driving I'll hit you guys up.

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: JagerBomb on August 01, 2019, 10:48:00 AM
@LMS
I will definitely reach out to you guys here shortly. I'm at home recovering from a broken leg so not much driving is in my future right now. However, when it's time to start driving I'll hit you guys up.

Sounds good, we're always happy to help get some more power out of your vehicles!  Ah that's rough man sorry to hear about the leg.  I've been there it's no fun.  Wish you the best of luck with recovering soon!