• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

RDU "Chatter" while turning?

Started by StinkinLinkin13, April 19, 2019, 11:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkinLinkin13

Kinda a longshot but seeing if anyone has experienced this symptom... I noticed yesterday when making a decent relatively slow speed turn I feel a vibration / chatter coming from the rear. I also feel it during moderate to hard acceleration... It kinda feels like the RDU clutches are engaging/disengaging really quickly.... Similar to torque converter shutter but its very obviously coming from the rear end.... I have a very generic U3000 code... Scanners giving no specifics...TIA
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

SHOdded

I know a FEW members have had issues with the RDU, the first I heard of was glock-coma.  Usually a whining or grinding sound is the giveaway.  The viscous coupling/ATC portion of the RDU is sealed (I think filled with Motorcraft Mercon LV) has only been pinpointed as a problem in an Edge living in Russia IME.  And no shuddering/chattering there either.

So I would check the wiring between the AWD/4x4 module and the ATC, and see if there are codes stored in the PCM first.  Might be a wheel speed sensor or two at fault also.  You can use AWD related PIDs to see what speed each wheel is turning at.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Have you Flashed the car recently! Sometimes similar codes would suggest you Flashed a Tune to ECU,but not quite certain its relevant in your case! Warranty still active! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

glock-coma

As SHOdded mentioned I did have RDU issues. Ford misdiagnosed a pulsing vibration @50+ mph and replaced everting that turns in the rolling drivetrain minus the trans.
The RDU was replaced last and finally corrected the issue.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

StinkinLinkin13

I'm still under warranty which is good. I'm about 90% sure its the RDU clutches chattering when power is sent to the rear. I got video recorded from underneath I'll post later.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

StinkinLinkin13

***Update. So took the MKS to the dealership a few weeks ago.... They did end up replacing the RDU under warranty... Also got a new front turbo that was apparently bad (although I only mentioned feed line leak) 🤔. A new multi function switch. Plus they replaced my gutted cats... 😂😂😂.  All's well. Looks like new downpipes are in order.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!