• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Low Oil Pressure Light at Idle Once Oil Is Warm, Goes Away With Throttle Blip

Started by SkidHash, April 20, 2019, 11:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glock-coma

Quote from: SkidHash on April 23, 2019, 10:40:59 PM
Quote from: glock-coma on April 23, 2019, 09:11:23 PM
I know with the sct x4 tuner you can adjust the idle.
You can probably find one used for around $200

Can I just pick up any sct x4 tuner? I see most of them specify a specific vehicle, but if I can pick up any tuner and have it work with my car (if it's unmarried, of course), then it looks like there are plenty for about $150!
I believe the x4 you're looking for is 7015. Double check to be sure.

You would need to have it married to your vehicle with your strategy.
That usually cost about $150 on top of the device. But there are many several tuners that can help you with the x4
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

glock-coma

I think thicker oil would actually make the prob more prevalent. The pump is now trying harder to push oil through the tiny passages.

Raising the idle is a bandaid, you need to find the root prob causing the idle to drop. That could be any number of things.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Macgyver

SkidHash

Quote from: Macgyver on April 23, 2019, 11:37:30 PM
It will at least keep the light off and that is a huge relief.

That's my mindset! I was already planning on upgrading the oil pump to one with billet gears once I started tuning, so I will eventually get the root problem fixed (if it is an oil pump). Just don't have the money at the moment to do it.

At a different Ford dealer now. The last one wouldn't even quote me a price for an oil change, they said "only thing we can do is get you a new long block. $10k", so let's see if this one can help me better.

I know that .2 PSI isn't going to damage my engine or cause excessive wear, so I'm not worried at the moment. I just want that stupid light to go away, so I'm happy to spend $300 on a tuner if it can do that. I'm going to see if the dealer can raise my idle by 100, it's worth a shot.
2013 SHO (non-pp), no mods yet

Macgyver

Quote from: SkidHash on April 24, 2019, 10:21:44 AM

That's my mindset! I was already planning on upgrading the oil pump to one with billet gears once I started tuning, so I will eventually get the root problem fixed (if it is an oil pump). Just don't have the money at the moment to do it.

At a different Ford dealer now. The last one wouldn't even quote me a price for an oil change, they said "only thing we can do is get you a new long block. $10k", so let's see if this one can help me better.

I know that .2 PSI isn't going to damage my engine or cause excessive wear, so I'm not worried at the moment. I just want that stupid light to go away, so I'm happy to spend $300 on a tuner if it can do that. I'm going to see if the dealer can raise my idle by 100, it's worth a shot.
They can. The question is will they.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

SkidHash

Quote from: Macgyver on April 24, 2019, 11:49:13 AM
Quote from: SkidHash on April 24, 2019, 10:21:44 AM

They can. The question is will they.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Took it to a different dealer because why not, $99 for a diag fee is a lot cheaper than the $10k for a new long block like the first dealer wanted. The tech there looked at it for 15 minutes and found the problem: the pigtail connector for the oil pressure sensor had some oil in it. They cut the wires, spliced new ones on, and sent me on my way (after $450 and 3 hours).

Light did not come on for a long time. I was really hopeful. City driving? No light. Idle for 20 minutes? No light.

Got on the highway to go back to the first dealer and get some of my money back, since they very clearly lied about the fix and didn't save my "old" (150 mile) oil like I asked when they put their normal 10w30 in. Pull off the highway and the light comes back on. Sigh. Call the first dealership and they say "Bring it back, we'll look at it again for free". Got my oil change money back from the first dealer, took it to the second one again. Idled it for 10 minutes, no light. Even weirder. I had ForScan up so I could show them the logged occurences of the light coming on, but we could not get it replicated. Drove it back home and no light. Just strange.

SkidHash

I can't believe I never updated this thread with the actual fix that I had, apologies! So my issue was a combination of two things: oil in the pigtail connector for the oil pressure sensor and a small vacuum leak around the turbo noisemaker thing; until I went to O'Reilly's and bought a new o ring (cost me $1, Ford dealership wanted me to replace the entire noisemaker since they couldn't just sell me an o ring apparently) the light would still come on. Got that new o ring on and the light hasn't come on since and my idle has been much smoother. Strange how small things can cause such a big headache. Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, just wanted to post the end result just in case somebody else has my exact combination of problems and wants to bang their forehead into a wall repeatedly.