• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Raybestos Performance Rotors and Specialty Pads

Started by r1crusher, April 15, 2019, 04:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r1crusher

Following ZSHO's recent posts upgrading his brakes I decided to pull the trigger on something similar.

I ordered a full set of Raybestos performance rotors and specialty police pads. I couldn't justify the cost of EBC/Hawk/etc. pads at $100+ for the fronts alone based on my driving needs.  I'm hoping that the police specialty pads will give me better fade resistance while keeping the initial bite of the pads in all temperatures.  The was my biggest complaint with the Power Stop pads...cold temp. bite was poor to me.  I don't race or anything like that but there are A LOT of winding twisty roads where I live and the brakes heated up and had fade too easily for my taste.

Here's the part #'s (all prices are from Rockauto)...

Front:
Rotor - 680982PER - $58.79/ea
Pad - SP1611APPH - $43.79

Rear:
Rotor - 680983PER - $38.79/ea
Pad - SP1612PPH - $33.79

Just hope the front rotors and pads are the larger 352mm (if I recall correctly) for all the '13+ SHO's as well.  I'll update when everything arrives and I start getting the stuff on the car.
'13 SHO, AJP Tune w/ 3-Bar
'17 F-250 6.7 PowerStroke
'17 XSport

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Here are the Specs on the Raybestos 680982PER Front Rotors! Best of luck and keep us updated. Z

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qlXNdY0CEUCGGLFeUdbV84U7Eac_n4L-/view?usp=drivesdk

Part Number

:680982PER

Part Description

:Disc Brake Rotor

Sub-Brand

:Specialty - Street Performance

Grade Description

:Specialty

Brake Rotor Casting Type

:Vented

Brake Rotor Diameter, Outer

:13.858 in / 352.0 mm

Brake Rotor Thickness, Discard

:30.0 mm / 1.181 in

Brake Rotor Thickness, Nominal

:1.260 in / 32.0 mm

Height, Overall

:1.850 in / 47.0 mm

Performance Level

:High Performance

Surface Finish

Plain

Packaged Weight

:28.300 lb

Wheel Bolt Circle Diameter

:4.500 in / 114.3 mm

https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/catalog-part-search.html?PartNumber=680982PER

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

r1crusher

So, here's a bit of an update on the new setup.  I received all the rotors and pads from Rock.  Rotors are nicely coated and not heavily covered in protective chemical coatings.  I started the install on the front with the drivers side.  Tore everything down and had a bit more time left on the Power Stop pads.  But then my problems started when I found a torn piston boot due to the awesome design on these boots/calipers.  Couldn't locate a simple rebuild kit immediately, several days to get one.  I moved forward with the install of the new stuff and will likely just replace the entire caliper later on.  The included hardware is hands down better then what was provided with the Power Stop kit.  Also, the front pads have a weird adhesive backing on them and they are sticky when you remove the protective film.  Kind of makes it difficult to install the caliper with the spring clips pushing the pads out and the sticky backing.

Now on to the front passenger side. But as I said my problems were just beginning.  The car had been parked for about 3 weeks until I ordered brakes.  Prior to that the wife and I both noticed a bit of an burning oil smell but not constantly.  I pull the front passenger wheel and there is oil all over the rear of the motor and sub frame.  How nice!  So I pushed on to get the rotor and pads installed.   Just like the drivers side there was a bit more life in the pads so that all told me my brake noises are in the rear.  So I don't find any boot issues on this side and I put it all together and plan for an early evening bedding process on one of our quiet back country roads.

Bedding procedure for the specialty/police pads includes doing additional stops at different speeds as well as an additional "high" speed braking maneuver from 80 mph to 20 mph several times.  I complete the bedding as outlined with a very tiny amount of pulsation...but nothing bad really.  Brakes were still a bit hot but a consequent drive the following day the brakes felt very good, consistent bite and smooth stopping with no vibrations at all at speeds or stopping.  Will need some more drive time to see how they continue to bed and cure more.

Upon my return I had a rather sizable pool of oil in my driveway so now the car is parked yet again until May 7th when I have a service appt. at the dealership.  All I can think of is an oil line issue of some kind, feed or return to the rear turbo.  I'll check the oil level and top off if needed when I return the car to stock and remove my tune just so I don't have any other issues to deal with.

Uuugghh.
'17 XSport

ZSHO

Sorry to hear about the mischief! It could be related to the Front axle (Half-shaft) causing your oil leak! Please Keep us updated. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Could be oil feed line, and/or the turbo itself.  Check the intercooler and accessible turbo piping in the meantime to see if anything is pooling in there.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

r1crusher

Never got around to posting a couple quick picks of the installed "stuff".  So here's a quick pick of a rear freshly installed and a front (super filthy from sitting and not getting a bath) after bedding them in.

'17 XSport

Agentlongwood

Quote from: r1crusher on April 29, 2019, 10:51:08 PM
Never got around to posting a couple quick picks of the installed "stuff".  So here's a quick pick of a rear freshly installed and a front (super filthy from sitting and not getting a bath) after bedding them in.

I actually like the pattern on the rotors with those wheels.  Nice.  Now it's time to paint those calipers!
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

ZSHO

Sweeeet!  :thumb: Did you Flush the brake fluid! Best of luck.  Z

r1crusher

Quote from: Agentlongwood on April 30, 2019, 12:01:21 AM
I actually like the pattern on the rotors with those wheels.  Nice.  Now it's time to paint those calipers!

I did consider painting the calipers and brackets but knowing that I will likely be tearing apart the fronts to replace boots or the entire calipers I didn't want to do the work twice.

Quote from: ZSHO on April 30, 2019, 06:31:18 AM
Sweeeet!  :thumb: Did you Flush the brake fluid! Best of luck.  Z

Same as above Z.  I know there's more to be done so didn't seem logical to do a bleed twice.

Besides...the major oil leak is taking priority at the moment.  This will likely be the last set of brakes I do on the car as it will likely have 140-150k miles on it when these wear out and I might be looking for something else before then.
'17 XSport

CanadianSHO

I just swapped my 2010 to 2014 brakes with exactly those rotors and akebono pads and am super happy with the upgrade!  Not going to change the master cylinder because I like the progressive feel of the 2010 master cylinder.
2010 SHO with 2014 PI brakes, SSMP torque mounts, noisemaker eliminated