• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New long block, high fan run times..

Started by TopherSho, April 20, 2019, 04:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

Ok, just to check with others, It's 70 outside, What is your coolant temp avg at on long stretches with steady gas at about 65-70 mph?

Should I put in a new 170 tstat?  Does the livernois/Torrie/eccopower tstats flow more? 
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SM105K

Quote from: TopherSho on April 25, 2019, 08:52:26 PM
Ok, just to check with others, It's 70 outside, What is your coolant temp avg at on long stretches with steady gas at about 65-70 mph?

Should I put in a new 170 tstat?  Does the livernois/Torrie/eccopower tstats flow more?

Stock T-stat runs at 186 ish for me in 70 degree weather.  These cars are designed to run at a certain temp.  Ford designed them that way.  IMO there is zero need in any clime or place for a "colder" T-stat other then the factory t-stat.  It is a marketing gimmick...period.

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/04/low-temp-thermostats-whats-the-advantage/

"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

TopherSho

#$%@ me,  i thought so.  im still running 215-230 degrees f ... where is this measured at?  maybe the sending unit/sensor is bad...

Hey AJP?  does your tune run the fans on a more aggressive curve ?   
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

SHOdded

Yuk!  Still a problem that has to be resolved by the dealer.  But wondering if there any air bubbles in the system, which you can try "burping" it for.  Also a thermal image of the radiator would reveal any hot/coldspots indicating radiator blockage.  Maybe incorrect spark plugs have been installed?  Might want to pull and check them (ALL of them).
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FLEXXX

Quote from: TopherSho on April 26, 2019, 01:01:26 PM
#$%@ me,  i thought so.  im still running 215-230 degrees f ... where is this measured at?  maybe the sending unit/sensor is bad...

sensor is on the back of the head above the trans, I have a flex not SHO so air flow to radiator is different (worse) and on a 75 degree day doing pulls for logs I was at 182degrees. I have a 160tstat.

my fans shut off as soon as car is turned off?
Motor, turbo's, exhaust, intake, nitrous, W/M blah blah blah

TopherSho

i will take a look at the sensor wire/plug  sigh ...

i am also going to put my non-meth tune back on if the strategy is the same as before.  it should be fine and will run the fans on BRAD's tune.  i just need to see the temp behavior under light loads with his old fan curve JUST to make sure .. but i expect high temps still

i really hate this cars utter complete unreliability ...

SM105K

Quote from: TopherSho on April 26, 2019, 02:35:17 PM
i will take a look at the sensor wire/plug  sigh ...

i am also going to put my non-meth tune back on if the strategy is the same as before.  it should be fine and will run the fans on BRAD's tune.  i just need to see the temp behavior under light loads with his old fan curve JUST to make sure .. but i expect high temps still

i really hate this cars utter complete unreliability ...

that is so weird, except my trans failure, I have full confidence in my car to drive anywhere.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

TopherSho

So, here's a weird question, where else might the car be monitoring the temperature?.  Because right now even though it's reading high on temp the fans are behaving exactly as I remember they only spend up every now and then and only go to about 50% and then kick off...

So from observed interpretation it seems to be operating normally it's the gauge that showing me an anomaly

SM105K

Quote from: TopherSho on April 26, 2019, 02:48:27 PM
So, here's a weird question, where else might the car be monitoring the temperature?.  Because right now even though it's reading high on temp the fans are behaving exactly as I remember they only spend up every now and then and only go to about 50% and then kick off...

So from observed interpretation it seems to be operating normally it's the gauge that showing me an anomaly

What is your SCT device saying?

TopherSho

CHT DEGF : 235

I will be perfectly happy if you call me an idiot and tell me I'm reading the wrong thing

TopherSho

Quote from: TopherSho on April 26, 2019, 02:54:16 PM

I will be perfectly happy if you call me an idiot and tell me I'm reading the wrong thing

Offs.. cylinder head temp.. my sct has the wrong guages showing...

Idiot is me   derrrrp

SM105K

Quote from: TopherSho on April 26, 2019, 02:56:20 PM
Quote from: TopherSho on April 26, 2019, 02:54:16 PM

Offs.. cylinder head temp.. my sct has the wrong guages showing...

Idiot is me   derrrrp

I have a solution....

Let's blame this on "Friday".

SHOdded

what was the actual gauge you were "mis-reading"?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on April 26, 2019, 03:29:14 PM
what was the actual gauge you were "mis-reading"?

*I* had the wrong gauges on display on the handheld .. looking at the data log now.  BUT i did have a bad tstat so the 1st time that the mechanic replaced after the car gauge went up to the hot line

TopherSho

168f max temp... now that im looking at the correct guage after the almost-overheat and replacing the tstat...  happy